Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151539 - 09/05/04 12:10 PM Reliability of electronic fetures
ABlackVTXinMD Offline
Loc: Joppa, MD
I'm still learning all the electronic features of this car. I'm curious about whether or not all of this cool gadgetry is reliable. I've never owned a car with this much tech built into it. I love it, but am wary of the costs to repair them if they go faulty after awhile. I appreciate any comments...
2003 Honda VTX1300S
1998 Suzuki Marauder VZ800
#151540 - 09/06/04 06:39 PM Re: Reliability of electronic fetures
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
What gadgetry are you referring to?? The HUD, electronic throttle, electronic HVAC controls, electric windows, locks, trunk entry, cd player, seats, heated seats. Not much more on this car than any other standard run American car. Now get into gadgetry and worrying you can with a Bimmer or even a caddy they have a lil more but im sure you will have very few problems with your Grand Prix. As I am on my 3rd GP and only major problem thus far was a bad steering rack on the 99gt, 98 gt no problems other than front end problems after 130k miles and the fact that it was a previously owned car and previously wrecked. and my 04 oh my god. the simple things. LIl rattles could be from my stereo smile horn button fixed under warranty still waiting on new window seals to come in. Will technically be thrid visit for those lil fyuckers. other than that all the electronics with my experiance have been reliable. The CD players suck forgot that but what car comes with a good CD player? Mine does if i sell it and you buy the Pioneer deck that is currently installed. Other than that love my GP regardless of previous post wanting to get rid of it. All three have been very reliable with only minor upkeep.

hammer on children hammer on
#151541 - 09/06/04 07:10 PM Re: Reliability of electronic fetures
ABlackVTXinMD Offline
Loc: Joppa, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by zachd:
What gadgetry are you referring to?? The HUD, electronic throttle, electronic HVAC controls, electric windows, locks, trunk entry, cd player, seats, heated seats. Not much more on this car than any other standard run American car. Now get into gadgetry and worrying you can with a Bimmer or even a caddy they have a lil more but im sure you will have very few problems with your Grand Prix. As I am on my 3rd GP and only major problem thus far was a bad steering rack on the 99gt, 98 gt no problems other than front end problems after 130k miles and the fact that it was a previously owned car and previously wrecked. and my 04 oh my god. the simple things. LIl rattles could be from my stereo smile horn button fixed under warranty still waiting on new window seals to come in. Will technically be thrid visit for those lil fyuckers. other than that all the electronics with my experiance have been reliable. The CD players suck forgot that but what car comes with a good CD player? Mine does if i sell it and you buy the Pioneer deck that is currently installed. Other than that love my GP regardless of previous post wanting to get rid of it. All three have been very reliable with only minor upkeep.

hammer on children hammer on
Zach - thanks for the post bro. What I am referring to with the technical gadgetry which is beyond what I've owned previously is the Heads Up Display, certain gauges which probably run off of a sensor (digital boost, tranny temp), configurability of the lights relative to ignition/door open/remote key etc, some features of the stereo (EQ, auto volume), some of the automatic features of the manual shift (I know, it sounds wrong). Maybe these features are more common than I thought. I'm just wondering if they become problematic after awhile.

Thanks...
2003 Honda VTX1300S
1998 Suzuki Marauder VZ800
#151542 - 09/06/04 08:57 PM Re: Reliability of electronic fetures
zachd Offline
I catch you. The Tapshift beyond the buttons shouldnt really have any issues because it is just a different programming for shifting. Umm the HUD I had no issues on my last car 98gt. The EQ and auto volume is now housed in my pioneer. As for all the 'options' the computer gives us for setting horn honking and stuff is all computer software driven and shouldnt ever present an issue. gauges and all that are electronic and havent givin any issues on the past cars they are in i.e. grand ma.......overall the grand prix is baddass the best american FWD sedan in the 30 minus field.........my opinion.......
#151543 - 09/06/04 09:03 PM Re: Reliability of electronic fetures
Jizz Offline
Loc: Central Maryland
Well lets see how to answer this....

As you know with any electronics -- some are good and some go pooy.. TVs, DVD palyers etc..

Same with car electronics -- but coming from a person (me) who does Reliability on Optics and Electronics I can tell you they are 1,000,000% better today than even as little as a few years ago. So yes with more trinkets comes more upkeep but I would be more worried about things like seals/gaskets, hinges and mechanical failures.

The HUD has been around for many many years now -- I had it on my 99 Vette (it was way better on my vette but..that is another story smile ) and things like the auto volume also have been around for a while..

now going on the TapShift® -- with the electroinc throttle control -- I would assume that the Tap will last as long as you do not "pound" on it, I think it will last as long as the vehicle.

In short smile -- I would not worry about the gadgets - they will last.
#151544 - 09/08/04 06:26 PM Re: Reliability of electronic fetures
InitialDGP Offline
Loc: Germantown, Maryland USA
Ehm, about the tapshift I have a small Q of my own, I switched from a 5spdman (LOVED IT) to a 4spd auto (ARGH) with my GP, im curious if anyone would know or could look into a conversion to a stick or tapshift to a 2001GT, not practical I know but the sluggish shifting and lack of ability to downshift quickly is throwing me off big time still cant get used to it. Any suggestions?
Modified 2001 Grand Prix GT 3800 Red/Orange Kills: Acura RSX type-S, Early 90's Rx-7, Mustang 5.0GT, Modded Cavalier, Assorted Civics, Assorted Integras, Sentra SE-R Spec-V, F-150, Early Modded Golf, Modded GP SE, Stock GP GT, Altima 2.5S, Maxima. Killed By: Modded RSX-S, Heavily Modded Older RX-7, 2005 Altima 3.5, VW Bora Modded, Modded Turbo'd Jetta. Now retired till further modification.
#151545 - 09/08/04 07:38 PM Re: Reliability of electronic fetures
Jizz Offline
Loc: Central Maryland
Get a 2004 WS6 GTP smile
#151546 - 09/08/04 09:00 PM Re: Reliability of electronic fetures
zachd Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by InitialDGP:
Ehm, about the tapshift I have a small Q of my own, I switched from a 5spdman (LOVED IT) to a 4spd auto (ARGH) with my GP, im curious if anyone would know or could look into a conversion to a stick or tapshift to a 2001GT, not practical I know but the sluggish shifting and lack of ability to downshift quickly is throwing me off big time still cant get used to it. Any suggestions?
Get a 04 GTP CompG????? Or chip your car will make shifting more responsive....and crisper
#151547 - 10/15/04 12:33 PM Re: Reliability of electronic fetures
BadDog Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I've got a Comp-G and it's not that much better. Tap shift is useless, just a "gentle hint" more than anything. It generally does as well or better on it's own.
#151548 - 10/25/04 09:29 PM Re: Reliability of electronic fetures
midlifecrisis Offline
Loc: new jersey
I have heard of a few people that have had problems with their D.I.C. giving the wrong date. I heard that radio head units had to be replaced to fix the problem. It had something to do with the leap year on the calendar. Mine works fine.

I don't see electronics as a problem. Just squeaks and rattles, based on my experience with previous Pontiacs.
#151549 - 10/29/04 10:35 PM Re: Reliability of electronic fetures
zachd Offline
Yeah I found the solution to the date was to just ditch my stock stero. Piece of junk is collecting dust now.