Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#149162 - 06/20/05 12:35 AM Re: Going along with Canadian and Austin ..
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
well since I opened my mouth on this one I guess I better put up or shut up...here's the only shot I have of me and the T-Bat

Sorry!...fantasy pic crazy ...heres the real one!

maybe I'll get mine all cleaned up and get my hunny to shoot a better one...if anyone wants to kill this thread idea, now is the time lol

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#149163 - 06/20/05 12:50 AM Re: Going along with Canadian and Austin ..
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
this is the closest thing i have to a picture with "me" in it.

she posed nice didn't she
#149164 - 06/20/05 12:56 AM Re: Going along with Canadian and Austin ..
zuulmusic Offline
and i just have to post this. i think it's a sweet picture. i appreciate it when everyone else posts random cool photos too, so please do.... hah
#149165 - 06/20/05 08:27 AM Re: Going along with Canadian and Austin ..
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Looks good, zuul!

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#149166 - 06/20/05 09:56 AM Re: Going along with Canadian and Austin ..
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Hey zuul, did you do all the painting with the brackets and calipers still connected, or did you do like TBat, and remove them?

next time I do my brakes I'm going to be painting my calipers and brackets and I want to know what is easiest/best.
#149167 - 06/20/05 10:31 AM Re: Going along with Canadian and Austin ..
zuulmusic Offline
i removed the brackets.
i used the autozone spray caliper paint.
put the brackets on a sheet of cardboard for the painting, and the calipers like this:

make sure you cover all visible surfaces though.,
its a fun job to do!
#149168 - 06/20/05 10:40 AM Re: Going along with Canadian and Austin ..
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
I tried to get my butt up Sunday morning but I sat sat around watched the race and I realized that it around 5pm.... too late for me to paint the calipers. Maybe next week..... laugh

Zuul... thumbsup
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#149169 - 06/20/05 12:57 PM Re: Going along with Canadian and Austin ..
UMfan Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by zuulmusic:
i removed the brackets.
i used the autozone spray caliper paint.
put the brackets on a sheet of cardboard for the painting, and the calipers like this:

make sure you cover all visible surfaces though.,
its a fun job to do!
Interesting.

I wonder how that spray paint compares to G2 caliper paint which is brush on. I was planning on using G2, but spray paint would be easier...
#149170 - 06/20/05 01:18 PM Re: Going along with Canadian and Austin ..
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
You'll have more control with the G2. With the spray can, you will have to cover more surface areas so that you won't spray unwanted areas with paint.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#149171 - 06/20/05 02:08 PM Re: Going along with Canadian and Austin ..
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
the G2 is supposed to be some very tough stuff...but i've heard a thousand times that with paint, prep is everything...thats why I chose to remove everything. I used a wire brush wheel on my bench grinder to remove all the rusty gunk on the parts...after spray brake clean, I let the parts air dry (which was pretty quick) after which I sprayed the first coat of hi-temp enamel primer. I had set up all four calipers and brackets on some 2x4s, so I continued til I had shot the entire can of primer...I let them set for an hour and then began the rounds of red...same as before, I continued til I shot the entire can...after I finished cleaning the backing plates, I still waited a couple of hours before mounting the rotors and bolting on the brackets...they were still ever so slightly tacky so I gave the calipers another hour before I mounted those...I still mussed the paint ina few places during mounting and bleeding (remember to tape the bleeder valves if you wanna get a wrench on them later)...the job took ALL day and into the night before I was ready to roll...but well worth it...hey zuul!...for just a sec I thought I was lookin at my rotors!...nice job! looks great!

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#149172 - 06/21/05 01:07 AM Re: Going along with Canadian and Austin ..
zuulmusic Offline
my autozone caliper spray paint worked great, no problems. just dont spray the things from 3 feet away...watch the overspray is all.

i forgot to mention the intense prep work i did.... put a wire-wheel bit on a high RPM drill and went to town on the darn things. then hit up the brackets on a mounted wire wheel. then scrubbed everything with simple green, then rinsed and dried good with air compressor. maybe i went a bit too overboard, but my calipers were ugly with this salt-stain color and grime.

i put many of coats paint on everything... basically use up the can. and now as long as i dont let a ton of dirt build up on them, they stay clean as new.

also painted the dog bones under the hood at the same time with the same paint. consider that too; saves time and it will match perfect!
#149173 - 06/21/05 01:19 AM Re: Going along with Canadian and Austin ..
UMfan Offline
I don't have a bench grinder, high RPM drill, etc.

Do you think a dremel tool would work?
#149174 - 06/21/05 01:47 AM Re: Going along with Canadian and Austin ..
nad Offline
Loc: Imperial MO
I'm not really even quite sure on how to remove my calipers. Seems like every time I attempt something like that, I end up screwing something up really, really bad. So I'll probably end up painting mine and just masking everything off rather than taking a chance of screwing something up. cheers

-Dan-

SOLD-1998 Grand Prix GT with 148K. Infinity Reference 5.25s, Pioneer 4 way 6x9s, Yokohama AS430s, Open cone K&N intake, Front strut bar,180* Powerstat, Dual glasspack mufflers w/ removed resonator, and painted under-hood components.-SOLD-

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 81K, 3" turbo-back exhaust, open cone intake, hard IC piping, boost controller, GReddy Type-S BOV, more to come.
#149175 - 06/21/05 08:26 AM Re: Going along with Canadian and Austin ..
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
G2 is brush on, no need to worry about overspray. When I G2'd mine the only thing I took of were the wheels. wink

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#149176 - 06/21/05 10:02 AM Re: Going along with Canadian and Austin ..
UMfan Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Austin G T P:
G2 is brush on, no need to worry about overspray. When I G2'd mine the only thing I took of were the wheels. wink
How did you clean yours good enough while they were attached to the car?

In addition, did you remove the brackets/calipers to paint behind them and under/inside them? Did you just paint the front part that is visible?

I was thinking I'd have to remove the whole assembly just to get them clean and paint the backsides of them.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >