Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#149074 - 10/08/04 07:40 AM My baby is injured
4rsssfed_grandprix98 Offline
Loc: South Bend
So I was on my way home last night, making a left into my apartment complex. I was going a little fast, but no faster than I usually go (around 30-35) and as I made my turn I hit a patch of asphalt gravel (the just re did the entry) my front tires broke loose and proceeded to slide directly into the curb. If I was smart I would have turned my wheels to the right and rode straight up onto it, but no, in my lack of infinant wisdom I kept my wheel cranked left hoping to find traction and pull out of it. Well when I hit the curb it ripped about (no exageration) 7-8 inches of the outer lip on my rim completely off, bent my sway arm, cracked my axle right behind the tire, and bent my subframe. I spoke with the insurance company yesterday, an adjuster should be out monday to look at it, I will definately take pix of it to show you guys, I was just a little pissed last night and didnt really feel like looking at it any longer than I had too.

I was planning on doing all the repairs myself but it turns out that my insurance company will only cut a check to the repair shop. Should I take this bad boy to the dealer to get fixed? I'm only gonna have to pay my deductible so I want to make sure that when it gets done it gets done right

VS Cam,CompCams lifters,ZZPpushrods,Rollmaster double,4"intake,PLog headers,3"exhaust,IntensePCM,3.3"mps,ZZPHDTrans,3.29gears,2500 stall,GMPP adjustable suspension,TB spacer,160*tstat
#149075 - 10/08/04 08:50 AM Re: My baby is injured
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
That sucks. Get us some pics and keep us posted how much they quote you for the repair.
#149076 - 10/08/04 08:53 AM Re: My baby is injured
Jizz Offline
Loc: Central Maryland
That sucks...good luck on getting it fixed. If your dealer is decent they should be able to do a pretty good job.
#149077 - 10/08/04 09:43 AM Re: My baby is injured
InitialDGP Offline
Loc: Germantown, Maryland USA
OUCH. Yea that definately bites. Try a half counter spin and then crank it left again to grab traction back on the dry pavement if you get that loose again while punching the brake as you turn it back left, should either send you 180 avoiding the curb or get you through it if you were 35+, just guessing dont know how it went down.

In my experience dealerships do a pretty good job but if you have a personal friend in a shop thats usually the way to go unless your insurance wants it done by the dealer. It sounds like your lookin at a hefty bill if you do it yourself so id just let the insurance be dominant as long as theyre payin majority and fix any messups you might find after they complete repairs.

Sorry to hear about your ride hope it works out for ya.
Modified 2001 Grand Prix GT 3800 Red/Orange Kills: Acura RSX type-S, Early 90's Rx-7, Mustang 5.0GT, Modded Cavalier, Assorted Civics, Assorted Integras, Sentra SE-R Spec-V, F-150, Early Modded Golf, Modded GP SE, Stock GP GT, Altima 2.5S, Maxima. Killed By: Modded RSX-S, Heavily Modded Older RX-7, 2005 Altima 3.5, VW Bora Modded, Modded Turbo'd Jetta. Now retired till further modification.
#149078 - 10/08/04 09:52 AM Re: My baby is injured
When I said I was doing the repairs my self, by that I ment getting the insurance money and doing the labor myself. But for some reason they will only cut the check to the repair shop and not myself, oh well

Thanks for the support guys, and I will definately have some pics for you on monday

VS Cam,CompCams lifters,ZZPpushrods,Rollmaster double,4"intake,PLog headers,3"exhaust,IntensePCM,3.3"mps,ZZPHDTrans,3.29gears,2500 stall,GMPP adjustable suspension,TB spacer,160*tstat
#149079 - 10/08/04 11:45 AM Re: My baby is injured
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
I feel your pain.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#149080 - 10/08/04 11:51 AM Re: My baby is injured
Alex Offline
Loc: Mexico City
Sorry to hear that,

Is a moment that nobody want to be in, hope your car get well.

Alex cheers

----------------------------------
My GP went away after more than 5 years of nice driving, good trips all along mexican territory, some mods, stories and headaches, I'm gonna miss it!
----------------------------------
#149081 - 10/08/04 01:06 PM Re: My baby is injured
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Take your car to what ever shop you want to have work on your car. Insurance companys cannot make you use one service provider over another. Good luck on finding competent work.
#149082 - 10/09/04 08:30 AM Re: My baby is injured
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
That sucks. How much do you think it will cost? Any chance of totalling it out?
#149083 - 10/09/04 11:04 AM Re: My baby is injured
I'm guessing the damages will total around $3000, I highly doubt they will total it, but if they do, that will be very sad, I will start my search for the next GP

#149084 - 10/09/04 11:39 AM Re: My baby is injured
InitialDGP Offline
Ah dont jynx it. From the damages you explained it doesent sound like theres any under the hood damage and if its only front right wheel and strut damage im sure its repairable. I bent a strut bar on my neon and mashed up the tire pretty good when I was first learning to drive, the damages were 1000 bucks but it still ran fine for another 90000 miles afterward and 3 years with only a broken water pump, blown gasket, and some other minor stuff. I wouldnt even worry.
Modified 2001 Grand Prix GT 3800 Red/Orange Kills: Acura RSX type-S, Early 90's Rx-7, Mustang 5.0GT, Modded Cavalier, Assorted Civics, Assorted Integras, Sentra SE-R Spec-V, F-150, Early Modded Golf, Modded GP SE, Stock GP GT, Altima 2.5S, Maxima. Killed By: Modded RSX-S, Heavily Modded Older RX-7, 2005 Altima 3.5, VW Bora Modded, Modded Turbo'd Jetta. Now retired till further modification.
#149085 - 10/09/04 05:18 PM Re: My baby is injured
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
Yeah rssfed be very careful of the insurance guy that comes out to look at the car. I had a fender bender with my old car 98 gt. Someone ran into me and there insurance adjuster was an asshole. Talking about they shouldnt fix it becuase it was an older car......be very leary of them they are not on your side..........even if it is your inurance company.

And initial........what the crap are you talking about spni a halfway doomerflatcher spinabout and whip it around hitting the rocket thrusters on teh last bank.......heheh just playing...i love seeing you talk about driving.......
#149086 - 10/10/04 08:33 PM Re: My baby is injured
InitialDGP Offline
Your welcome? blush ) Theyll do just about anything to avoid giving you some of that large amount of free money youve been forking over to keep your car legal.

BTW Only hit the rocket thrusters if you dont want to stop after punching the breaks approx 40-60% throttle if u mash it youll just fishtail into something else instead if your "rubbery pavement skiis" as zach would put it havent completely caught the road yet. devilgrin
#149087 - 10/11/04 09:31 AM Re: My baby is injured
Yeah, I will definately be there, and on the lookout cowboy when the insurance adjuster comes, also, my insurance agent is a close personal freind of the family so if anything shady does go down at least I will have somewhere to start that someone is on my side, anyhow, here are the awful pictures I promised, enjoy thumbsup

#149088 - 10/11/04 09:31 AM Re: My baby is injured

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >