Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150458 - 08/05/04 03:01 PM Drill out cat?
mistatecj Offline
Loc: MI
Has anyone tried drilling through the ceramic in the cat so the exhaust flows faster and has a more throaty sound. I heard that somewhere but was not sure it was true. I am just looking to make it sound a little deeper without much of a cost yet. Thank you for your help.
#150459 - 08/05/04 04:13 PM Re: Drill out cat?
Adam S. Offline
Loc: Milwaukee, Wi
Would you really want to do that on this nice of a car? The exhaust will stink and water your eyes, besides possibly having emissions problems, if that applies to your area.

That modification would be more suited for a '77 Mustang II, I think. Maybe check into getting a different exhaust system behind the cat.
#150460 - 08/05/04 04:26 PM Re: Drill out cat?
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
We used to do that all the time back in the '80's. Haven't heard of anyone doing it these days.
When the cats would clog up we would take them off and shove a broom handle through them, and yes it did give a more deeper sound.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#150461 - 08/05/04 05:06 PM Re: Drill out cat?
Adam S. Offline
Loc: Milwaukee, Wi
Also, the converters used these days are so much more efficient and free flowing than the big old ones that used to be used. All the trouble probably wouldn't be worth it.
#150462 - 08/05/04 05:53 PM Re: Drill out cat?
4 T 8 states Offline
Loc: winter park,fl
i read somewhere that doctors use to drill holes through a persons cranium to let at the evil spirits but time and technolgy has found a better to improve certain things.. i wouldnt do it but you could always remove the catalyst and darthvader
bearcat bct-7 law enforment/weatherband scanner