Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#145774 - 09/13/02 11:12 PM struts
Adam15612 Offline
Loc: PA
hey,

My 98 GTP has about 85000 miles on it and when i drive over gravel, it feels likee the suspension is loose...you can really hear and feel that something isn't right with the front end somewhere...itz fine on paved roads though....i think it needs new struts...I know itz not the steering because i had the whole rack replaced less than a month ago...any ideas???? Thanks
#145775 - 09/15/02 02:39 PM Re: struts
Ferb Offline
Loc: San Luis Obispo, CA
Any possibility it's the bushings or ball-ends? I doubt it's the struts since if those go out you'll just have a pogoing ride or just a very harsh one, not a hard to control car.

How is the car in turning? If you make a quick sharp turn does the car wallow and seem like more of a yacht?

ferb!
#145776 - 09/16/02 07:37 PM Re: struts
Adam15612 Offline
not really sure what is wrong with it....My uncle said it needs struts cause it does go like a pogo stick over some rough roads...but I dunno bout the other stuff...what i am concerned with is wheni go over gravel I feel and hear something very loose in the front end and it feels like suspension and other people have noticed it as well...uhh so how would I find out if it is the bushings or whatever else...thanks for the input...cause I am a dumbass when it comes to this kinda stuff...would it have anything to do with sway bars?
#145777 - 09/17/02 11:35 AM Re: struts
Ferb Offline
Loc: San Luis Obispo, CA
At 85,000 miles it probably DOES need new struts, but i doubt this will cure your sloppy steering problem. Uhm. I would say take it to a front-end shop you trust and have them look at it.

There are bushings in all of the components up front, so it would be hard to say where to look and what you're looking for. But if you put it up on jackstands SAFELY and try to shimmy the tire around. It should be very stiff and not wiggle. If it does, immediately take it in.

(remember, it's up on jackstands when you're doing this, so don't be an idiot. don't try to knock the car over, just give a little pressure to make sure everything feels firm)

ferb!
#145778 - 09/17/02 11:42 PM Re: struts
EVIL98GT Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
1. i never read where adam was complaining of a steering problem. he said he is feeling a rattling or something not right.

2. i agree with the struts being bad. i had one that litterly rattle in the rear of my car. once replaced was fine.

3. i would do the struts before taking it to the shop cuz they are first gonna say you need struts.

4.i dont' know about other people here but my car had 82k when i change the factory struts they where junk. my KYB are pretty nice. My mom has a 99 gt 48k and it has factory and rides worse than mine did. i think GM fact susp is no good.
#145779 - 09/18/02 05:56 PM Re: struts
Adam15612 Offline
So how much do you think new struts cost....I'm only in college.....lol nuff said....lol....and any suggestions on which to buy???
#145780 - 09/26/02 10:57 AM Re: struts
cap Offline
Loc: Canada
Adam I got a '97 GTP with 55K on it and have the same problem (I think) as you describe. Front end is all fine including the shocks. My problem is coming from the left front. Dealership hears it also but both of us are damned if we can find out where it is coming from. Almost sounds like a body panel or wheel well liner that is loose. Only happens on a dirt road and only when I am moving about 50MPH. I'm trying to find someone to run that fast beside the car or ride on the hood but can't find any volunteers. laugh This reply won't help but thought I let you know that, I think we have the same problem---and misery loves company. I'm waiting for the shock change and then I'll 'gut' the front end, if I have to.
#145781 - 09/26/02 08:16 PM Re: struts
Adam15612 Offline
You are right.....the sound comes from the left front side because when i go over a diagonal speed bump...the right side doesn't make the sound but when the left tire hits it...it sounds and feels like something is loose up front...I dunno what it could be but if you ever find out...please post it...thanks

adam
#145782 - 09/27/02 12:19 AM Re: struts
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hello,
I used to hear a clunking in the left front of the engine bay after I installed my CAI box. I don't know if any of you have after market intakes, but, this was the culprit on my car. I installed sticky foam tape in the appropriate places to solve my problem.
Just my $.02
Later now,

http://pdxcgp.com