Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152465 - 06/18/03 12:13 AM Early impressions
Cliff Cherry Offline
Loc: Caldwell, NJ
With 54 miles on it (446 to go 'til breakout time), some early observations:

One concern I had having not test driven the vehicle first was the "harsh ride" that some said the Comp G had. I've got a real good "proving grounds" on the street my office is on. After driving to work & back today, all I can surmise is that 6 years of cowboy must have hammer my 97, because the Comp G felt like a Sedan DeVille by comparison.

I only "pushed" it once, merging onto a freeway coming back from lunch today, and my two passengers were impressed, but I'm waiting for break-in to fully exploit it. For the same reason, I haven't used the TAPshift yet.

I also haven't had a chance to work with the OnStar system yet; I hope to by the weekend.

The XM is pretty cool; my wife and I went through all the channels last night. So far the only presets are NASCAR (the reason I bought XM), Torch, and Fish, but I'm sure Chrome will follow shortly (anyone who doesn't have XM has no idea confused ; those that do can look them up!).

Some things are a little different from the 97 and take getting used to. The steering wheel volume control is a little lower on the 04; I've already turned on the wipers 3 times because the new stalk is so close to the wheel it's easy to bump; the air conditioning is a LOT more complicated than the auto control on the 97 - it took a while to get it right for my lunchtime crew :p .

Some things that you guys might be able help me out with - the HUD seems to fade and brighten fairly constantly, especially at night. I'm guessing it's because it's light sensitive and it reacts to passing under street lights, but of course by the time it changes it's now dark again, and it's kind of annoying. I don't know if anything can be done about it, but any input would be appreciated. The other issue is my wife's - when we made a sharp turn that we were familiar with, she automatically reached up for the grab handle, only to grasp air. She said, "I need a handle up there, especially with you driving!" laugh Would it be possible to install one on the passenger side? Our family sanity may depend on it.

One thing I found tonight that makes a much bigger difference than I thought it would is the trunk opening. The brochures and such touted the new trunk opening as easy to get into with the low sill, yada, yada. The 97 had a pretty low sill so I didn't see what the big deal would be. After grocery shopping tonight, I can say that's a fantastic design on the new trunk! You don't even have to lift up at all over the opening to put grocery bags in or out, and the latch won't get caught up in the plastic bags like the old one would if you weren't careful. Definitely a major plus for the redesign. Forget the performance upgrades, I like the new trunk square !

All in all, it's pretty cool and I can't wait to get to 500 miles so I can reap the full benefits :p !

Just checkin' in periodically :-D
#152466 - 06/18/03 07:48 AM Re: Early impressions
midlifecrisis Offline
Loc: new jersey
Hooray for orange GPs in NJ!

I will not be able to compare a previous generation GP with this one, rather a Grand Am to compare to (although I test drove a 03 GPGT and was impressed). The GAGT has served me well for 4 years - it should be interesting to compare the GPGT2 to it.

Are there grab handles in the rear? Also, doesn't the trunk use struts instead of hinges, so no crushed items in the trunk?
#152467 - 06/18/03 08:02 AM Re: Early impressions
Wayne Wilson Offline
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Cherry:
the Comp G felt like a Sedan DeVille by comparison.
I had a 2000 GP GT before this, so I did notice it being 'firmer' but had no issues or dislikes about it. I haven't had the opportunity to *really* punch it up yet, but at 165 km/hr (~95 mph) I was sitting at about 3200 rpm in 3rd gear, no shimmy, rattles or shakes and the overall suspension ride felt like I was on a cloud...was really impressed. smile

Quote:
I only "pushed" it once, merging onto a freeway coming back from lunch today, and my two passengers were impressed
and that was with two more people in the car. I've noticed a big difference between solo and having one person in the car.

Quote:
For the same reason, I haven't used the TAPshift yet..
I used my TAPShift right from the get go, just didn't abuse it with real high-power starts/shifts. I figured I'd need to get used to it for awhile...and I was right. It's like old hat now...and unless I'm cruising on a hwyway...I've always got it in TAPShift mode...it's just SOOO much fun. laugh

Quote:
I also haven't had a chance to work with the OnStar system yet; I hope to by the weekend.
You should activate it right away, best to do it just before you're leaving home and going somewhere. You have to hit the blue onstar button and they'll come online and ask if you wish to activate now. It takes like 5-10 minutes, they confirm some info with you and then sync up with the GPS in the car for a few minutes while you're out driving or parked out in the open. Also, don't know if this is standard or not on all sales but I got 30 free minutes on the built-in cell phone and it takes 3 business days to activate the cell functionality itself and requires about 30 minutes of car on/driving to get the activation and minute allotment downloaded to the car.

The cell function is pretty sweet. The voice activation rocks. I've had several people try it and never had a problem understanding, which I was quite impressed with. I work in IT and I've played with voice recognition systems a bit and know how finicky they can be, so kudos to GM on this one...works real well.

