Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151044 - 12/02/07 08:28 AM GP Winter time
LUVMYGP Offline
Loc: MN
Anyone who drives the GP in the winter time have any good winterizing tips?
#151045 - 12/10/07 04:17 PM Re: GP Winter time
Gumby1800 Offline
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Get a set of 4 steel rims and put Michelin X-Ice tires on them (or another good make).

This will prevent salt damage to your alloy rims and the X-Ice tires are amazing on my GXP.

I was worried that my V-8 would be unmanageable in the ice and snow, but the X-Ice tires help the Grand Prix to handle as well as my 4x4 Pathfinder ever did.

Hope this helps!
#151046 - 12/11/07 03:35 PM Re: GP Winter time
frekey Offline
Loc: alberta
I dont know about you guys but I hate the ABS system on my 04gp. It is good on the highway for keeping in control but it is the s**ts in the city. I unplugged it and my stopping distance has drastically improved. Anybody agree or disagree?
#151047 - 12/17/07 12:51 PM Re: GP Winter time
Gumby1800 Offline
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Frekey,

I tend to disagree with your findings.

On ice or slippery conditions I've always stopped straighter and faster with ABS than without.

Besides, on my GXP the Traction Control and Tire Pressure Monitor Systems are both linked with the ABS system. If I unplugged the ABS, half my systems would be out.

You might think that the ABS is a pain because of the occasional feed-back and shudder thru the pedal, but that just means that the system is working.
#151048 - 12/27/07 07:32 PM Re: GP Winter time
frekey Offline
Loc: alberta
Thats true, the pedal does shudder the usual way and so on but my Grand Am has ABS and it works good at all speeds. Maybe I have a faulty sensor on my gp. When I first drove the gp in the winter, it almost made me rear-end somebody because I was used to my Grand Am. I can go 20km/h on a slippery road and step on the brake and hold it like they say to do and the car will slide probably 20-30 feet cause the brake is pulsing like crazy! I couldnt beleive it! I unpluged the system and tried the same thing, just to see and with the wheels locked, I slid only about 10 feet. I find that the stopping distance without ABS much better. I just have to slightly release the brake now and then to keep it straight, which suits me better. ABS is great when coming to a stop at high speeds for sure though. The only downfall to unpluging my ABS, in my opinion, is not being able to use traction controll.