Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#146200 - 04/10/05 07:09 PM Anyone not sure if they should raise their spoiler? 56k beware
DoberManJT Offline
Loc: North Carolina - Raleigh/Cary
Sky is blue, humidity is almost non-existent, clouds are small, white and fluffy, bees are buzzing and all that jazz. So, I decided it would be a great opportunity to pull the spoiler off, do a quick clean-up, add my hose washers and re-install..... if only....
I urge fellow GPers to get underneath that spoiler and fix the damage before it gets any worse.
edit: LOL I love how in this first pic my car is clean and shiny, with even a bit of sun "gleam" at the top of the picture. clean clean clean then WHAM line of grime

After a lot of cleaning and some touch-up painting to fix a TON of scratches and flaws in the paint...

And the finished product - not a drastic change asthetically, but I poured some water from the top and it drained easily and freely

04 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, LPE intake system, headers, dyno tune from "RPM"

http://photobucket.com/albums/v221/Dobermanjt/GrandPrix/
#146201 - 04/10/05 07:27 PM Re: Anyone not sure if they should raise their spoiler? 56k beware
Jose Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
how did you raise it?
#146202 - 04/10/05 07:32 PM Re: Anyone not sure if they should raise their spoiler? 56k beware
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
By using hose washers between the spoiler and the decklid.
#146203 - 04/10/05 07:37 PM Re: Anyone not sure if they should raise their spoiler? 56k beware
Jose Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
whats a hose washer?
#146204 - 04/10/05 07:47 PM Re: Anyone not sure if they should raise their spoiler? 56k beware
DoberManJT Offline
Wal-mart, .80 cents for a pack of 10 rubber hose washers. I found 'em in red and just put on a coat of car-matching paint. I believe Herc may have a link on his website through one of the various "how-to" lists on this procedure. A little time-consuming to do the touch-up correctly but not a difficult modification.

#146205 - 04/10/05 08:01 PM Re: Anyone not sure if they should raise their spoiler? 56k beware
Stock97GTP Offline
Loc: Michigan
Did you also add that foam tape to the spoiler edges?
#146206 - 04/10/05 09:01 PM Re: Anyone not sure if they should raise their spoiler? 56k beware
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
I think it may cause more problems in the long run. Especially when it comes time for pine trees to shed their needles and leaves to fall off the trees. Let us know how it holds out.
#146207 - 04/10/05 09:19 PM Re: Anyone not sure if they should raise their spoiler? 56k beware
DoberManJT Offline
I ripped that foam crap off, it was on the spoiler, along with a lot of other strips and pieces of adhesive, seemed that over time it was shredding and tearing the paint.
Rook - raising the spoiler allows debris to flow easily under it, keeping that gunk from becoming trapped in a tight space

#146208 - 04/10/05 09:36 PM Re: Anyone not sure if they should raise their spoiler? 56k beware
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Wow, has anyone else raised theirs?

The rubber seal on mine was bad when I first got the car, so the water would run into the bolt holes and into my trunk lid. I had the stealership fix that pronto since it was in warranty.

Thinking it might be a good idea to raise it up after seeing those pics.
#146209 - 04/10/05 10:07 PM Re: Anyone not sure if they should raise their spoiler? 56k beware
Canadian GTP Offline
Loc: Edmonton Alberta
Interesting... Thanks for the pix DoberMan! I just may do mine this coming weekend now.

Cheers!

Intense PCM, 3.5" Pulley, SLP C.A.I, 3" D/P, Flipped FSB, U-Bend Delete, Flowmaster 50 Series, Autolite 605's, Drilled 180 Thermo, Falken FK-451's (245/45ZR18), Motegi FF7 Hyper Black 18x7.5, SS Grills, Tint & Overlays here and there.
#146210 - 04/10/05 11:08 PM Re: Anyone not sure if they should raise their spoiler? 56k beware
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Quote:
Originally posted by DoberManJT:
Rook - raising the spoiler allows debris to flow easily under it, keeping that gunk from becoming trapped in a tight space
I know, but the current gunk is small stuff (grime, petals). I'm thinking at it's current height, that stuff won't get stuck, but it's still low enough to allow in slightly bigger things like leaves, and just like a gutter they'll plug the gap and capture other things. I think the best solution would be a tri-annual "removing of the spoiler" ceremony. crazy
#146211 - 04/11/05 12:43 AM Re: Anyone not sure if they should raise their spoiler? 56k beware
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
one more thread that positively convinces me that I want a pedestal spoiler for my car!...in the meantime I may have to pull mine.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#146212 - 04/11/05 05:32 AM Re: Anyone not sure if they should raise their spoiler? 56k beware
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
One word of warning if you bought your car used make sure before you remove your spoiler that someone has given the car a cheap repaint without removing the spoiler,if they have your going to have a magor fu--up on your hands.
#146213 - 04/11/05 09:51 AM Re: Anyone not sure if they should raise their spoiler? 56k beware
kustomkid54 Offline
Loc: Florida
Have the same spoiler. What come with it is a joke. Took over 3" of water out of the trunk the first time it went to the car wash.
Receive this from a good friend. He lives in Washington, I'm in Florida. Not only did he send fix, but he also sent parts. That's a friend.
He is he's list of parts and how to.
Oh, trunk has never leaked after.

Here are the instructions that I posted at ClubGP.Do you want me to get the bolt's also and how would you like it shipped??

Larry

When you mount the spoiler its best to get longer bolts...Like I said in my other post I bought 1in x 1/4 bolts (same style as the ones from SLP only longer).also 3 flat washers and flat rebber washers to go behind them and they had a box of bonded neoprene washers.If you have a Lowes look in there bins with all the special hardware and find the flat rubber washers that are 1/4 x 1 1/4 and pick up 12 of these and some clear rtv silicone...first mount the rubber washers with a light coat of silicone and put them over the holes and then do that to the other six,so now you have doubled up the rubber washers(do not cover the holes that are for ventalation (as the body shop said that it needs to breath)...give them a hour or two to adhere..now get the bolts ready...take three of the bolt's and put washer's on them, then put on the bonded neoprene washers,those three bolts will be for the window side...now for the back three bolts,just put on the bonded neoprene washers...when you tigthen up the bolts closest to the window, keep an eye on the spoiler, you dont want the tip of the screw to go thru the spoiler...which I didnt have any problems!!...You will be able to see a slight gap between the spoiler and the trunk which is fine .... as I tigthen the bolts I could see the spoiler go against the trunk lid and against the rubber washers....once you tigthen the bolts up do a double check over them again as I found a few that I got tigther...just remember that the holes in the spoiler are fiberglass and you do not want to over tigthen them....Oh and dont use the foam tape as water will run under the spoiler now and you wount have all that mess that you started with under there from the stock spoiler...I hope this helps you out....good luck........Larry
#146214 - 04/11/05 10:35 AM Re: Anyone not sure if they should raise their spoiler? 56k beware
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Great job Dober! thumbsup
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >