Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152029 - 02/05/07 12:51 PM will not shift out of park
bigo Offline
Loc: detroit
Hi,
I have a 2004 pontiac GT1. It was working fine. Yesterady I parked it, came back afew hours later. The car will start up, however IT WILL NOT SHIFT OUT OF PARK! Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
P.S. The weather here is extremely cold, and I was lazy and did not put gas in it, so it is below E. I will add gas later to see if that could be the problem
#152030 - 02/05/07 05:12 PM Re: will not shift out of park
jjcom Offline
Loc: USA
If it starts, then gas isn't your problem here. I had some trouble with this, make sure the shifter knob is pushed all the way down. Mine came up some so I couldn't shift either.
#152031 - 02/07/07 05:41 PM Re: will not shift out of park
Kansas GXP Offline
Loc: Topeka, Kansas
I know for a fact that the older body style, had problems w/ the shift linkage, but not sure if there are any problems with the '04+ models. Might make sure the steering wheel isn't in a bind for any reason, I know this will prevent the key from turning some times, and again, make sure you have it all the way in park. Then if nothing, see if there is some kind of release around the shifter. ON the older body style, there is a little square raised piece of plastic, that pops out right by the shifter. Push an ink pin in, and it will let you shift out of park. Might look for one of those on your car.
#152032 - 02/09/07 09:34 PM Re: will not shift out of park
ILikeMyGP Offline
Loc: Michigan
if extremely cold, it is possible that it is literally frozen in place. kind of like a frozen door.

however i do not suggest forcing it, because you could mess up the shift linkage