Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151733 - 04/03/03 06:55 PM short GTP CompG test drive
rayainsw Offline
Loc: atlanta
Took a 15 minute drive in a GTP CompG (with exactly the options that I would order, except color!) at lunch today. My impressions:

Ride? Firm, but acceptable, all in all. Information I have indicates that the difference between the GTP and the CompG suspension-wise is only ‘firmer bushings and spring rates’. Meaning not also dampers / shock absorbers. The replacement of shocks (for those who don’t happen to know) with struts, is typically more expensive than replacing bushings. I found the isolation of short sharp bumps or broken pavement to be quite reasonable, esp. given the V rated 55 series tires.

Acceleration? Pretty much as I expected, having owned a ’97 GTP.

NVH? This appears to be a solid, well bolted (welded, bonded, glued) together vehicle. Pontiac seems to have done both a good job at design avoiding areas where various interior components might rub or squeak (for instance) and assembly. Structure appears v. good. The exhaust note is noticeable, but not objectionable.

There was absolutely NO noticeable torque steer! And I was looking carefully for this. Driving only the front wheels with torque over 250 tends to be a challenge. Well done, Pontiac!

Steering at all speeds (well, I did not have the opportunity to exceed about 75) seemed well weighted and accurate.

Smoothness? Power delivery is excellent and TQ is available at any RPM. The drivetrain is well sorted. The TAPshift feature added to the MX0 trans. is well executed. Though I noticed no ‘throttle blip’ on downshifts, they were still well handled with minimal surge / buck. The upshifts were quick and well managed. Since both my current and prior vehicles had a ‘man-u-matic’ feature, I am used to the concept. What I found WOULD (for me) likely require some time to adapt to is the paddle shift mechanisms. The certainly work as advertised, but I am used to reaching down with my right hand to slap the console mounted shift lever forward or back to shift manually that I was not immediately comfortable with the paddles. And in sharp turns, where the paddles are substantially ‘out of position’, I found it a bit un-intuitive to have to seek the current (sometimes moving) paddle positions to shift. Sometimes it is just not practical to maintain hand positions at 10 and 2.

I do like the enhanced DIC and HUD. And the level of interior trim, quality, fit and finish seem appropriate for a car in this proce range.

Driving position? I was a bit surprised that w/moonroof I needed to adopt rather more of a ‘laid back’ driving position to clear the headliner . . .

RPM at 60 approx. 1800 / 1850.

I happen to like to 10 spoke wheels – and the red brake calipers.

I really would like GM to increase the GP warrantee beyond 36 / 36. And a DVD based NAV system. But I digress . . .

All is all, the GP GTP w/CompG stays on my short list. . .

Cheers,
- Ray

Just my $.01.5 worth – adjusted for current economic conditions.
#151734 - 04/14/03 07:58 AM Re: short GTP CompG test drive
midlifecrisis Offline
Loc: new jersey
"Driving position? I was a bit surprised that w/moonroof I needed to adopt rather more of a "laid back' driving position to clear the headliner . . ."

May I ask how tall you are? I'd be getting a GP with a moonroof and was wondering about head room. I'm 6' 200 lbs.
#151735 - 04/14/03 12:14 PM Re: short GTP CompG test drive
rayainsw Offline
Loc: atlanta
6' 0" - about 225.

As I said, I was a bit surprised. I fiddled with the seat for a while, and ended up with a more "laid back" position than I am used to. Not exactly uncomfortable (the seats themselves were quite comfortable and supportive) but more research / experamentation would clearly be before making a final purchase decision . . .

I had no such problems with my '97, also with the moonroof - except when I had a helmet on.
Odd.
Cheers,
- Ray
Who still enjoyed the car - and the test drive - a lot!
#151736 - 04/15/03 10:18 PM Re: short GTP CompG test drive
jtemail Offline
Loc: Warminster, PA
I just bought a 2004 GTP Comp G about 10 days ago. I am 6'0 and 200 lbs as well. I do have to recline the seat a notch myself. My hair just barely brushes the headliner otherwise. Its not a huge issue. I didn't even notice it on the few test drives I took. I keep the sun roof visor open and it works out OK. It has a many-way adjustable power seat to change height and other things around as well. I have it set as low as possible and as far back from the pedals as possible.

I do really like the car. Its very responsive and fun. I also just learned from here that the Comp G package is the WS6 RPO which I will reference from now on.
#151737 - 04/20/03 09:52 AM Re: short GTP CompG test drive
Boost Offline
Loc: Troy, MI
Quote:
Originally posted by rayainsw:
And a DVD based NAV system.
At GPG, they said that would be 05, IIRC.