Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150443 - 02/26/06 05:37 PM adding remote start
Ravi R Offline
Loc: MO
anyone know if it's possible to add remote start to a 2005 GP? I'm not talking about installing some aftermarket alarm system with remote start and bypassing the passlock 3 system....none of that stuff. just adding the OEM hardware and buying a new transmitter. any advice would be appreciated.
#150444 - 03/20/06 10:29 AM Re: adding remote start
Syracuse Offline
Loc: Syracuse, New York
I looked into this for my '04 since I see it's an option on the '06 models. GM tells me that the systems are not capable of using GM's OEM remote starter before 2006. In other words GM is missing the boat where the after market will provide. Since I don't like to deal with after markets where elctrical systems are concerned, no remote start for my car.
#150445 - 04/10/06 04:33 PM Re: adding remote start
rijp Offline
Loc: Atlanta
The only way to get what you want, is to buy after market. Its not going to void your warranty.

Besides, if you want good stuff, you will have to prepared to spend. GM makes some stuff, but not all the good stuff for the car.

Compustar / Directed (viper alarms) is the *ONLY* way to do it right.

Get a local dealer, have them install it, they come with a lifetime warranty, and the built in alarm, is passive. It only goes off if you break into the car, and it disables the starter.. but theives can bypass those easily.

I did lots and lots and lots of research, and I am technical guy. I love gadgets, I installed a compustar remote start/ alarm, and one thing you have to concerned with is what happens when the alarm goes off? NOTHING. People will ignore it.

With the aftermarket, not only do you get remote start (from 3000' away - yes, a half a mile) but when the alarm goes off, the car will PAGE you. So you get notified when the alarm goes off.

I am telling you, the remote start pays for itself the first time you DON'T have to get into a hot car, or cold car. And you can unlock/lock your car from a half a mile away AND you can visually see on a LCD fob that your car is locked.

Peace of mind, remote start, long range, confirmation, and page.. isn't that worth 500 bucks?

Oh yeah, they are expensive.. but think about how much its worth when you buy a new stereo, and you have a nice car. You want your car there when you return don't you? Well buy a good aftermarket alarm with remote start. Don't buy cheap. Walmart sells a remote start for a hundred bucks, you will get what you pay for.

There are *ONLY* 2 aftermarket alarms, Directed and Compustar. Compustar is the best, but Directed has more dealers (best buy, circuit city, etc..)

Trust me, you will be fine. Get a professional installer, they have a lifetime warranty, and you get a nice replacement key fob with LCD.