I have a personal cell phone, so I wasn't thinking of using the car cell past the free time provided. However, after talking with the Onstar reps...it costs nothing monthly! As long you subscribe to at least the base Onstar package (Roadside assistance), the cell is included. All you need to do is buy time packages for it. A little on the pricey side, $50 CDN for 100 minutes (~$37 US). But I'd like to just use it for emergencies or when you really need to make a call while driving...not just casual use. So that works for me...

Quote:
The XM is pretty cool.
You got me on that one, as XM is not available in the Canadian market...so I couldn't get it, wasn't listed as an option.

Could probably get it aftermarket as I'm sure it's like the DirectTV thing...only legal for sale in the US but the signals probably reach up here too...

Quote:
The steering wheel volume control is a little lower on the 04.
Never had those controls on my GT, so this wasn't an issue for me...

However, speaking of controls...the key fob is identical in appearance to the one I had on my GT...but I am thinking the 'red alarm' button on the FOB sits higher than previously (not as recessed in the FOB) because in the past month I've hit the god damn thing 3 times accidentally either stuffing it in my pocket or while grasping it to unlock the doors. I *never* accidentally set off the alarm even once on my previous one.

It's either that or my fingers are getting fatter... wink ...hard to image though since I'm on a diet right now and have lost 30 lbs in the last 4 months... smile

Quote:
I've already turned on the wipers 3 times because the new stalk is so close to the wheel it's easy to bump.
I don't have a problem with the wiper control at the 3 o'clock position...other than it taking a little while to get used to it being on the right side. I thought the cruise control lever would be the problem sitting at 4/5 o'clock and close to my knee. But in the past month, I haven't seemed to hit it or anything...

Quote:
the HUD seems to fade and brighten fairly constantly, especially at night.
I haven't done a lot of night time driving yet and haven't used the HUD much at all. Being that I've mostly driven the car during the daytime lately and the HUD doesn't show up well when wearing polarized shades...

Is that with the HUD setting on highest intensity?

Quote:
The other issue is my wife's - when we made a sharp turn that we were familiar with, she automatically reached up for the grab handle.
Hehe...can't comment on that one either, as I currently don't have a significant other to worry about... wink

Quote:
One thing I found tonight that makes a much bigger difference than I thought it would is the trunk opening.
Yeah and the size of it, I haven't hauled anything other than groceries with it yet...but everyone that I show the car to loves the trunk access/space.
#152468 - 06/18/03 08:08 AM Re: Early impressions
Wayne Wilson Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by midlifecrisis:
Are there grab handles in the rear?
Yes, there are grab handles in the front and back. They are just more lower and flatter than previously:

Quote:
Also, doesn't the trunk use struts instead of hinges, so no crushed items in the trunk?
Yes, although that's not new on the 2004...I had struts on my 2000 GP GT.
#152469 - 06/18/03 01:10 PM Re: Early impressions
midlifecrisis Offline
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wayne Wilson:
[QB] QUOTE]Yes, there are grab handles in the front and back. They are just more lower and flatter than previously:

Are we talking grab handles to open and close the door or grab handles above the door to grab hold of? That pic does not show the latter.
#152470 - 06/19/03 06:50 PM Re: Early impressions
Wayne Wilson Offline
Ahhh...mistook what you both were referring to... crazy ...now I'm with ya...

Yes to door handles ON the door and no to grab handles OVER the door.
#152471 - 06/19/03 07:49 PM Re: Early impressions
Cliff Cherry Offline
Yes and unfortunately the dealer can't put them in above the door because the roof isn't adapted for it :rolleyes: . One friend suggested a five-point harness for Leanne - she thought that would be pretty cool.

I did briefly try the TAPshift- one thing I don't like is how small the speed on the HUD gets; I can hardly read it and it takes concentration away from driving. Oh well, one more thing to get used to.

The OnStar is pretty neat. I called Leanne this evening to try out the system and got the answering machine; 20 minutes later she *69'd to get the number and called back; the CD suddenly stopped and a phone ringing sound came on. Pretty cool.

Sorry about no XM in Canada; it's a good system although I mostly listen to CD's. Love having the NASCAR broadcasts though! cheers

All in all, it's just a matter of getting used to new things, but it is frustrating that GM took away some things the 97 had (grab handle, auto climate, etc.) kooky .

P.S. - Gettin' there - 199 miles thumbsup !

#152472 - 06/20/03 07:33 AM Re: Early impressions
midlifecrisis Offline
I probably should have gotten XM radio just for the NASCAR broadcasts. I can't tell you how many times I've been driving around on Sundays and can't watch the race. NASCAR broadcasts over the airwaves are few and far between.
#152473 - 06/26/03 07:43 AM Re: Early impressions
gp2 Offline
Loc: Buffalo, NY
Picked up my GT2 2 weeks ago. So far I can't find any defects in workmanship. I'm pretty picky so that's saying something. Very nice pick-up, throaty exhaust is not too loud and yes it will squeal the tires without mutch effort. Still waiting for Aux adapter from PIE or PAC I'm told 4th quarter at the earliest. FM modulator for Delphi XM radio is decent but I hate having to turn the XM radio on each time I start the car. Kudos to Pontiac this car is very nice especially for the price range it's in.
#152474 - 06/26/03 08:04 AM Re: Early impressions
midlifecrisis Offline
Yeah baby - keep the good reviews coming!
#152475 - 06/26/03 06:24 PM Re: Early impressions
Wayne Wilson Offline
Quote:
One friend suggested a five-point harness for Leanne - she thought that would be pretty cool.
Hmmm...That *would* be cool... smile

