Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150540 - 12/13/06 12:50 AM Dexcool Question
Mr. Prix Offline
Loc: Pennsylvania
Ok, I'm new to the Forums. Hi. I think I may either have a leakage problem or just severely messed up. Today I decided I'd check my Dex-cool Reservoir...I notice it's bone-dry frown . I decided to pick up a jug of Prestone Dex-cool, I poured the whole jug into the reservoir, then, I noticed after the whole jug was empty, that almost all of it leaked onto the concrete ground. Are you not suppose to fill the reservoir all the way up with "Dex-cool" on the 04 GPS'? Is the Reservoir suppose to be dry? Did I severely mess something up or do I have a leak on my car?

Note: I drove it home afterwards 24 miles without a problem. But I'm still worried.
#150541 - 12/13/06 01:14 AM Re: Dexcool Question
DenverGT Offline
Loc: Denver, CO
Sounds like you might have a leak in the overflow container. It's supposed to be partially filled. When the coolant heats up, some coolant will flow into the overflow container, and when the coolant cools down, some will get sucked back into the radiator from the overflow.

Not sure of the position of the overflow on the 2004, but I've seen a 2001 where the bottom of the overflow container wasn't mounted right, and it got a hole ground into it by the belts.
#150542 - 12/13/06 01:29 AM Re: Dexcool Question
Mr. Prix Offline
Loc: Pennsylvania
Wow, thanks for the quick reply. I just went outside and checked the container(in the pouring rain, eh). Only about a quarter of what was in the jug leaked out. I think I may have just filled it up too much. Is it normal for it to leak out if it's over-filled?
#150543 - 12/13/06 02:46 AM Re: Dexcool Question
DenverGT Offline
Loc: Denver, CO
yeah, there is a spot built into the container for extra to leak out if it's overfilled.
#150544 - 12/15/06 04:47 AM Re: Dexcool Question
MACDRIVE Offline
Loc: Clovis, CA
There's a cold line and a hot line on the reservoir; you just fill it until you reach one of the lines depending on whether the engine's already hot or cold. The resevior itself will have a vent hole at the back of it for keeping the resevoir at atmospheric pressure.

Always mix the Dex-Cool 50/50 with distilled water.