Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147171 - 09/09/05 11:06 AM Re: Might be selling the GP.. again.
parablazer Offline
Loc: Texas
Ok so i just got off the phone with the guy at the shop and he gave me a price. He said it would be $1500 for everything, thats tune up (new pcv valve, clean the throttle body, plugs and wires, air filter fuel filter, brand new radiator, and coolants, plus the kyb struts. Sounds like a good price to me now i just need some more money. cheers
#147172 - 09/14/05 11:29 PM Re: Might be selling the GP.. again.
Evolution Offline
Loc: Southington CT
Excellent choice, Para. Im glad you decided to keep the GP after all. 1500 seems a bit high, but then again I had to pay a mechanic 467$ to find out I needed a new EGR and plugs. I had massive engine problems too, which turned out to be a clogged cat. Be careful of mechanics, theyre all out there to make money(I dont mean to be offensive to mechanics, but Ive had bad luck with them in the past).

'97 GTP
Devils Own Progressive Alcohol Injection, TB Spacer, MSD Ignition, TR55s, IPCM, 2.5" Exhaust (no cat) with Borla Muffs, FWI, 2 Pod A-Pillar, 3.4", 160* T-Stat, PowerSlots,
#147173 - 09/15/05 10:00 AM Re: Might be selling the GP.. again.
parablazer Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Evolution:
Be careful of mechanics, theyre all out there to make money(I dont mean to be offensive to mechanics, but Ive had bad luck with them in the past).
I know I've had some horrible time with mechanics. With my first car the vw i bought perfromance mtor mounts for it and a new tranny mount. I ask the mechanic (who i thought was a good guy) to change the motor mounts and tranny mount with the one i had bought (the performance mounts). i left the car there with him and about 800 dollars later he replaced the mounts. then i had to have him do another mount because i found one of the mounts in my car that he had supposedly forgot to put in. i thought that was a little iffy. and it costed me another 100 dollars or so. After the wreck in my car it was totaled and i had to pull the engine to sell it and when we removed the motor mounts well guess what... THEY WERE REPLACED WITH STOCK MOUNTS. i was pissed as hell cus i had just lost like over 1400 dollars worth of mounts there and i never told him anything about it but next time i take any of my cars there which doubt i even will im gonna make sure he does it right and stand there and watch him do it. This guy im taking my car to right now i get it all tuned up and what not has the lowest price and best work outta the people i take my car to. hes really close to my house also. Champions Auto Care i think its called. its around 1438 but plus tax its gonna be about 1500.
#147174 - 09/15/05 11:16 AM Re: Might be selling the GP.. again.
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Lets have a rundown of part cost:
PCV: $3
Plugs: $12-40
Wires: $15-50
Air filter: $12
Fuel Filter: $6
Coolant: $20
Radiator: $300 (lifetime warr)
KYB: Wasn't it around $140~ for the ClubGP deal?

So, that's around $512-575 depending on what plugs and wires you choose. He's making quite a bit of profit on labor. If you've got a ratchet set, you can do all of that yourself (with a spring compressor/jack for the struts). Just be aware of what your getting.

The only mechanic I take my stuff to has a garage not even 2 miles down the road and we know his whole family (mom, dad, sister, etc.). He's even fixed some things and not charged a dime.
#147175 - 09/15/05 01:53 PM Re: Might be selling the GP.. again.
parablazer Offline
I was thinking about doing it myself, but I wouldn't really trust it cus i really suck at cars, and I don't know much about them. I can ask my bro to help me he knows alot he even put my cold air intake on for me but hes busy with his own stuff with his GN. So I'm just gonna send it to the shop. It costs more but 1500 compared to the 1900 I got anywere else is a good price to me so yea, and this way I'll know that its done right oor atleast I'll hope its done right hah thumbsup
#147176 - 09/15/05 02:02 PM Re: Might be selling the GP.. again.
parablazer Offline
Is there any certain kind of Thermostat that i should get if i wanted to change mine to a lower temp. one? I figured i would either ask the guy at the shop im sending my car to or I would just pick one up and then ask him to install it. Just wanted to know if there was a good brand i should get or does it even matter? Thanks
#147177 - 09/15/05 02:41 PM Re: Might be selling the GP.. again.
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by RooK:

KYB: Wasn't it around $140~ for the ClubGP deal?
Nope. $180 shipped. devilgrin
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#147178 - 09/15/05 02:43 PM Re: Might be selling the GP.. again.
framos242 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by parablazer:
Is there any certain kind of Thermostat that i should get if i wanted to change mine to a lower temp. one?
No. I say it's more of a personal choice. Stant has one. I have Failsafe. As long as it's 180* or 160*, you'll be good to go. laugh
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

#147179 - 09/15/05 05:26 PM Re: Might be selling the GP.. again.
parablazer Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by framos242:
Quote:
Originally posted by parablazer:
[b] Is there any certain kind of Thermostat that i should get if i wanted to change mine to a lower temp. one?
No. I say it's more of a personal choice. Stant has one. I have Failsafe. As long as it's 180* or 160*, you'll be good to go. laugh [/b]
Kool thanks
#147180 - 09/16/05 11:57 AM Re: Might be selling the GP.. again.
parablazer Offline
Anyone else have any things that i have missed on the upkeep of this car? I'm gettin the tune up and new radiator, and kyb's plus a new t-stat. anything else yall can think of that i might wanna do? Oh and if there is were can i get the part to have it changed? My car is going to the shop next week when i have the money to pay for the work so i would like to knwo this befor monday so i can drop off my car with everything that needs to be done. thanks
#147181 - 09/16/05 01:04 PM Re: Might be selling the GP.. again.
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Turbo
#147182 - 09/16/05 01:56 PM Re: Might be selling the GP.. again.
framos242 Offline
Change the fluids??

#147183 - 09/16/05 02:24 PM Re: Might be selling the GP.. again.
parablazer Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by framos242:
Change the fluids??
I changed the fluids already, tranny oil is royal purple, engine oil is royal purple, im gettin new coolant also and the S/C oil was changed also. if i have missed anything then pls tell me.

Quote:
Originally posted by ordonez1307:
Turbo
I wish cheers
I'll stick with whats in my sig haha thumbsup
#147184 - 09/16/05 03:05 PM Re: Might be selling the GP.. again.
framos242 Offline
Power steerling fluid and brake fluid.

Just to be on the safe side.

#147185 - 09/16/05 03:07 PM Re: Might be selling the GP.. again.
parablazer Offline
Kool i was just thinking that also. Should i get some new brake lines or jsut stick with what i got? The brakes dont seem hard and they brake fine just wanted to know if yall think i should. the car has over 150000 miles on it. thanks