Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151033 - 03/22/03 10:34 PM test drive
fpo701 Offline
Loc: Akron, OH
So, I'm sitting quietly at work this Friday, and then get a call from my sales guy. My dealer just got in a new 04 WS6. Gee, and I have an appointment for service the next morning. How convenient. He knew I was wanting one and stopped the new car sales mananger (aka, owner's son) from taking it as a demo. I figure I'll just check it out. I was holding out for the Navi system due for '05.

I must say, I think I may be changing my mind. The guys at the dealership all know me. I've got a '00 GTP after upgrading from a '97. The '97 had a "minor" problem that caused it to be towed 7 times until the Regional Tech Rep told the dealer what the problem was (coroded wire under battery, rare problem). Everyone at Tech Center had not heard the problem. Anyway, lost faith in the 97. Now I can walk into the dealer and have 7-8 employees call me by name (new car manager, used car manager, 2 sales guy, delivery coor ...).

Anyway, back to the '04. Both the 97 and 00 were Bright Red. This one was Dark Red. Russ (new car manager) was releived to hear I wanted something that would show chips less, like Silver.

Took the 04 for a drive. Very nice drive. Faked out the Stealth Mode by covering the light sensor. Very cool. Monsoon radio rocks! Shifter sat farther back, so I had to find a new place to rest my arm. smile HUD neat. It ask more like a dot matrix display. For example, speed shows big until you change the radio station. Then it shrinks for while the radio info is up. Pamphlets say 18 HUD functions. What are they?

We get back to the dealer. "What color do you want? We'll order it." I didn't even get a chance to say no. "Options?" I tried to tell him I was holding out for Navi. He knows me better. I can't justify letting my car depreciate another year knowing the price for the new option will raise the car another $2000. My order was placed. If I buy, I buy. I've got six weeks to decide. Thank God I don't have a wife to tell me I don't need a new car.

Am I stupid for wanting to buy a first model year body change? I am seriously considering this.

Frank

PS. My dealer sold a GT1 to some guy who buys a new car every other year, for cash. Also has a GT2 on the lot.
#151034 - 03/23/03 01:20 AM Re: test drive
Fluid Offline
Loc: Alaska, USA
Thanks for the post Frank! smile I don't think you're stupid for buying the first year of a new model....I'm making the same "mistake" myself. For me it's either buy a 2004 GP or buy a new DC or Ford car.....so I'm getting the new GTP.

After seeing the MotorWeek TV spot today and reading the many reviews, I feel better about ordering a car I have never seen and almost no one has ever driven. In spite of the Gen8 lovers who claim they hate the Gen9 GP, I like its appearance. Not perfect, but then no car is. Mine ( Galaxy Silver ) is already built, but I don't know when it will make it up here to Alaska.... frown
#151035 - 03/23/03 06:36 AM Re: test drive
R. Alexander Offline
Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado
I think that you'll thoroughly enjoy a new GTP. I brought home a new Polo Green Comp G yesterday. The performance is assume, the stereo (Monsoon) is incredible and the HUD is very easy to see and very flexible in terms of display options. TAP shift is only way to drive this car; it's fun and you'll have a permanent smile on your face while you're using it. The nose of the car takes a bit of getting used to, but it grows on you.
#151036 - 03/23/03 06:43 AM Re: test drive
Cliff Cherry Offline
Loc: Caldwell, NJ
Yes, Frank, thanks for the real-life driving impressions. It's amazing how "just looking" turns into a signed contract so quickly. laugh (For my wife, :rolleyes: )

Hey, R., welcome aboard. You jumped in as I was typing this reply. Congratulations and thanks too for the real-life review. How's the snow out there? And how was the car in it (if the roads weren't cleared yet)?

Just checkin' in periodically :-D
#151037 - 03/23/03 06:53 AM Re: test drive
R. Alexander Offline
Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado
Hi Cliff. Most of the roads are clear and dry except for the side streets where there are typically large piles of plowed snow. I stayed away from the snowy areas and just drove the car on the dry roads. I guess that I was a little hesitant to get it dirty.
#151038 - 03/23/03 09:52 AM Re: test drive
fpo701 Offline
Loc: Akron, OH
Now I just have to sit and wait. I think I'm gonna head back to the dealer for one more look. I started thinking about some things that I forgot to take a look at on Saturday.
#151039 - 03/23/03 10:04 AM Re: test drive
Cliff Cherry Offline
Loc: Caldwell, NJ
Understandable, R.! As Fluid and others have pointed out, clean and green (or any dark color) is tough to manage, but dark green sounds like a great color for the car. I just wanted something completely different for mine and was very happy to see they offered Orange. Enjoy!

Just checkin' in periodically :-D