Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151942 - 07/06/04 04:33 PM making the right choice
fpo701 Offline
Loc: Akron, OH
I think it is about time to get off the wallet. I've been looking at getting an '05 GP. Was around a year ago, but decided to wait a year to see if some desired changes were made. I'm glad I did. DVD navigation and Automatic CLimate control are on the ballot for 2005. Now for the tough choices. Right now, I have a '00 GTP.

I've narrowed my choices to a GT2, GTP, or WS6. I'm really comparing price and features. I like the 17" wheels and SuperCharger. But, I also would like to have the StabiliTrak II. Can you guys help me weigh the merrits of price and features?
#151943 - 07/06/04 04:47 PM Re: making the right choice
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
GTO?

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#151944 - 07/06/04 04:54 PM Re: making the right choice
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
WS6 is a Comp G............
#151945 - 07/06/04 05:48 PM Re: making the right choice
Jizz Offline
Loc: Central Maryland
Well....

I have a WS6 GP (Yes it is a GTP CompG) where I live we get some rain and a bit of snow in the winter so a GTO is not an option for me. I need to be able to get to work in a bit of snow.

As for the WS6 I would not trade it for anything right now. It is pretty fast, handles great (as good as a GTO) and has all the features I need.

Make sure you sit in one first though -- I am 5'7" and the head room is good for me but someone 6'+ may get the sky-is-falling syndrome smile

For me dual-climate is not a concern...my wife and I are almost always on the same page as far as seat and climate adjustments.

The enhancements of the Comp G are well worth the $$ to me... The stabilitrak works great and the upgraded magnasteer is much better than the other ones. And do not get me started on the TapShift® --- I LOVE IT!!! and HUD is something I have grown very attached to also. I had it in my Vette and will get it in any car that it is availible that I am buying.

Hope the info helps
#151946 - 07/06/04 05:55 PM Re: making the right choice
Jizz Offline
IMHO the GTO is not a great car it is just an ok car -- so it has a peppy engine in it...it is on rated at high 13s -- do not get me wrong I am not bashing the car but

It has no trunk
only 2 doors
not all that fast
only handles as good a Comp G
no more features than a Comp G
Worse gas milage

IT IS NO TRANS AM! not even a "fair" replacement
#151947 - 07/06/04 09:44 PM Re: making the right choice
fpo701 Offline
Loc: Akron, OH
Can anyone comment on the winter raod handling of the CompG's tuned suspension? By this I mean the darn pot holes we have all over the place here in Ohio. I recall back a year ago, some reviews questioned this combination.

Head room is not a problem, as I'm a lowly 5'4".

Dual Zone Climate Controls are not my main attraction to the new climate option (CJ2). I love being able to set a temperature (72) and leave it there pretty much all year round.

Stopped at dealer today to see how the packages laid out. Suprise. The DVD Navigation System comes with the Moonsoon Speakers. That means Monsoon is not limited to that CD Changer only package.
#151948 - 07/06/04 09:57 PM Re: making the right choice
jvojr Offline
Loc: Catskills, NY
It is definately not a Trans Am. I miss that car. I always wanted a new one, and just when I can afford one, bam, they stopped making them. Let's see GM throw an Eaton M112 blower on the GTO, ram air hood, and call it The Judge.

Traded in. 2003 GTP. Every option but HUD. New Mods: Wizaired CAI, SLP Headers, Cat, U-bend and Downpipe, 3.2 Modular Pulley, Phase 3 rollers w/OR Pushrods, Larger Belt Tensioner Pulley, Gatorback, AL103's, 180 Degree Stat, DHP
#151949 - 07/06/04 11:37 PM Re: making the right choice
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by jvojr:
It is definately not a Trans Am. I miss that car. I always wanted a new one, and just when I can afford one, bam, they stopped making them. Let's see GM throw an Eaton M112 blower on the GTO, ram air hood, and call it The Judge.
Oh hell yeah!
cheers

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#151950 - 07/07/04 09:45 AM Re: making the right choice
Jizz Offline
I live in Maryland. We have our share of bad roads because of the not so nice winters we have here. Not as bad a Ohio but still bad. The car does on jump much on bad road surfaces. I would avoid pot hole though just because of the lower profile sidewalls, can tear up your rims. But as for handling on bad surfaces...not a problem
#151951 - 07/07/04 02:07 PM Re: making the right choice
zachd Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by jvojr:
I don't know what blower they are going to use but PFYC.com is in the works for a SC kit for the GTO. I would hope they arent using the OLD m90 and moving up a little bit to something more efficient.......... hammer
#151952 - 07/08/04 08:23 PM Re: making the right choice
Jizz Offline
I will say this to sway your decision...

The only vehicle I have ever owned that I like better than my 04 WS6 GP was my 99 Vette Converty, but heck that is not even the same sport.

But I would not give up my GP for any other car that I have owned. Including my Avalanche (which I liked a LOT a whole LOT).

Take it for the 24hour test drive.
#151953 - 07/08/04 08:27 PM Re: making the right choice
Jizz Offline
As for Zachd last post... even a blower will not make the trunk bigger or make it look less like a big cavalier or a 19xx mini Lumina

It is a darn shapless blunder. A lego block. reminds me of a Scion....

WHY WHY DID THEY GET RID OF THE TRANS-AM... (please do not answer that... i know why)

WHY WHY WHY
banghead banghead banghead
#151954 - 07/08/04 09:07 PM Re: making the right choice
zachd Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Jizz:
As for Zachd last post... even a blower will not make the trunk bigger or make it look less like a big cavalier or a 19xx mini Lumina

It is a darn shapless blunder. A lego block. reminds me of a Scion....

WHY WHY DID THEY GET RID OF THE TRANS-AM... (please do not answer that... i know why)

WHY WHY WHY
banghead banghead banghead
Tru it won't make the trunk bigger. At this time i wouldnt trade my GT for anything but a GTP. But Jizz, you really hurt my fealings by comparing it to a Scion. Scion is trash, at least the GTO has the good ole ArrowHead? Ahh well, I would take a comp G over a GTO anyday because of the passenger trunk factor. I travel a bit so........G6 is still on my list of next vehicle.
#151955 - 07/09/04 09:00 AM Re: making the right choice
Jizz Offline
I just got a book from Pontiac. It says the G6 will have a hardtop converty option!!!!!

I may get one also!!!

as for the scion comparison -- I am just mad that GM put no thought into the shape of the car frown
#151956 - 07/10/04 01:48 AM Re: making the right choice
Rich GTP Offline
Loc: New York
I agree with Jizz. GM made a big mistake and will pay by the bad sales. They also make a big mistake by advertising there cars much too soon
as in the new solstice. I'm sick of the car and it won't be out till next fall.Keep them under wraps, ask current owners there wants & needs.
By the way take the G6 ..whats the story with the multi panel sunroof.Who ever designed that should be fired.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >