Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150140 - 07/22/04 09:56 PM Re: redesign
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
Yes but with the new traction control setups a lot of newer RWD cars can do just as good. Look at our friends in Europe. They drive RWD cars all the time in inclimate weather. WE are just pussies here.
#150141 - 07/28/04 12:41 AM Re: redesign
Adam S. Offline
Loc: Milwaukee, Wi
I second that. The general population here would cry if we went back to RWD, and God forbid, a manual transmission? That means people would have to turn off the navigation system, cell phone, and DVD and actually shift!

Man...
#150142 - 07/31/04 09:33 AM Re: redesign
why2kmax Offline
Loc: Bel Air Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by Jizz:
Who the heck wants to shift!

As for the front drive... most of you youngens do not remember the 70s when the country "stopped"... yes bad weather effects more of the country than not.. so FWD is a better way to go. No sand bags or getting stuck or even spinning thru the entire traffic light sequence
Yeah but that was before blizzak tires and traction control. With both of those even an F-body is darn near unstopable in snow.
#150143 - 07/31/04 09:34 AM Re: redesign
why2kmax Offline
Its not bad from the back and sides but the front end reminds me of the old Taurus from the early 90s? got that bubble eyed catfish thing goin on. ICK
#150144 - 07/31/04 02:48 PM Re: redesign
4 T 8 states Offline
Loc: winter park,fl
i had catfish for dinner last night... it was dam tasty-- yum yum laugh

hammer especially if i see the new la crosse!!
bearcat bct-7 law enforment/weatherband scanner
#150145 - 08/02/04 06:59 PM Re: redesign
Adam S. Offline
Loc: Milwaukee, Wi
If you look at any real performace car, luxury or not, you see one thing which I've always believed in:

Steering in the front, power in the back. It's the way God intended, I do believe.

Front wheel drive is of course much better for snow traction from a dead stop, but that's about it. Your steering is also lost when spinning, torque steer in dry or wet, and not as ideal weight distribution. For everyday drivers it doesn't really matter. But, the trend is starting to (finally) drift back towards RWD again very slowly, for those of us who like a little more than getting from point A to B.
#150146 - 08/10/04 08:58 PM Re: redesign
Chew Offline
Loc: Washington, DC
Snow and ice aren't that bad of an issue for most cars, RWD included.

Snow and ice + Hills or elevation changes, however are a different story.

I've seen numerous MBs and BMWs stuck trying to get up the hills in winter time and I know the Washington, DC area is nowhere near as bad as some of the states up north.

I remember when I was a kid, my dad had to change tires every winter to snow tires. I know no one here wants to have to do that ... and all season tires on a RWD cars just can't cut it, regardless of the hype! smile

Chew

2007 Sly Silver Pontiac Solstice GXP
#150147 - 08/10/04 10:39 PM Re: redesign
why2kmax Offline
Id say 80% of those MB and BMW drivers prob have summer performance tires and wouldnt know an all season or snow tire if it ran over them. Hell 90% of america cant keep good air pressure in their own tires.

I dont mind changing tires. I run good all seasons on my stock rims for winter, that way I dont mess up the good rims. smile

Ive driven Fbodys with traction control and all season tires in snow without much trouble. BUT if you dont hve traction control, it can get dicey, unless you have blizzaks or something. They help tremendously.
#150148 - 08/20/04 08:29 AM Re: redesign
Jizz Offline
Loc: Central Maryland
If the new GTO gets the 6L and a bit if a body overhaul - I will be getting one. But I will have to change out tires in the winter. Maryland winters can be very unforgiving at times. And I see a lot of RWD vehicles spun out on the shoulder. I know it has a lot to do with Driver, driving habbits and tires but I will let you all now how the 400hp Goat does in the snow smile
#150149 - 08/20/04 09:11 AM Re: redesign
4 T 8 states Offline
Loc: winter park,fl
Quote:
Originally posted by Jizz: . Maryland winters can be very unforgiving at times. And I see a lot of RWD vehicles spun out on the shoulder. I know it has a lot to do with Driver, driving habbits and tires but I will let you all now how the 400hp Goat does in the snow smile [/QB]
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
devilgrin
bearcat bct-7 law enforment/weatherband scanner
#150150 - 08/31/04 09:36 PM Re: redesign
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
CHico....i had all season g force bfg's and they did really good for starting stopping and eveyrthing better than my 99 which had michellin all seasons...so there is a good tire choice for rwd to go all year. but i honestly wouldnt mind change tires out for winter had i had a bmw or something cool......
#150151 - 09/02/04 09:52 PM Re: redesign
Jizz Offline
Loc: Central Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by zachd:
CHico....i had all season g force bfg's and they did really good for starting stopping and eveyrthing better than my 99 which had michellin all seasons...so there is a good tire choice for rwd to go all year. but i honestly wouldnt mind change tires out for winter had i had a bmw or something cool......
SOMETHING COOL! cowboy kinda funny how that works. thumbsup
#150152 - 09/05/04 01:47 PM Re: redesign
tallpaul Offline
Loc: waukee iowa
Want to hear something funny gang?
i was at the buick dealer sat afternoon and allmost came home with a new regal ls sedan.
it has more leg room in it compared to my grand prix. and i am 6ft 6in tall too. i really wish i had kept my 2001 gt sedan.
1994 olds ciera s sedan
adriatic blue-drk blue interior
P195-70/R14 uniroyal tiger paw touring radials mounted on factory olds aluminum wheels.
#150153 - 09/05/04 01:53 PM Re: redesign
tallpaul Offline
Loc: waukee iowa
And also i took a over 400 mile trip in the GP and these new seats and not much leg room was a very uncomfortable ride. i hate to say this but i hate this car now. drives ok but if your big like me you wil hate the interior room.
1994 olds ciera s sedan
adriatic blue-drk blue interior
P195-70/R14 uniroyal tiger paw touring radials mounted on factory olds aluminum wheels.
#150154 - 09/11/04 10:22 AM Re: redesign
why2kmax Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by tallpaul:
Want to hear something funny gang?
i was at the buick dealer sat afternoon and allmost came home with a new regal ls sedan.
it has more leg room in it compared to my grand prix. and i am 6ft 6in tall too. i really wish i had kept my 2001 gt sedan.
My father went looking at regals and got a deal on an 04 LS Luxury Regal. Stickered at $26,700 or so and he got it for $17,000 For that price even I would buy one