Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#149617 - 05/15/07 10:19 PM My first check engine light
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Well I was driving to work and check engine light just came on and I was driving it pretty fast because I did not want to be late.

I just got a oil change today and the guy said no oil was showing on the dipstick but lucky he said no damage was done(yea right).So could that situation have something to do with it, or did the mechanic screw something up from just changing the oil.

I just check under the hood and there are no type of smells or anything loose. I have 138,000 miles on my car right now so maybe it was time for the check engine light to go off. lol

ALso I heard that I could go to autozone and they will check the code for the engine light for free?
#149618 - 05/15/07 10:24 PM Re: My first check engine light
20gtp02 Offline
Yah if you don't have a scanner or access, pop by an Autozone and they will do a quick scan to see what your light is for. Then you can come back here if they can't help you with the code!

#149619 - 05/15/07 11:40 PM Re: My first check engine light
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
I really doubt it has anything to do with your oil change... and if it did, it's certainly not your mechanic's fault you had no oil in the motor. Probably just coincidence, like 20gtp02 said, stop by autozone, let us know what the code is and we'll help ya fix it.

'97 SE with alot of mods
#149620 - 05/16/07 06:18 AM Re: My first check engine light
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Spirited driving and the light came on or flashed?

My guess is the code is going to show misfires. Probably time for new wires.
#149621 - 05/16/07 02:29 PM Re: My first check engine light
BlackTop Vinyl Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Yeah...i had a check engine light.
My car was dying and stalling, rps drop. the whiole deal
Turned out i needed a new mass air flow sensor. Runs great now!
#149622 - 05/16/07 11:14 PM Re: My first check engine light
Dre da GP man Offline
well it might be time for new plugs because the last time they was done was back in early 2005.

LOL

Don't cuss me out.
#149623 - 05/16/07 11:15 PM Re: My first check engine light
Dre da GP man Offline
I went to autozone and the scanner was being used by someone else so I'm going to go back tommorow and get it.