Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147774 - 06/03/04 03:06 PM vibration
Brainchild Offline
Loc: Conroe,Texas
Hey,guys,

I have a 1998 GTP.I started hearing,or feeling a slight vibration when i turn the wheels about 5 to 10 degrees to the right,like when i go around a curve.the front tires are new and have been balanced,it happens regardless of speed,and only happens when curving to the right.does anybody have any idea what that can be?

Brain
#147775 - 06/03/04 03:43 PM Re: vibration
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Sounds like it could be more involved than a balancing problem. My friend had this problem (not in a Grand Prix) and it was the front axle.
#147776 - 06/03/04 03:48 PM Re: vibration
Jules Offline
Loc: Edinburg, Texas
I don't have the answer to your question, but I have also noticed that my car (2000 GT) also has a slight vibration when i am driving it. the tires are new and i thought that maybe i had a ball on the frt. driver side tire. I can also feel a slight vibration when i hold the steering wheel. confused confused
#147777 - 06/03/04 05:27 PM Re: vibration
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
Could be a steering rack problem. There are more than one type of vibrations but this could be it as this was the problem on my 99 gt(eventually led to teh sale of the car) So that could be it as well.....Or some other steering component or axle/cv joint
#147778 - 06/03/04 08:38 PM Re: vibration
scrap Offline
Loc: wisconsin
These newer grand prix seem to be really picky about what tires you put on them. I've seen it a few times where someone buys a cheap tire and that happens. Did you buy the same tire that was on there? How about the speed rating is that the same? It could be other problems also like a cv axle or even a brake rotor. Maybe when they installed your tires they overtorqued your lug nuts and warrped your rotors. It can happen. If you just started to notice it after you changed your tires though I would bet its a tire problem.
#147779 - 06/03/04 08:59 PM Re: vibration
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
Could also be defective tire, even tho it balances off the car when it is on the car is a whole different story, if you have had the tires long you can whine to teh place you bought them from and try to buy new ones......i did it before and the problem was defective tires shouldnt have been on a car....
#147780 - 06/04/04 11:52 AM Re: vibration
blown_gp Offline
Loc: Memphis
Quote:
Originally posted by scrap:
Maybe when they installed your tires they overtorqued your lug nuts and warrped your rotors.
dude I have never heard of that one... I think is a tire thing,,, because things are new doesn`t mean that they are perfect,,,don`t believe me, ask someone that bought a new car and had to go back to the dealer several times for several problems, that "Has" been known to happen, those tires might be defective from the manufacturer, I would go back to the tire folks & tell them about the vibration you are experiencing..
#147781 - 06/05/04 09:26 PM Re: vibration
EireForce Offline
Loc: Cambridge, Mass
I had a similar problem when turning my steering wheel slightly to the left. I was told I needed new wheel bearings. Fortunately, the warranty covered it.