Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150650 - 12/04/03 02:14 PM Problems with DIC
TonyWS6 Offline
Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Hello everyone - just picked up a fusion orange 2004 GTP for my wife on Tuesday of this week. She got tired of driving a mini-van and I was downright overjoyed when she decided on the GTP for her next car. I think it looks very nice parked next to my 2000 WS6 Formula.

Unfortunately - she started it up today and the DIC was dark and the HU display didn't seem to work right. I had her cycle through the various display modes and they would not work. Pushing the buttons below the DIC did nothing. She cruised by the dealer who had know clue as to what happened but scheduled a service appointment for her tomorrow. She's kind of bummed to be bringing in her new car for service on day 3. I was concerned since the dealer service people admitted they didn't know alot yet about the 2004 GP since it's so new.

I was able to search the service bulletins online (although unfortunately - the online service manual from Alldata isn't an option since it's a 2004) and couldn't find anything. I thought I'd ask the question here as to whether anyone knows of any current problems with either the DIC or HU display going blank. Service technicians are only human - so if I can give them some hints, I'm sure it will help. Thanks in advance...

Tony
#150651 - 12/04/03 03:14 PM Re: Problems with DIC
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
It takes a real man to admit he has a problem with his DIC, we respect that here.

I haven't heard anything about it. Where the car is so new it seems like a stupid factory mistake like a loose wire that finally broke free. I'm sure the dealer is just gonna trace all the connections. If you are mechanically inclined, I'd say do it yourself tonight before you take in. Maybe you can avoid the tri to the stealership. But if the dealer does it under warranty, then it doesn't really matter.

Is the WS6 modified? I'm jealous... thumbsup
#150652 - 12/04/03 04:02 PM Re: Problems with DIC
TonyWS6 Offline
smile LOL - I'm very secure in my manhood....

I'm actually out of town for two days - I told my wife if she wants to wait - I could probably find the problem on Friday afternoon - but I think she will just take it in...I'm thinking a fuse, loose relay or a wire somewhere. I'm not very familiar with the GP, but I know the electrical system of my Formula pretty well and I figure many of the basics might be the same (we have an old LeSabre as well - love the 3800!). It'll be fun to learn.

My Formula has a few mods (my homepage above has pics) - K&N and lid, smooth bellows, skip shift eliminated, SFCs, STB and a Borla exhaust (with cutout removed). Next will be 4.10 gears and then headers. My wife is talking about rims and exhaust tips for her GTP. She likes the cosmetics...I was talking cold air and new pulley....It's an awesome car - hope we get it back at 100% quick.

BTW - Here are some pics of the GP - (I'm like a proud papa....):

http://www.rivercityf-bodies.com/gallery/main/gp1_001
#150653 - 12/04/03 09:21 PM Re: Problems with DIC
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Those stock wheels must go, soon.

Love the WS6. I test drove a WS6 and got destroyed by that skip shift. Thank god you got rid of that. 4.10's? That's kinda extreme. Guess you don't take her on the highway much.

I had to edit my post just to comment on this:
From Tony's site: "Remember...speed kills...drive an import and live forever!"
I love that.
I think this is still my favorite though.
#150654 - 12/05/03 06:56 AM Re: Problems with DIC
kwiksilver Offline
Loc: Annapolis, MD
A good place to ask this also is in the 04 section of the forums at www.clubgp.com. Lots of knowlegable owners there.

96 Ebony Satin nitrous powered SHO
(sold)
#150655 - 12/05/03 12:31 PM Re: Problems with DIC
TonyWS6 Offline
Thanks for the tip - I'll check out clubGP.

The skip shift was really easy to eliminate - just a 10 cent resistor in a connector near the tranny and some ties and electrical tape to seal it up. Some people buy kits for $30, but it didn't seem worth it.

With 3.42s I run about 1700 rpm on the higway, so I don't think it will be too much worse with the 4/10s (maybe just above 2 grand) - but you're correct - the Formula is pretty much my weekend car - I drive a Lesabre during the week.
#150656 - 12/05/03 08:42 PM Re: Problems with DIC
Rich GTP Offline
Loc: New York
Take it back to the dealership let them fix it.They have Mr. Goodwrench there. I had a problem with my XM radio and the regular mechanics did not know what to do. This guy walks over, a mechanic in a shirt and tie and changed the module in the trunk 10 minute job.
Good Luck I'm sure it will be fine
#150657 - 12/06/03 03:57 PM Re: Problems with DIC
TonyWS6 Offline
Turned out to be a connector that had wiggled loose (was never fully seated). Must have been that spirited test drive I took on the back roads near the house after my wife brought the car home from the dealer.... wink
#150658 - 12/07/03 09:31 AM Re: Problems with DIC
kwiksilver Offline
Loc: Annapolis, MD
Good to hear that was all it was.

96 Ebony Satin nitrous powered SHO
(sold)