Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#15048 - 12/28/06 02:43 PM Re: total POS!
pedal down Offline
Loc: Niagara Falls, NY
i think he pissed himself and is hiding in a corner.

Homemade K&N FWI, Ported Mani's, 3" RT DP soon: PCM, HV TB, HV3
#15049 - 12/28/06 03:38 PM Re: total POS!
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Hopefully he's fixing his power windows... hammer
#15050 - 12/30/06 06:24 PM Re: total POS!
white on white gtp Offline
Loc: shelby twp, mi
no i wasnt hiding...i had to do the dishes so my mom would give me enough allowence to fix my window...cause im just a little "kid" and all.

anyway so since i purchased (and of course when i say "purchased" i mean whinned until my dad gave it to me) the car 2 years ago...

1. the front valve cover began leaking (fixed)
2. the car stalled repeatedly (replaced the fuel pump reistor and fuel filter) without solving the problem - dealer replaced crankshaft pos. sensor and wiring harness
3. blower motor stopped blowing (replaced blower motor resistor)
4. the bracket that holds the fuel line to the car, the area around the gas cap, broke.
(i havent fixed this properly yet but secured it with L brackets)
5. the shifter would not move from (P) and the key would not release from the column. (fixed)
6. window motor/regulator and switch (by the way i already admitted fault for the switch)
7. passeger seat would not lock in place (fixed)
8. DIC backlight stopped working
9. a bulb behind the speedo sometimes doesnt work

not too mention the acceptable maintance

i have done the struts, brakes and replaced the tires, but jeremy you mentioned something about "changing the oil" maybe you could elaborate, maybe thats whats causing the other problems?

i know you guys love this car, and like i said in my original post i love it too, but as far as im concerned most of 1-9 is absolute nonsense and in some cases dangerous.

so you can make assumptions that i dont take care of my car or what ever else but if your car has experienced even half of these issues and you still think you own a well built vehicle you are a fool.

just when i think you cant get any dumber...
#15051 - 12/30/06 06:36 PM Re: total POS!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
That list is nothing. I'm sorry but no car made is free of defects. Every vehicle make and model of car ever made has it's fair share of stupid problems.
#15052 - 12/30/06 07:50 PM Re: total POS!
bikrboy128 Offline
Loc: Illinois
ok well if u havent fixed 8 and 9 they are easy fixes.
and u have had your share of problems. but its worth it cuz the GTP kicks a$$
#15053 - 12/31/06 01:11 AM Re: total POS!
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
X2 what Herc said; I wish my repair list had been that small... wink
#15054 - 12/31/06 02:59 PM Re: total POS!
what other things have you run into?

ive only owned three other cars, two of which were much older '89, and i dont recall ever having issues like these. perhaps its the lack of technology on the older two that explains them not having these types of issues. the other was a '95 and it shared many of the same features and none of the same problems...

i certainly didnt mean to start a bitch session though. ive recieved a lot of help from this forum and from what i hear forsee needing much more. i hope my frustration was viewed as frustration and not complaining even though there is a fine line between the two.

#15055 - 01/01/07 05:56 AM Re: total POS!
MATT 98 GT Offline
Loc: Cedar Springs MI
I have had my 98 GT for about a year and half now and have had only one thing that I would not consider general Maintenence the speed sensor in the trans went out It cost a little over $200 to have it fixed.

As far as Maintenence stuff I have replaced the tierod ends and ball joints and just last week the water pump witch was only $30 bucks heck I spent more on a new belt and hoses. I don't feel that this is bad since there is almost 170,000 on the car and it is on the road over an hour a day for work. This is the second Pontiac I have had both where/are good cars. My other one was a sunbird and it had around 200,000 on it and it was running good when I sold it sumtimes I wish I didn't sell it.

#15056 - 01/01/07 02:11 PM Re: total POS!
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
I don't think those things you listed were part of maintenance. If they occured one after the other, then I would feel my car is a lemon.

However, you have to take into account your car is a 97 and if made in 96, your car is 10-11 yrs old. From the items you listed, many of those items are associated with age ie., all those bulbs burning out, brackets loosening e.t.c. Another factor could be the previous owner rode it hard hence the valve cover leak.

It feels like you car is junk because each time something breaks, you have to ask for your parents for help, which gets kind of annoying. I remember going through that with my first car. I actually used to get only 2 cartons of milk for lunch so I can save and fix all those little things that kept breaking. Fix one thing and two other things broke. When I was able to get a job, I was just working to support my car.

Rest asurred even though your car is 10-11 yrs old (exact date is on the back of the driver side door), the problems you will run across will most likely not be severe as your GTP is relatively a lot more reliable than many other '97 cars minus the Accord and Civic. You can go to cars.com and check the reliability rating for verification. When you get older, things will get better in the "car department" (may not get better for other things wink ).

BTW: The fuel resistor and the blower motor are very well known issues in the GP community.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#15057 - 01/01/07 02:46 PM Re: total POS!
i was being sarcastic when i said i was doing the dishes for my mom...but i appreciate the words of encouragement

#15058 - 01/01/07 10:32 PM Re: total POS!
im only posting to see if the pic i added shows up...

#15059 - 01/01/07 10:34 PM Re: total POS!
sonofabeesting

#15060 - 01/01/07 10:41 PM Re: total POS!
a little big...

#15061 - 01/01/07 10:43 PM Re: total POS!
lets give this a try - mod feel free to delete these, im stupid.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2