Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151306 - 05/20/03 05:41 PM Most mellow/Most powerful exhaust...
INSSANE Offline
Loc: IL
Magnaflow?

What would you suggest as a very quiet and mellow exhaust that will give me all the power I need from an exhaust??

I have a Camaro SS with open headers...I don't need loud LOL
Nick
#151307 - 05/20/03 06:32 PM Re: Most mellow/Most powerful exhaust...
Fluid Offline
Loc: Alaska, USA
Assuming that the stock mufflers are the same as those on the G8s, they are no detrament to performance...guys have gone into the 12s with stock GP mufflers. The piping from the manifolds to the mufflers is far more important. Here's why:

The volume of exhaust gas is highest closest to the engine because it is hottest there. As the gas moves through the exhaust system it cools, and by the time it gets to the mufflers at the very end of the system the temperature and thus the volume are much lower. Result - piping at the end of the system is not that important to gas flow restriction. angel

The sound is a different matter of course, and that is the real value of mufflers on the GP - IMO anyway. While I like the stock '04 GTP mufflers fine, if I wanted more sound I'd make sure to get a muffler with packing in it, not a chambered muffler like FloMasters ( they really should be called SoundMasters laugh ). On engines with less than 8 cylinders, chambered mufflers just sound bad to me eek . My blown Dakota R/T has a Dynaflow muffler ( came stock ) and I like the sound - doesn't sound like every other truck running the ubiquitous FlowMasters..... hammer
#151308 - 05/21/03 08:51 AM Re: Most mellow/Most powerful exhaust...
fred96ws6 Offline
Loc: Sachse,Tx
INSSANE,

Your username looks familiar from the LS1.com board. I'm on there just about everyday since I have 2 WS6's. Since you have an SS I bet your the same person. Any way back to your exhaust question. I just ordered the GMPP cat-back for 97-02 GTP for my 04 Comp G. It's due in tomorrow so I'll try to install it friday night and let you know how it sounds.

Fred