Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#149010 - 01/14/10 02:38 PM Re: MAF CODE Fail? *Issue Terminated*
theone2043 Offline
Loc: Pocono, PA
Well I'm back to square one. The fuse keeps on popping. I felt the o2 harness and that seems fine. I have a new o2 and the correct pnp extension. The only thing left is the maf. I cut the two wires cause I thought it might've been that before. As I was testing the maf plug and I thought those two wires were crossed. So I tried them the other way and it was the same. That's when I found out it was the fuse. Since then I have tried to splice them back together. None of the wires are bare and it seems they are making a good connection. I should just go out and solder them but haven't had time. So from the time I replaced my o2 till now it was fine. Sunday is when I noticed the fused popped, Monday after work I replaced the fuse. Tuesday I went to work and scanned the car after and it was fine. Went to court Wednesday I didn't scan until after it and I noticed I didn't have the maf reading so it only lasted a short time. I noticed before with the o2 as soon as the car was in the "on" position it would pop it instantly. Do you think it has something to do with the MAF wires or something else?
#149011 - 01/15/10 10:14 AM Re: MAF CODE Fail? *Issue Terminated*
theone2043 Offline
bump!
#149012 - 01/16/10 12:18 PM Re: MAF CODE Fail? *Issue Terminated*
20gtp02 Offline
Have you eliminated the 02 as a culprit?
I solder all my wires.
What did you do just before you had this issue, as in what mod were you trying to accomplish?

#149013 - 01/16/10 02:12 PM Re: MAF CODE Fail? *Issue Terminated*
theone2043 Offline
This all started happening when I did headers, and I did a shitty job trying to extend the o2. Since then I have replaced the o2 and got the correct extension wire. I know its not the o2 cause before it would pop the fuse when the car was in the on position. But before I knew about that fuse and everything that is covered under the p0102 code I thought it was my maf so i tested the wires and thought two of them were crossed, so I cut and spliced and nothing. So I reconnected them back to stock. Now that I know more and the o2 is fine I think it might be the quick splice job. Last night I soldered the two wires and replaced the fuse. It was fine last night and after work today I'll scan the car and see what happens.
#149014 - 01/16/10 03:20 PM Re: MAF CODE Fail? *Issue Terminated*
theone2043 Offline
Just got back from outside and the fuse is out again. If it was a bare wire or a bad connection it would cause it to blow right away. Why do I get a day or so till it goes?
#149015 - 01/16/10 03:34 PM Re: MAF CODE Fail? *Issue Terminated*
theone2043 Offline
Can a bad maf blow a fuse, or is this something electrical?
#149016 - 01/16/10 04:46 PM Re: MAF CODE Fail? *Issue Terminated*
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
Quote:
Originally posted by theone2043:
If it was a bare wire or a bad connection it would cause it to blow right away.
Not necessarily true. Since it works for a while and seems to blow randomly, there's a good chance that motion or vibration is causing a fault.

I tried to read the whole thread, but did you replace the O2 sensor?
Is there a pattern to the fuse blowing? Such as a few minutes after running, or just completely random?

Also... DON'T run a much higher fuse than was in there. You could be asking for an engine fire. If you do it anyway, carry a fire extinguisher (everybody should anyway) and don't mind burning your hand, lol.
#149017 - 01/16/10 09:25 PM Re: MAF CODE Fail? *Issue Terminated*
theone2043 Offline
I think it seems to blow when I remote start it but can't say for sure. Today I remote started the car and it then it stalled out. So not sure if its that that is causing it to blow or not. I have replaced the front o2. I only ran that higher fuse once. I just put in my 97 gt maf, which looks different then the 98 maf but I don't have any 15 amp fuses so I have to wait till tomorrow to test it out.
#149018 - 01/17/10 09:10 AM Re: MAF CODE Fail? *Issue Terminated*
20gtp02 Offline
Kenya does that when there is a problem and we try and fix it, remote start.
It drives me insane.
Put the damn key in the car and start it freakin right.
So you had perfectly fine wiring for the maf, and you just go and cut it up????
I would try a spare maf setup if you have that option.

#149019 - 01/17/10 09:47 AM Re: MAF CODE Fail? *Issue Terminated*
theone2043 Offline
The only reason why I cut those two wires was because I was going by what the maf was telling me. I wasn't aware of the fuse and when I tested it I got a false reading. So I switched the two and still nothing. I have my org gt maf in now and I am going to get a new 15 amp fuse today.
#149020 - 01/17/10 10:36 AM Re: MAF CODE Fail? *Issue Terminated*
20gtp02 Offline
Tedious, but trial and error elimination is the way to go.
I would try swapping the whole maf things out.

#149021 - 01/18/10 03:19 PM Re: MAF CODE Fail? *Issue Terminated*
theone2043 Offline
Ok so I thought I got somewhere yesterday, I checked as much as the wire harness as I could and it all seemed fine. Today I tried to resolder the wires and the fuse keeps on popping, disconnected the o2 harness and the maf harness and it still popped. Recut the solder joints and it still is popping. I am at my wits end right now. What else is on this circuit?
#149022 - 01/18/10 09:31 PM Re: MAF CODE Fail? *Issue Terminated*
theone2043 Offline
Ok today's progress:

I disconnected the front o2, maf- which had the singal and power wire disconnected and not touching anything, tps, IAC, and the IGN 1-UH fuse kept on popping. I looked at a wire schematic and it seems the evap and egr go on the same path. So I dideced to rip everything out. I followed the maf sensor to both the pcm and fuse panel. I disconnected the egr and evap wires from the pcm and fuse, so those on not posing any issue's now. Fired it up and it seemed fine, granted I still had the singal and power wire to the maf disconnected. I reconnected those two wires and now I am back to step one.

I tried to follow the IGN 1-UH fuse wiring but it seems to be going low and to the firewall. What could be causing that thing to keep popping?

Side note, I have tried using my 97 gt maf and didn't change.
#149023 - 01/18/10 10:56 PM Re: MAF CODE Fail? *Issue Terminated*
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
You seem to know what you're doing. You really gotta trace the entire wire to everything that's connected to it. Its gotta be shorting somewhere. If its going to multiple things, disconnect one thing at a time... you seem to be doing that already. And you have the schematics. There's not much else we can help with at this point, but keep us posted.
Do you have another PCM you could try out?
#149024 - 01/18/10 11:20 PM Re: MAF CODE Fail? *Issue Terminated*
theone2043 Offline
I really don't have any idea what I am doing haha honestly... the schematic I am using is from a 98 haynes manual. I have already followed the maf harness to both the pcm and fuse. That was fine no bare wires except at my splice. The o2 is the same, no bare wires, and like I said o2 reads fine from my scan I have done. I am at a loss now. EGR and EVAP wires have been completely removed from the car expect for a ground and a tan wire that goes to a stock splice that has shrink wrap. I did not remove the shrink wrap, but I guess I can try that to make sure nothing has changed there.