Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#145314 - 01/29/05 04:46 PM Arrgghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
What a day I had. Front right bearing went out on my GTP so yesterday I went to my local parts store and picked up a new hub for 147.00. So today I decide to tackle the job. I had every intention on doing a step by step pictorial on how to change the hub, but ole' Murphy had to lend a hand. 1st I didn't have the two prong puller to push the axle off the hub so before I started I bought one. So I get home start takin pics taking the front end apart and I can't find my axle nut socket (it's 36 mm by the way) So off to the store again to pick up a new one. Now I got the caliper bracket off the hub nut off and now it's time to remove the bolts holding the hub on. 1st ones a pain, the second one strips (mind you I only use six point sockets so how the heck does that happen?) the third one strips slightly but still able to get the bolt out. Back to the second one I end up having to cut the sucker out. Now it's about 4 pm so I run down to Napa for some new bolts and there closed. Arrggggg..
So now this is how my car has to sit over nite. And by the way today's my birthday what a present to myself ehh.

The car is sitting on some 4x4s I took the picture while I was adjusting the hight for my blocks.

PS ABS sensor part of the hub was destroyed while removing the hub. You can see it in the pic. The blue part of the new hub is the ABS sensor. The old hub on the left you can see the bearings and the red stuff is the grease they use at the factory. Also looks like this spring I'll be changing the rotors frown I just might pony up the cash and get the 12 inch upgrade smile I'll have to see how the finances go.
#145315 - 01/29/05 05:07 PM Re: Arrgghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Happy Birthday.

That sucks so much. You shouldn't be doing your own car repair on your birthday. Where's your wife?
#145316 - 01/29/05 06:49 PM Re: Arrgghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Thank you smile wife was busy running back and forth from the car to tool box smile
#145317 - 01/29/05 07:46 PM Re: Arrgghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Your not alone in the bolt problem,when I changed mine the same deal the backing bolts were imposible to not strip the heads off ,ended up cutting them off ,I made sure when i reinstalled i used some never sieze on the bolts,F--king bad design if you ask me ,are you changing both sides because i can tell you if one is gone the others not far behind.
#145318 - 01/29/05 10:09 PM Re: Arrgghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Damn Herc, sorry to hear you're having problems... and on you B-day.
Well, suck down a couple of cold ones and happy birthday, what's left of it.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#145319 - 01/29/05 11:54 PM Re: Arrgghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
stingray-45 Offline
Loc: nova scotia canada
Sorry to see your perdicament Hercman'with all the help you have gave us you would think things would go better for you but some times I think a bad start leads to a good finish on a job like that.In your case I hope so. Hap. Brithday
3.4" pulley, K&N FWI, 3" downpipe, RT. CAT Air temp modules 180 t-stat TR55IX Iridium plugs crossover pipe heat wrapping u-bend delete.Intense PCM time run 14:39@96:78,60FT2.390 http://www.cardomain.com/id/stingray45
#145320 - 01/30/05 01:12 AM Re: Arrgghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
Murphy always serves up the nicest B-day presents a man could ever cuss for...I hate it when that happens...I guess I'm getting into old fogey mode cuz more and more I just keep takin mine to the shop for the bigger maint jobs that I dont have the tools for...I still like doin mods myself (I guess that feels more like playing)...and the sucker never seems to want to break when the weather is nice (Mr Murphy again!)...anyways, hope you get it all straight.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#145321 - 01/30/05 01:21 AM Re: Arrgghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hello,

Happy Birthday Herc!!!

Be careful with that 2 ton jack....My buddy had one of those fold over on him.

Later now,
Clint

http://pdxcgp.com
#145322 - 01/30/05 08:49 AM Re: Arrgghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
What you can't see is the 4x4s placed between the frame and the ground smile I'm only doing the one for now The other will wait till failure at least I'll know what to expect smile And hopefully the weather will be warmer.
#145323 - 01/30/05 12:44 PM Re: Arrgghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Ok here's an update.

Went to Napa when they opened. They were no help. All they had that was close was some grade 8.8 (about a standard grade 5) Originals are a grade 10.9 (standard grade 8). I ask if they could order some and they said no we don't have a number for those. So I figuere time to head to the stealership. But wait I'm in Maine all the dealerships are closed on sundays frown So I say to myself I wonder what true value might have. So I bepop on over and wouldn't you know it they have what I need. True Value saves the day. So I'm happy to say that my car is all back together in one piece. And Chico now that the big noise is gone I can here the other side startin to moan as well frown But that one can wait till spring. smile
#145324 - 01/30/05 07:52 PM Re: Arrgghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
InitialDGP Offline
Loc: Germantown, Maryland USA
Sorry to hear about your b-day dilemma herc, glad it all worked out. You gonna post that step-by-step on your site?
Modified 2001 Grand Prix GT 3800 Red/Orange Kills: Acura RSX type-S, Early 90's Rx-7, Mustang 5.0GT, Modded Cavalier, Assorted Civics, Assorted Integras, Sentra SE-R Spec-V, F-150, Early Modded Golf, Modded GP SE, Stock GP GT, Altima 2.5S, Maxima. Killed By: Modded RSX-S, Heavily Modded Older RX-7, 2005 Altima 3.5, VW Bora Modded, Modded Turbo'd Jetta. Now retired till further modification.
#145325 - 01/30/05 08:43 PM Re: Arrgghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
It won't be a pictorial because I got flustered and forgot to take pics along the way. If it wasn't for the bolts stipping the job should take about an hour or two. The only special tools needed is a two or three prong puller, a 36mm socket and a torque wrench that will go upto 100ft pounds. oh and a heavy hammer to pound on the old hub. They tend to stick to the inside of the spindle.
#145326 - 02/01/05 11:30 AM Re: Arrgghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
This is a bit late but Happy Belated B-Day.

Glad to hear your GP is fine.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#145327 - 02/01/05 01:17 PM Re: Arrgghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
Alex Offline
Loc: Mexico City
Happy birthday!!!!

It will be once you finish this work, you'll enjoy it.

Alex cheers

----------------------------------
My GP went away after more than 5 years of nice driving, good trips all along mexican territory, some mods, stories and headaches, I'm gonna miss it!
----------------------------------
#145328 - 02/02/05 01:40 AM Re: Arrgghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
happy belated bday, man.

i guess i lucked out, cause i took mine in to have something else looked at and get a 4 wheel alignment, and they replaced the tierods and front wheel bearing hub assemblies on both sides and all i ad to pay was the 50 deduct from my ext warranty cheers )

crazy devilgrin
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
#145329 - 02/02/05 03:24 AM Re: Arrgghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
JPGTP Offline
Loc: Colorado Springs
Sorry murphy showed up, but happy B-day DUDE. laugh cheers