Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147976 - 04/07/04 09:23 PM Looking at a 2000 GTP - any advice?
Fulton 1 Offline
Loc: WA
Hi all,

I'm new to the board and new to the GP. I'm looking for a reliable daily driver since I already have a few garage queens smile and I've run across a one owner 2000 GTP 4dr with 45k miles that's priced very attractively. I'm planning on taking a test drive and, if I'm happy with it, purchasing the car this weekend.

The problem is that I'm really not very familiar with the L67 (although I've had my share of GM front drivers in the past, none have been a 3.8 V6). I have a routine checklist of stuff that I look for in a used car and I'll be bringing my AutoTap just for fun. I've also run a carfax and its clean.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any tips or advice that you guys might have as far as things that I should be looking/listening for with this model and year (if there are any).

Thanks!

Joe
#147977 - 04/07/04 09:34 PM Re: Looking at a 2000 GTP - any advice?
terapinn2000GTP Offline
Loc: Oklahoma city
I have a 2000 GTP. I bought it with 42,000 on it. I now have 60,000 and not a single problem at all. They are great cars and the L67 is bullet proof if you take care of it. I did have to flush the tranny and change the super charger oil which had not been done yet and I switched to synthetic valvoline right after I bought it but other than that.... They are really easy to work on and there is an abundance of parts and very easy to find at good prices if anything does go wrong with it. How much are they asking for it? If it is a descent price and they let you take it to a mechanic and put it on a lift and check it with your list then I would say get it. There are a lot of light mods you can do that wont affect the drivability or reliability of a daily driver. Plus being able to smoke a mustang GT and many other sports cars brings a smile to my face everytime I see the puzzled look on their face in my rearview mirror. LOL
#147978 - 04/08/04 02:42 AM Re: Looking at a 2000 GTP - any advice?
pontiacmatt98 Offline
Loc: Macon, Georgia
Yeah terrapin..you aint lying about that..it was pretty sweet when I smoked that fox body Mustang the other day..but yeah though Joe..if its been taken care of and you have all the records for it and the price is right, then Id go for it. Ive had mine for about 6 weeks now and I LOVE IT!! Best handling car I think Ive ever driven and Im an auto mechanic/tire technician, so Ive driven a lotta cars in my time.. withstupid
#147979 - 04/08/04 06:56 AM Re: Looking at a 2000 GTP - any advice?
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
You sound like you have most of the bases covered, the 3.8 is a practically bullet proof motor if properly maintained,drive the car play special notice to shifting as i have noticed many trans. issues with these cars also check for wheel bearing noise,sounds like tire whine these bearing's are quite expensive to replace lot's of luck & enjoy your new ride.
#147980 - 04/08/04 09:39 AM Re: Looking at a 2000 GTP - any advice?
Adam S. Offline
Loc: Milwaukee, Wi
Sounds like you've got a good opportunity with that 2000 GTP. Everyone else pretty much accurately summed it up; the car will last you a long time, assuming of course that you give it the proper maintenance. In general, it is a durable, easy to service, smooth fun car which is still very practical. I'm a stickler for maintenance, so if you buy it, I'd go through and service the trans. filter and fluid, fuel filter, check brakes, etc. Also change the s/c oil right away. If you can afford to run synthetic trans fluid and motor oil, all the better. You might also want to flush the injectors and fuel system, and check things like spark plugs, etc. There's really not any huge expensive failures with these cars. I have heard of some transmission issues, but not all that often. Yes, front wheel/hub bearing will go bad from time to time and are expensive, but this is the case with many front drive cars. Good luck!
#147981 - 04/08/04 10:22 AM Re: Looking at a 2000 GTP - any advice?
Fulton 1 Offline
Loc: WA
Great input. Thanks.

For the last few years I've been buying new cars, but I'm also a stickler for maintenance - with a used car I will go through everything (plugs, wires, fluids, brakes, etc) just for my own peace of mind. I will also make sure to change the SC oil right away - that seems pretty straightforward. I always run synthetics (usually Redline) and probably will not mod the car beyond some basic intake/exhaust stuff.

Anyway, thanks again for the inputs and I'll report back in a couple of days smile
#147982 - 04/08/04 04:06 PM Re: Looking at a 2000 GTP - any advice?
why2kmax Offline
Loc: Bel Air Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by Fulton 1:
Hi all,

I'm new to the board and new to the GP. I'm looking for a reliable daily driver since I already have a few garage queens smile and I've run across a one owner 2000 GTP 4dr with 45k miles that's priced very attractively. I'm planning on taking a test drive and, if I'm happy with it, purchasing the car this weekend.

The problem is that I'm really not very familiar with the L67 (although I've had my share of GM front drivers in the past, none have been a 3.8 V6). I have a routine checklist of stuff that I look for in a used car and I'll be bringing my AutoTap just for fun. I've also run a carfax and its clean.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any tips or advice that you guys might have as far as things that I should be looking/listening for with this model and year (if there are any).

Thanks!

Joe
I bought my 2000 GTP with 27k on it last year. Did the trans flush (not drain and fill) flushed the radiator, changed the blower oil and Im at 55,600 now and the only thing to complain about is the drivers seat padding is weak and flat on the left side (prob cuz of my fat A$$ mostly) the brakes are HORRIBLE in the rain when wet until they dry off, the right tie rod end died at $35,000 or so $35 fix and the rear speakers died. The car is an excellent daily driver. Id buy another one in a minute and will once this one dies unless GTOs are going cheap.

Parts arent that expensive if you know where to shop and its a fun car to drive.

Good luck
Jeff