Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151661 - 03/28/05 06:55 PM Another Oldsmobile?
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7275511/

Please read this.

He is aiming his gun @ Pontiac and Buick. Hopefully he hits Buick if anything, I hope for nothing. But if he cuts Pontiac I will never own another GM product as long as I live.
#151662 - 03/29/05 01:04 AM Re: Another Oldsmobile?
Rich GTP Offline
Loc: New York
I love my 04 gtp, But these guys at pontiac have to get it together. Buick is getting the axe.Pontiac is releasing to many new cars.Buick has barely 1 and its not really a big deal(laCross)
#151663 - 03/30/05 05:11 PM Re: Another Oldsmobile?
zachd Offline
They should cut saturn first because of its gay name
#151664 - 03/30/05 05:20 PM Re: Another Oldsmobile?
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
lol lol lol

I'm hoping that Buick would be cut but you never know.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#151665 - 03/31/05 01:10 AM Re: Another Oldsmobile?
Rich GTP Offline
Loc: New York
I agree with the "Saturn" name but the Sky is a great looking car and I hate to say this,,,Ilike it better than the upcoming Solstice
#151666 - 03/31/05 11:47 AM Re: Another Oldsmobile?
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Yeah, but Saturn makes solid cars.
#151667 - 03/31/05 01:22 PM Re: Another Oldsmobile?
Jizz Offline
Loc: Central Maryland
FIRST OFF!
GM Now Says It Has No Plans to Kill Buick or Pontiac
Date Posted 03-28-2005

DETROIT — Jittery auto dealers were reassured Friday by General Motors' top sales executive that there were no plans to phase out any brands, following last week's comments by Vice Chairman Bob Lutz that struggling divisions could be killed if sales continue to fall.

According to The Detroit News, Mark LaNeve, GM's sales and marketing chief for North America, told dealers in an e-mail message that "we are not discussing or planning the elimination of any of our brands."

The e-mail was a swift rebuttal to Lutz's comments Wednesday that "damaged brands" such as Buick and Pontiac could be dropped from the GM lineup if they failed to achieve sales targets.

LaNeve said GM will slim down a brand's offerings if necessary to focus marketing efforts on promising products.

"If there has to be four or five [models] as opposed to nine or 10, I'll make that trade-off," he said.

What this means to you: GM hustles to do damage control after its vice chairman's comments about phasing out Buick or Pontiac rattle dealers. But there is a precedent that was called Oldsmobile...
#151668 - 03/31/05 01:22 PM Re: Another Oldsmobile?
Jizz Offline
SECOND OFF
By Bob Lutz
GM Vice Chairman

The media coverage on the auto industry of late has done much to paint an ugly portrait of General Motors. This happens when a company's financial results are not meeting projections and so I can understand and respect the increased scrutiny.

But I must draw a line between legitimate coverage and manipulating facts to create "news." Which is what happened when remarks I made in answer to a question at an analyst conference in New York last week were taken out of context and twisted just enough to cause panic among a lot of good people.

Many of you probably read something to the effect that "GM is considering shedding a brand." Let me say it now, for the world to hear: No, we have no plans to shed a brand. Period.

I blame myself, because I should know better. It's always dangerous to field a speculative question, especially in an environment in which we’re increasingly under the media microscope.

But, if you are interested, here are the facts. Buick and Pontiac, the two brands most often cited in these press reports, will be around for a long time, refreshed every year with strong new products. Just look at the G6, the Torrent, Lacrosse and Lucerne. Look no further than Cadillac, GMC and Chevrolet, and soon, Saturn, to see what our brand commitment is all about.

Remember, a lot of people said Cadillac was dead, and look at it now.

Frankly, I find it inexcusable even in today's "shock-type" journalism environment for the media to run with a story without clarifying the statements actually made.

Mark LaNeve, our sales and marketing vice president for North America, had it exactly right in an e-mail he sent to our dealers last week regarding this matter. "We are not discussing or planning the elimination of any of our brands. On the contrary, we're investing more heavily than ever on new products and marketing programs – GM is investing in all of its brands."

In the same memo, LaNeve also cited our intentions to "reignite Pontiac's muscular design and street credibility" and build Buick as a brand with vehicles that are the "quietest and highest-quality in their segment."

And now you know, with apologies to Paul Harvey, the rest of the story.
#151669 - 03/31/05 01:23 PM Re: Another Oldsmobile?
Jizz Offline
IT IS GM PEOPLE! HAVE FAITH!
#151670 - 03/31/05 02:40 PM Re: Another Oldsmobile?
4 T 8 states Offline
Loc: winter park,fl
i saw a t.v. news article that buick, which is now in china has a hard time keeping the buicks in stock, and they make them there!!!

they interviewed several people that were in the showroom, the camera panned the showroom and there just like the showrooms here in the west.

the hottest model is the regal. and they cannot make enough of them.

the chinese love the regal, they consider it a status symbol among the masses,and god knows that china has the masses...

when i read that article Jizz i kinda was confused as to what the Putz i mean Lutz was telling us but like he said the media loves to put who ever they can in a panic so they can pull up there ratings.

Good article and now we do know " the rest of the story".
bearcat bct-7 law enforment/weatherband scanner
#151671 - 03/31/05 03:14 PM Re: Another Oldsmobile?
zachd Offline
Thats a relief, i may own a G6 before a A3-4
#151672 - 04/26/05 02:58 PM Re: Another Oldsmobile?
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
Buick sells a lot of cars to the middle age to senior market.
I doubt they will cut Buick.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#151673 - 04/26/05 02:59 PM Re: Another Oldsmobile?
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by TastyBake:
Buick sells a lot of cars to the middle age to senior market.
I doubt they will cut Buick.
Saturn is probably going to stay for a while too. It's the only think GM has to appeal to the younger market.

Olds just wasn't selling and that's why they had to drop it.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.