Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151615 - 04/23/06 02:01 AM old vs. new
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
how many here owned a previous gen (97-03) before you got your present GP?...what are your pros and cons of the two?...i.e. room, comfort, performance and reliabilty and such...I still think its a shame they didnt continue to build a coupe version but it is definitely one of the better looking sedans on the market today IMO...the only thing the new Dodge Charger has on it is RWD...fire away with those thoughts.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#151616 - 04/23/06 11:16 PM Re: old vs. new
Balto20Arctic Offline
Loc: Mandan, ND
My wife and I just got a 04' GTP Comp G. The vehicle we traded was a 2000 GT sedan. We had very good luck with that 2000 but our warranty was about to go out and we talked to our local used car dealer and had him starting to look for a "new" body style GP. My dealer went to a GM certified auction and he called me to tell me he found a "needle in a haystack". It only had 17,000 miles on it! It was a one owner lease and it is a GM certifed used car. We have only had this GTP for two days and we are in total love with it. I can't believe the power it has compared to the 2000 GP. Obviously the SC has a lot to do with it. The car is loaded, sunroof, leather and the color is silver. Is there any information I need to know about concerning the super charger, or anything else about the GTP?
The GTP is more comfortable and has more room. I plan on doing some modifications to it but more cosmetic than anything. The performance so far is so unbelievable compared to the 2000.
I am glad there is this kind on interaction between GP owners. I never looked for a site like this before but I wanted to be in the mix with my "new" GTP. Thanks
#151617 - 04/24/06 10:32 AM Re: old vs. new
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by Balto20Arctic:
My wife and I just got a 04' GTP Comp G.... My dealer went to a GM certified auction and he called me to tell me he found a "needle in a haystack". It only had 17,000 miles on it!
Sweet find!!! Congrats on the new GP.

Welcome to the forum!
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#151618 - 04/25/06 01:59 AM Re: old vs. new
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
there is definitely plenty of interaction here...dont be bashful about posting in the other parts of the forum, especially the older models section cuz I think thats where the bulk of the members hang out...as more people buy the later models cars I'm sure that will change but I'm also saddened by the info we have heard that the GP is doomed to go the way of the Grand Am and the Bonneville...to be replaced by a new "letter/number" car, the G8...which we're told will fill the gap of both the Bonneville and the GP...yet another brainchild of Bob Lutz to transform Pontiac into his vision of the "american BMW".

Glad to hear you are happy with the new car...a cold air intake and free flowing exhaust will really wake the car up...a pair of Flowmaster muffs out back is the popular choice for great sound without being too buzzy and better performance (wont hurt the mileage either)...check out the GP store here for some great appearance mods...the "inferno appearance pkg" is one of my faves and if I had an 04-up would be high on my list...post up some pics of your ride when you get a chance...we're a terrible bunch of pics whores here laugh

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#151619 - 04/25/06 03:23 AM Re: old vs. new
buggy2068 Offline
Loc: Warrensburg, MO
hey t-bat, in response to your question. I owned at one time a 1989 Pontiac Grand Prix SE. It was my very first car. I loved that car to death, almost literally. lol. I don't know if you saw my other post about what happened to the car, but I pretty much ran it into the ground. My dad helped me pick it out and I drove it for about 2-3 years without to many problems. I think the worst problem I had with it was when my brake caliper's anchot bolt somehow came loose and got caught in my wheel. It totally locked up my wheels and dug a 1 inch gouge into my rotor. That is pretty much the reason I am so happy to have my 99 GT I have now. In reality the GT belongs to my wife, but since we are married I can take ownership, right? lol. Anyway, enough of my rambling, I would recommend a GP to anyone in a heartbeat.
#151620 - 04/28/06 03:05 PM Re: old vs. new
northtnguy Offline
Loc: Nashville, TN
Hey T-bat,

I have both a '98 GTP and a 2005 GTP Comp G.

There's a big difference in the two cars. Honestly, I much prefer driving the '05 over the '98. You can really tell the difference in the horsepower between the two. The build quality is much better on the '05. You can tell that GM did a much better job assembling the newer cars than they did in '98. Fit and finish is much better also. Every line has a perfect gap all along the seams.

I've had my Comp G a year and have had zero problems with it. The only thing that's been done to it is the scheduled oil changes.

I've already got 24K on the Gomp G and by that many miles on the '98, it had already been in to have the baffle replaced to keep the water out of the passenger floor board, a faulty front wheel hub and a rear window motor replaced!

The only con I would say about the Gomp G ... the seats sit awfully high. Now this isn't a problem for me since I'm not that tall, but I can see it 'might' be a problem for someone around 6'. The seat back would definatly have to be reclined to have some head room. Like I said, it isn't a problem for me, tho.

I do love the Comp G !!
#151621 - 05/30/06 05:11 PM Re: old vs. new
05-Comp-G-Florida Offline
Loc: Port St Lucie, FL
I have owned a 98' GT Sedan (wrecked). A '99 GTP Coupe and now a '05 Comp G. While I liked the prior body style better than the '05, the new one is growing on me. With it being black, the one change that really made it look better was a pair of tail light covers. Got rid of those ugly, huge lights. I have had more problems with this car than the prior two together. More rattles than I can keep up with and the brakes are already making a strange noise at 12,000 miles.
On the plus side, this car is a hell of a lot more fun to drive. It corners light years better than my other GP's and while not a whole lot quicker than my previous GTP, it is somewhat faster. The tap shift helps a lot when wanting to pass. I'll get the bugs out of this car and love it.