Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150950 - 06/01/04 12:29 AM excuse me I am new
stallion Offline
Loc: Indiana pa
I am new to this forum and I am not really sure were to post this. I would like to know if anyone can help me? My wife has a 89 gp and that will not start (it starts for 5 seconds and the chugs to a halt, then you try to restart and it just grinds). I have changed the fuel filter, checked fuel pressure, and they are ok (40 psi as recommended by chilton's manual). I have sprayed some starting fluid in and does not do anything different. I tried a crank shaft sensor (the coil and module have been replaced recently). I have pulled the spark plugs and I have spark. I am not sure how to test the fuel pressure regulator or injectors to see if they are working and what else could it be?
I would very much like you help because she loves the car and I do not want to get rid of it (she has had it since new and has about 60k) Thank in advance for all your help,
stallion
#150951 - 06/01/04 07:28 AM Re: excuse me I am new
Marc Harbison Offline
Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
You may have to have a mechanic scan the car. You could have a bad sensor that's not reading the correct fuel or air mixture.

Clogged injectors aren't unheard of, but generally don't all go bad at once. Usually, you can at least get the car to limp pretty good with just a stumble here and there.

How's your compression? Chances are pretty good that if your fuel pressure is getting and staying where it needs to, that your pressure regulator is ok too.

BTW... we don't have a category for GP model years older than '97. So, while this might not be the correct forum for an '89 GP... there really isn't any better option.

Good luck,
Marc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RIP '97 GTP w/ 192K miles - Totaled when broadsided
#150952 - 06/01/04 07:00 PM Re: excuse me I am new
tallpaul Offline
Loc: waukee iowa
89 and 90s had problems with ecm,s intermittantly causing a stalling out problem too. also you need to pull the plenum up and ohm check each injector. if you find one under 12 ohms its shot!!!!!!!
1994 olds ciera s sedan
adriatic blue-drk blue interior
P195-70/R14 uniroyal tiger paw touring radials mounted on factory olds aluminum wheels.
#150953 - 06/01/04 07:06 PM Re: excuse me I am new
scrap Offline
Loc: wisconsin
If you would find a bad injector the car should still be able to run. May not be pretty but it really should run.
#150954 - 06/07/04 09:20 PM Re: excuse me I am new
stallion Offline
Loc: Indiana pa
Thank you to all will try testing injectors, but i noticed one seems to have power all the time. where do they get their ground?
thanks again
stallion