Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151151 - 10/06/03 06:36 PM Exterior Accessories for 2004 GP
SeeD Offline
Loc: Detroit
Hi there,

I appreciate all the help everyone has given me! and..I have some more questions. I was planning on getting the aftermarket spoiler, exhaust tips, and grill inserts on my future 2004 GP GTP, but the dealer told me they are expensive and they charge an arm and a leg to install. Has anyone installed these mods and how difficult would it be for a somewhat novice to install?

Thanks!
#151152 - 10/06/03 08:00 PM Re: Exterior Accessories for 2004 GP
Fluid Offline
Loc: Alaska, USA
The tips are relatively easy, the tough part is cutting off the old tips - that SS pipe is hard to saw with hand tools. I had a muffler shop cut mine off in 2 minutes with a sawzall. You just tighten a bolt to install the new ones, making sure they are level. One tip - don't cut the old tips off where the instructions say - cut them off 1/4"ahead of the weld line between the cast tips and the exhaust pipe. This will let you set the new tips out further if you want...looks better IMO.

The grills - again the toughest part is taking out the old ones. I took off the driverside headlight to reach the tabs - takes 10 seconds to do and makes things easier. The tabs on the old grills were tough to push out on my car; others say they are easy. Be careful about scratching the paint if you pry off the old grills from the front - put several layers of masking tape around the grill openings. New grills snap in - I painted and reinstalled my old grills, but the new ones go in the same way - easy.

I don't plan on changing the spoiler so I don't know about that one. I kinda like the skateboard! cheers
#151153 - 10/06/03 08:18 PM Re: Exterior Accessories for 2004 GP
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Once the wing is painted, it should come down to a couple bolts. Check the underside of your trunk for bolts. Might have a pull the mat away, if there is one. The wing should come with the washers or rubber rings or whatever goes between the wing and the car.

-Andrew
#151154 - 10/07/03 05:58 PM Re: Exterior Accessories for 2004 GP
SeeD Offline
Loc: Detroit
Thanks!

But does anyone know if this new spoiler fits directly into the old spoilers bolt holes? It is a GM SPO part and I cannot imagine them not securing it the same way as the original. But then again.....I have seen some weird things at GM! smile