Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151003 - 12/20/07 11:11 AM check engine light: P0411 error
Rebecca Offline
Loc: southwest Michigan
After buying my 2006 GP a few weeks ago, I discovered in the course of figuring out which remotes to get (because it was an off-lease vehicle and didn't come with any) that it has factory-installed remote start. Score! Living in Michigan, and with my car parked outside overnight, that's a handy option to have. I had been planning to get a remote start system installed on it at some point, but now I don't have to.

But alas, I cannot use it. The check engine light is on, which automatically disables the remote start system. I used the code reader at work and found out that the error is:

P0411: Secondary Air Injection System: Incorrect Flow Detected

Has anyone ever had that error come up? What was causing it for you? If I can do it, I'd like to avoid having to take my car to the Pontiac dealer to have them fiddle with it. The service department is only open until 5pm, and I can't get over there by then because I work until 5:30, so I'd have to leave it overnight and let them look at it the next day and figure out what's wrong with it. Then I'm afraid it'll be expensive to fix. I'd rather just get the part and then have the guys at the service station next door fix it, but I don't know what part to get at this point. I'm hoping someone here will say "oh, that error is almost always caused by the widget, and if you replace that you'll be good to go".

Your help is appreciated.
#151004 - 12/21/07 12:52 PM Re: check engine light: P0411 error
Gumby1800 Offline
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Rebecca,

The Secondary Air Injection System is part of the polution control system and should be covered under GM Warranty. Call your local dealer to confirm before you bring it in.

In the meantime, look for any cracked or disconnected air lines or loose electrial connections near the intake manifold or top of the engine (or any line that looks like it may pump air into the exhaust manifolds where they exit the engine).

Secondary Air Injection Systems typically add air to help burn off noxious emissions, but if there is a break in the air supply line anywhere, the sensors will detect a change in air flow.

Hope this helps!
#151005 - 12/21/07 04:45 PM Re: check engine light: P0411 error
Rebecca Offline
It won't be under warranty because my car has 84,000 miles on it.
#151006 - 12/22/07 10:33 PM Re: check engine light: P0411 error
hellerusa Offline
Loc: Goodrich, MI
You may want to go onto clubgp.com and ask this question if you don't receive any answers. That website is a great source for information.

Tony
#151007 - 12/26/07 11:48 AM Re: check engine light: P0411 error
Rebecca Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by hellerusa:
You may want to go onto clubgp.com and ask this question if you don't receive any answers. That website is a great source for information.
Gasp!! You mentioned the Site-Which-Shall-Not-Be-Named!

crazy
#151008 - 12/27/07 02:18 AM Re: check engine light: P0411 error
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
Hmm...have we a Harry Potter fan, maybe?
#151009 - 12/27/07 10:50 AM Re: check engine light: P0411 error
Rebecca Offline
Mmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaybe!!
#151010 - 12/27/07 05:47 PM Re: check engine light: P0411 error
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
Just curious. Great series, especially the final book. lol
#151011 - 12/28/07 04:42 PM Re: check engine light: P0411 error
Rebecca Offline
Very great series. I'm sad that it's done, but the ending was good. And now I'm re-enjoying all the books as audiobooks.

Anyway...

I had the dealer check out the reason behind the P0411 code/check engine light. I need the secondary air check valve and gasket. My cost for the part is about $215. jawdrop

Hmmm. How badly do I want to be able to use the remote start system?
#151012 - 01/07/08 03:53 PM Re: check engine light: P0411 error
Gumby1800 Offline
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Rebecca,

If you've never had a remote starting vehicle, you'll love it the first time you get into a warm, defrosted car.

The factory remote starters are much better because they will start the defroster automatically. Getting an aftermarket remote starter installed would probably cost as much as the parts you need replaced, but the aftermarket systems require a separate starter fob and they do not start your defroster.

Just make sure that you turn off your windshield wipers when you shut down your vehicle. You don't want them starting up automatically if the windshield is iced over.
#151013 - 01/07/08 04:35 PM Re: check engine light: P0411 error
Rebecca Offline
Hey Gumby,

I was already enjoying it before the check engine light came on! Then for a while I was using our code reader at work to turn it off when it would come on, so I could keep using the remote start. It's SO AMAZINGLY AWESOME to just be able to start it from inside the house and not have to go outside in the cold and snow to let it warm up for me before work.

So, now it's fixed, and I'm looking forward to warmth when I drive to work on winter mornings. smile

They also fixed some gas vent valve thing, which is what was causing the "check gas cap" message to come on in the DIC. In total, it was about $350. (Yes, I know I could have saved myself the labor by doing it myself, but this way if something else happens I can take it back to the dealer and say "hey...")