Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151483 - 06/09/03 09:41 PM Re: Ooglie Orange Grand Prix
Wayne Wilson Offline
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by midlifecrisis:
Anybody have any idea how I'm going to make it through the next month until my 04 comes in?
hehe...man, I feeeel for ya!

When I went in to order mine, the dealer hopped on the 'dealer network' in the off chance there was one sitting on a lot (eventhough, at that time, they had only been making them for a month).

Damn the luck, *exactly* what I was looking for...Black '04 GTP/WS6 loaded. Another dealer in town had pre-ordered it and just got it off the truck a day before. Sucker had 5km on it. So he called it up, went over and picked it up and prep'd it for me. I had to wait a week from time of purchase 'til I drove it off the lot and I was a basket case for that week...

So I know what you're going through...just can't imagine how I would have held up waiting as long as you are... eek

I just popped off my tails and put a few coats of Niteshades on 'em...what do ya think? I didn't like how bright red they were stock and I didn't want to blacken them out, just take the edge off:

#151484 - 06/10/03 07:45 AM Re: Ooglie Orange Grand Prix
midlifecrisis Offline
Loc: new jersey
What's the process for those nightshades?
#151485 - 06/10/03 07:46 AM Re: Ooglie Orange Grand Prix
midlifecrisis Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Cherry:
I hear you MLC, I've been going buggy crazy checking out forums and online reviews and such. Where did you get the online manual? That would be great to get a jump on all the features thumbsup !
You have to register on myGMlink.com, I think it's called. You don't need a VIN, just plug in the model and year.
#151486 - 06/10/03 10:41 AM Re: Ooglie Orange Grand Prix
Cliff Cherry Offline
Loc: Caldwell, NJ
Thanks MLC, I signed up this morning. 432 pages for the manual eek ! Guess I better wait until after work to print it out!

Just checkin' in periodically :-D
#151487 - 06/10/03 12:29 PM Re: Ooglie Orange Grand Prix
midlifecrisis Offline
I read through some of it on line and printed out sections on the HUD, DIC and stereo to read later. A lot of the 400 pages is the same stuff every car owner's manual has in it.
#151488 - 06/11/03 09:29 PM Re: Ooglie Orange Grand Prix
Wayne Wilson Offline
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by midlifecrisis:
What's the process for those nightshades?
I popped off the two main tails, 3 wingnuts on each in behind the trunk wall carpet. Took off the 3rd light 'sliver' built into the spoiler, it has two Philips screws up into the tail and you need an 'elbow Philips' to get it off. Also took off the clear plastic strip over the license plate that houses the reverse backup lights (four nuts removed with a ratchet from inside the trunk lid).

Picked up 2 cans of VHT Niteshades, only ended up needing one can but I used all of it (but nothing worse than running out of it with your car all a part!). I put 4 slow double-pass (right to left and back again) coats on it with 15 minutes in between each application to allow to dry. 10 minutes seemed to be dry to the touch and not tacky, but allowed 5 extra minutes to be safe...then you could pick them up and handle them as they were quite dry. Pick one up and walk out in the normal sunlight to gauge the darkness as they will appear darker when doing it in a garage. Also, make sure you have good ventilation as the Niteshade's vapours are quite strong.

After they looked dark enough, I let them sit for an hour then applied some clear coat paint as a top finish since the Niteshades leaves a flat/matte finish. The clear coat put the glossy finish back on it and I had guys telling me that the lights looked stock. smile

I believe I put about 3 coats of clear coat on them to get the finish/shine I wanted them to have. The clear coat spray I used is also made by VHT and can usually be bought where you get the Niteshades product (again I picked up two cans and only needed one).

All in all, took about 3 hrs to do then mounted them back on the car.
#151489 - 06/13/03 07:45 AM Re: Ooglie Orange Grand Prix
midlifecrisis Offline
I wonder how that will hold up over time. Cool idea!
#151490 - 06/18/03 01:24 PM Re: Ooglie Orange Grand Prix
Lorenzo Lopez Offline
Loc: Indiana
Even though I'm not as active on this forum as I used to be, I kinda feel like God having the largest topic in the 2004 Grand Prix list. I'm glad everybody is loving their new GP's. I still have mine, by the way, but I'm also loving my 2001 Firehawk.
#151491 - 06/18/03 04:13 PM Re: Ooglie Orange Grand Prix
midlifecrisis Offline
Still keeping the GTP? Cool......
#151492 - 06/19/03 01:17 AM Re: Ooglie Orange Grand Prix
Lorenzo Lopez Offline
Loc: Indiana
Yep, I've still got it. I couldn't see giving up about $9,000 to get rid of it... so I decided to keep it. The whole theory about losing that much money is true, just so you know. it sucks.... but oh well, I still like the car, but the LS1 was an easy out for horsepower.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3