Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152354 - 03/24/04 12:58 PM Re: 5.3 L V8 in '05 GTP???????
Rich GTP Offline
Loc: New York
Read my message I said THE GRAND PRIX GTP will BECOME a 4dr sedan version of the GTO.Meaning the HP will move up. I had a 64 lemans straight6 no ohc!
#152355 - 03/24/04 01:51 PM Re: 5.3 L V8 in '05 GTP???????
4 T 8 states Offline
Loc: winter park,fl
thats why i like magazines with a lot of pics in them cause i cant read...
yeah.. pmd made a six a ohc,friend had one it had the badge on the front fenders, a checkered flag with red ohc over it. it was in a lemans.
bearcat bct-7 law enforment/weatherband scanner
#152356 - 03/24/04 07:03 PM Re: 5.3 L V8 in '05 GTP???????
Adam S. Offline
Loc: Milwaukee, Wi
I'm not understanding all the Bob Lutz bashing on here. If he was responsible for the '04 GP's, then I'm not seeing a problem yet. Mr. Lutz actually wants to make Pontiac the REAL performance division, like actually offering cars with manual transmissions and rear wheel drive, like nature intended. And as for the "F" Bodies; they were merely dropped basically because they couldn't sell them. That's what it comes down to. That and their quality/reliability track record was a little questionable, which is what people are starting to pay attention to again these days. But, as someone else stated, the days of RWD V8's are limited; but I think that will start to change in the next few years.
#152357 - 03/24/04 07:29 PM Re: 5.3 L V8 in '05 GTP???????
4 T 8 states Offline
slow your roll adam..i agree with a lot of his commitments to make a good manufacturer even better i still beleive that he is submitting to the "bean counters" when he is making statments that he is gonna turn g.m. around ,watch what we come out with yada..yada..yada..

now if were gonna play armchair exec here, here is my ideas,

first lets put some real commercials on the mass market. we have some dull playing non informative just aint hittin with the current trend comms

i dont care which one of the big three you look at, these comms have no appeal ,then billboards, mags i think you get my point .

market the cars right like they do their trucks and we might have a chance to show not only the U.S.A. but the world that we do build a quality long lasting product. yes i do know about g.m.s foreign subsidarys, remember the opel??
#152358 - 03/24/04 07:42 PM Re: 5.3 L V8 in '05 GTP???????
4 T 8 states Offline
oh yeah i forgot to say these two words.....

LEE IACCOCA

usa
#152359 - 03/24/04 08:12 PM Re: 5.3 L V8 in '05 GTP???????
4 T 8 states Offline
oh yeah i forgot to say these words