Oh and I have now started hitting the wiper arm accidentally (what you had mentioned before)...usually when turning off the ignition and removing the keys...really sucks when you pull up to a parking spot, several folks stop and look to check out the wheels, then you accidentally hit the wiper arm and the wipers go off... eek ...kinda like those scenes in movies where it's a kid and the wipers go off, trunk pops, etc... :rolleyes:

The only other drag, almost as bad as waiting for your order from GM (but not quite), is waiting for the sites/shops to start getting mods for the 2004. I know *some* of the engine mods from earlier models work, but some other stuff like exterior things (custom hoods, etc) we'll have to wait for...
#152476 - 06/26/03 07:06 PM Re: Early impressions
Cliff Cherry Offline
LOL about the wipers. That's actually one thing I haven't done in a while :p

I finally reached 500 miles cheers !

BTW, a friend who has a 2002 Rendezvous got to test the OnStar airbag notification after someone pulled out just as he was turning in eek . At least he was happy with OnStar's assistance.

#152477 - 06/28/03 10:07 PM Re: Early impressions
Wayne Wilson Offline
Quote:
Still happy with the investment so far cheers !
You and me both! thumbsup

Quote:
BTW, a friend who has a 2002 Rendezvous got to test the OnStar airbag notification after someone pulled out just as he was turning in
Sorry to hear of your friend's misfortune...but glad to hear the OnStar is more than just marketing hype... smile
#152478 - 07/02/03 07:21 PM Re: Early impressions
davemac Offline
Loc: Boston
Here are some of my reactions after about 3500 miles. For reference, my previous cars were a 2002 Bonneville SSEi and at 1997 GTP.

1. The rear view mirror seems large and low, and blocks a large area where traffic might be hiding, epecially in parking lots.
2. I didn't like the automatic dimming mirror, so I don't really miss it now, but the 90 degree turn mechanism on the 04 is silly and awkward. What was wrong with the old "flip up" lever?
3. I never liked the automatic temperature controls so good riddance to them.
4. The Bonneville trunk had the "crush your packages" feature, I'm glad the GP still doesn't. Also the Bonneville would drip water from the trunk lid into the trunk when you opened it in the rain, a less-than-brilliant design. I'm glad to say the GP doesn't do that.
5. That's a reeeealy big control in a conspicuous place to adjust the HUD, which I used once and will never touch again. They have moved the HUD control on every model but this one seems overdone.
6. I like the Cancel feature on the cruise control. I did accidentally turn the wipers on once when trying to set the cruise.
7. I guess TAPshift is ok, but I never drive with it. The interface is better than on a 97 Boxster I had, but shift controls belong on the floor, and there are other cars that put them there.
8. I never used it on the 97, but I still felt cheated when I learned that the 04 doesn't come with a valet key.
9. Speaking of keys, Pontiac mailed me an "emergency key" for the 97. When I traded it for the 02, the salesmen tossed that key out, saying they were nothing but trouble. OK, I didn't get one in the mail for my 02 or 04, and I guess OnStar is a good replacement for the emergency access problem. But if the key is trouble, why did my girlfriend just get one in the mail for her new (OnStar-equipped) Ion?
10. Speaking of mail, Pontiac also mailed me a GTP key ring for the 97 and made me feel like I was part of some cool club. Owning the Bonneville made me feel like I was old, so I didn't expect the same kind of thing. But hey I'm young again now, but no similar treatment.
11. Speaking of key rings, my keys were constantly banging against the dash. I found a Pontiac logo ring on eBay with removable sections (to give the valet! :-) and I now separate the car key so it rides alone. But that's a hassle that I now fiddle with every time I get in or out of the car.
12. Why do the doors lock when I shift to D (and not R) but unlock when I shift to P? The 02 and 97 would lock when shifted out of P, and unlock when shifted to P.

Well, that should be enough for now :-)
#152479 - 07/02/03 10:15 PM Re: Early impressions
Cliff Cherry Offline
Davemac,
Just a few comments on your post -

1.So far the mirrors seem about the same to me as the 97, although I do catch a little of the back seat at the bottom of the image which I didn't with the 97.

2.I agree with you about the twisting day/night knob.

4.The trunk design is a lot better as I posted elsewhere. Also, I had a lot of trouble with water dripping into the trunk with the 97 - not a problem at all with the 04.

7.My biggest problem with the TAPshift is how small the MPH gets on the HUD. I would use the TAPshift more than I do if they could make the speed readout bigger.

Other than that, it's a pretty cool deal smile . I take it you feel likewise despite the issues posted cheers

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >