Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#149502 - 10/26/10 11:22 PM Rear stop light bulb - pics
rocketman Offline
Loc: Rockledge, Florida
Does anyone have any close up pics of the (stock) rear stop lamp bulb and how it normally comes out of the socket?

I've been replacing some bulbs on my '98 GT due to age, and one of the rear stop light bulbs looks like it has some type of corrosion at the base of it. I would hate to try to pull it out and have it separate and leave part of the bulb in the socket.

Thanks in advance.
#149503 - 10/26/10 11:59 PM Re: Rear stop light bulb - pics
The Guz Offline
Loc: Lawndale, CA
Just twist them out of the housing and wiggle them out of the socket. YOu should be fine.
#149504 - 10/27/10 10:34 AM Re: Rear stop light bulb - pics
snowcrash Offline
Loc: charlotte, nc
Like Guz said, pop the trunk open and you might have to remove the carpet from behind the light, can't remember, but just try twisting to the left, once it stops, pull it out and you might need to wiggle it while pulling on it.

If trying to twist the bulb to the left doesn't turn it, then go the other way!
dhp 1.0
#149505 - 10/27/10 07:33 PM Re: Rear stop light bulb - pics
rocketman Offline
Thanks for the replies. I guess my question was a little too general and I left out some details.

My question is specifically about removing the bulbs from the light sockets themselves.

I have roughly 200k miles on my car, and I believe these might be the original bulbs since I've never replaced any of the rear lights (I bought the car used at about 30k miles).

Last night while replacing the burned out side marking bulb on the passenger side, it disintegrated in my fingers as I was pulling it out. It took me awhile to dig all the glass and wire bits out of the base of the light socket.

One of the other bulbs in the same group appears to have some amt of corrosion around the base where it goes into the socket.

So, what I was really looking for was some pointers on what the socket looks like with no bulb in it, so I can get some idea of what approach to take with respect to pulling out the bulb.

I'm trying to minimize the extra work I create for myself like when the other bulb broke with part of it left in the socket. If this happens with all of them, it won't be a fun chore replacing them all.

Thanks in advance for any additional thoughts.

I had no problem removing the light housing and unplugging the individual light sockets from the housing.
#149506 - 10/27/10 07:34 PM Re: Rear stop light bulb - pics
rocketman Offline
sorry for the typo...that should have read
"side marker bulb" instead of "side marking bulb"
#211826 - 11/05/10 10:26 AM Re: Rear stop light bulb - pics [Re: rocketman]
rocketman Offline
I replaced all the bulbs in the rear with the exception of the high mounted stop light.

Quite a bit of corrosion in the sockets, so I spent a fair amount of time cleaning those up, including the bulb contacts.

This also took car of the flasher problem, but I'll probably go ahead and replace that anyone due to the age of the car and the fact that is has probably never been replaced. I know I've never replaced it.

If I keep this car, I'll have to be thinking about new rear light housings or some alternative lighting in the near future, because they are really started to crack in a variety of places due to age and high mileage.

Thanks again for the replies to my original posting.
#211827 - 11/05/10 10:27 AM Re: Rear stop light bulb - pics [Re: rocketman]
rocketman Offline
forgot to proof read my posting again.....

This took 'care' of the flasher problem, but I'll probably go ahead and replace that 'anyway' is what I should have typed....

Not enough coffee this morning I guess.....
#211829 - 11/05/10 10:46 AM Re: Rear stop light bulb - pics [Re: rocketman]
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
I wouldn't waste the money on a new flasher.

PS
If you hit the edit button you can go back and fix your typos without creating a new post.

Edited by HercMan(Rob) (11/05/10 10:47 AM)