a great man that turned a dying auto comp around crazy
#152360 - 03/25/04 09:14 AM Re: 5.3 L V8 in '05 GTP???????
Adam S. Offline
I depends on what you consider "turning around" He was responsible for the K-Car and the Caravan. Qualitywise, these were some of the worst pieces of shit ever built. Yes, the minivan sold well, which is really all that matters to them, but Chrysler's whole lineup under his power was absolute garbage (yes, worse than GM and Ford, by far). I do think that GM is turning around, moreso than the other two. They currently are selling the most. The new Corvette is another world-class performing car, unlike 96-prior. Buick is almost on top for initial quality and reliabiltiy; the whole GM lineup is rated highest out of the big three, and is starting to creep into the German and Japanese status areas for quality. Yes, any "leader" of a company is going to say things to get everyone excited; that's just how it is. But with GM, it's obvious that something is obviously changing, mostly for the better.
#152361 - 03/25/04 11:49 AM Re: 5.3 L V8 in '05 GTP???????
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
GM has been under fire lately because they have had a bunch of recalls. The Corvettes were recalled for steering problems and a whole lot of trucks were recalled because the tailgate cables were snapping and allowing the tailgate to fall off completely.
#152362 - 03/25/04 12:36 PM Re: 5.3 L V8 in '05 GTP???????
Adam S. Offline
Yes, I've heard of these recalls. But, they are fairly minute compared to the other current and past bulletins and recalls from the other automakers, especially Ford and Chrysler. Chrysler head gaskets causing engine fires, Ford's ever lasting front end problems, Ford cylinder head problems, not to mention the notorious rolling TSB vehicles; the Focus and Escape. The lists could go on for pages, and it isn't always necessarily accurate to judge a company only on its recalls. The fact is that GM has made much more improvement in their vehicles than the other two; and there's plenty of documentation out there showing the same. There will always be characteristic problems and recalls with any make, even the foreign ones.
#152363 - 03/25/04 11:52 PM Re: 5.3 L V8 in '05 GTP???????
4 T 8 states Offline
the reason i bring up lee ioccoca was even though mopar at that time could only two ways,up or out.
he took a chance and made the company have some focus and vision.
mopar needed his drive and commitment and attitude to bring it back.
its funny you bring up the caravan, the most copied and loved and original idea to come from a american auto maker.
i remember when i used to live in l.a. and i aint talking about lower alabama, i was sent an invite to preview and give an opinion on a new type of vehicle.
it definitly was different and something i never saw before. it was a small van with lot of windows could seat up to seven but it had all the comforts of a car inside. they told none us who made it or even if it was gonna be manufactured.
we filled out a opinion form and they sent us on our way.
two years later it was introduced to the public as the dodge caravan.
so i guess what im trying to say is that g.m. should make a bold move and give us the consumer what we need instead of trying to force feed us something we dont want.
#152364 - 03/26/04 08:57 AM Re: 5.3 L V8 in '05 GTP???????
Adam S. Offline
Those are all great points. But, there are other ways to become a successful automaker, besided an innovative design or vehicle. If you look at the world's top manufacturers, they don't necessarily need to come out with something new and different to keep them going. I don't care for foreign cars, but look at it this way. Benz, BMW, Honda, etc. don't necessarily try to always release new and funky models, just to be different and noticed. They keep the same basic lineup for years and years, but just build them attractively, solid, and mostly reliable, with very few gimmicks, and constant improvement for the most part. They don't radically change models, or try and bring back old names and slap them on a current body. Foreign cars don't sell because they're flashy, have questionable over-styling or gimmicks. They tweak their models every few years, and improve a little here and there. I would like to see GM and the others start to do the same some day, instead of drastically changing its models and lineup every few years. But, with all this in mind, remember that GM is selling the most out of everyone right now, and that's all that matters to them.
#152365 - 03/26/04 09:34 AM Re: 5.3 L V8 in '05 GTP???????
4 T 8 states Offline
you got that right .. because i buy g.m. i beleive in g.m. g.m. will be around a long time because of their innovation and the pursuit to build cars for the masses that are affordable cool
#152366 - 04/15/04 09:51 PM Re: 5.3 L V8 in '05 GTP???????
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
Ok what is being said here makes no sense at all, one person says the TransAm is gone for good because of economic reasons? GTO ITS JUST AS FAST! And as well cost me the same to insure as if i would have bought a comp g? whats the economics of that. and its not sitting on the old 2 door GP platform its an australian car the Monaro from GM's company Holden. They killed it soly becuase of sales regardless of what they say. if teh v8 sprt segment was done we wouldnt have a 380 HP ls6 powered family car from the fine folks at GM. the reason it was killed was becuase everyone else was changing and gm wasnt. A sitting duck is a dead duck and thats what the Transam was. Maybe im just crazy or soemthing i dunno
#152367 - 04/15/04 10:17 PM Re: 5.3 L V8 in '05 GTP???????
Jizz Offline
Loc: Central Maryland
That is what I was trying to say....

Who wants a RWD vehicle -- ok states with little rain and no snow... so how many states did we just rule out?

The V8 segment is not gone just changing. More efficient and more powerful motors. Like the 5.7L replacement -- the all aluminum 6L - more powerful and more efficient. Plus they use it across more vehicles like the truck/van family. So like I said -- look for a AWD Trans AM in the near future sporting the 6L V8.

Now that is a vehicle that can go in the rain and limited snow.

Yes a little elf told me.
#152368 - 04/18/04 05:20 AM Re: 5.3 L V8 in '05 GTP???????
mygrandprixkikzass Offline
Loc: Wisconsin
Being the big grand prix fanatic that I am, and when I seen on here that someone had heard that they were going to put a V8 in a grand prix, I had to do a little research and I found this on motortrend.com
http://www.motortrend.com/future/spied/112_2005fvf/index5.html