Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152480 - 07/03/03 07:50 AM Re: Early impressions
midlifecrisis Offline
Loc: new jersey
If anyone who is not using their TapShift wants to remove it and send it my way.... wink
#152481 - 07/03/03 01:57 PM Re: Early impressions
davemac Offline
Loc: Boston
Cliff, I love the car, it's my fourth Grand Prix since 89. I think you understood my intent, but to clarif, my post was intended as observations, not complaints, in the hope that maybe a future model might make some improvements in those areas where I think they're needed, and not regress on things that are already working right.

PS I wasn't so happy with the 02 Bonneville, which is why I kept it only a year. If the 02 GTP had had a CD changer (how could they have dropped that?) I would have bought one and I wouldn't be in the 04 now.
#152482 - 07/03/03 04:35 PM Re: Early impressions
Nitrox Offline
Loc: Canada
Yep, I don't like the keys rattling on the dash for one.
The rear windows have an up slope at the end and seem to block the blind spot a bit.
The Hud control is really way too big and should be hidden on the dash someplace. I liked the cup holders on the 97 better because I rarely use them anyway.
Other than that this car is awesome and is VERY fun to drive. thumbsup thumbsup
#152483 - 07/03/03 05:48 PM Re: Early impressions
Cliff Cherry Offline
Loc: Caldwell, NJ
Davemac, gotcha on the observations aspect.

I have a similar story to your 02 Bonny. My first Pontiac was an 89 GP SE (back when SE was the top level). I loved it and kept it for 5 1/2 years and 110,000 miles. I traded it in for a 95 Monte Z34. It was OK, but I enjoyed the Pontiac more. So after a little over 2 years I bought a 97 GTP and had it for 6 great years until getting the OO 04.

Just to comment on the key issue, I have a ton of keys on my keychain, and I don't notice the rattle at all. I guess it's in the ear of the beholder :p

Just checkin' in periodically :-D
#152484 - 07/04/03 08:59 PM Re: Early impressions
Wayne Wilson Offline
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by davemac:
1. The rear view mirror seems large and low, and blocks a large area where traffic might be hiding, epecially in parking lots.
I had a 2000 GP GT before, never really noticed a diff with the mirror size...non-issue for me...

Quote:
2. I didn't like the automatic dimming mirror, so I don't really miss it now, but the 90 degree turn mechanism on the 04 is silly and awkward. What was wrong with the old "flip up" lever?
I've never used it, so can't really comment one way or the other...maybe it's 'cause I don't let many people catch up to me... wink

Quote:
4. The Bonneville trunk had the "crush your packages" feature, I'm glad the GP still doesn't. Also the Bonneville would drip water from the trunk lid into the trunk when you opened it in the rain, a less-than-brilliant design. I'm glad to say the GP doesn't do that.
They addressed both of those in earlier models as my 2000 never had those issues. My previous 1992 Lumina Z34 had both those problems and I agree...glad they had addressed that.

Quote:
5. That's a reeeealy big control in a conspicuous place to adjust the HUD, which I used once and will never touch again. They have moved the HUD control on every model but this one seems overdone.
Yeah, I'd have to agree on that one...big control on the console for no real reason. I haven't done much night driving, but can't use it during the day as polarized sunglasses make it practically invisible. Kinda strange though that tilting my head to either side at least 20 degrees makes it bright and visible thru the shades. So why couldn't they orient the projector in such a way so it's visible with/without shades?

Quote:
7. I guess TAPshift is ok, but I never drive with it. The interface is better than on a 97 Boxster I had, but shift controls belong on the floor, and there are other cars that put them there.
I love the TAPShift and use it all the time. I would agree though that having a 3rd mechanism on the console to give you the choice would be better. Sometimes I'm driving with one arm out the window and the right hand on the wheel, so the wheel mounted shifter is fine. Other times, my left elbow is on the door and left hand gripping the wheel at 10 oclock...right hand rests on the console shifter. For those instances, I'd like to shift at the console. Also, accelerating through a corner requires keeping your hands at the position of the wheel shifters to change gears which can be awkward at times.

Quote:
11. Speaking of key rings, my keys were constantly banging against the dash.
Mine were at first too and I was gonna pop into a hardware store and get some felt or something to stick underneath the keys/fob to quiet it...then over time as I added a few more keys to the ring and it got heavier...it doesn't move/bounce as much and I haven't noticed the 'banging' noise in awhile.

Quote:
12. Why do the doors lock when I shift to D (and not R) but unlock when I shift to P? The 02 and 97 would lock when shifted out of P, and unlock when shifted to P.
Don't know why they changed it, but you can revert it back as there are several options available (disable autolock altogether or flip between new mode and old mode). I left mine as is since it didn't bother me, but if you check in your owner's manual it details how to change the default behaviour to what you want.
#152485 - 07/09/03 08:51 AM Re: Early impressions
davemac Offline
I don't mean that the mirror is physically large, but that it's very close and low in my line of sight.

The owner's manual contradicts itself on the auto locking options. On page 2-9 it says "All of the doors will lock automatically when the shift lever is moved out of PARK." and refers you to page 3-45 for programming options. On page 3-49 where AUTO DOOR LOCK is discussed, it says "If ON is selected, the vehicle's doors automatically lock when the doors are closed and the vehicle is shifted into DRIVE" and that's the way it really works. If it worked as it says on 2-9 then I'd have no complaint.
#152486 - 07/09/03 06:52 PM Re: Early impressions
Fluid Offline
Loc: Alaska, USA
This is just a matter of programming, which is admittedly a bit confusing in the manual. There are several options when the AUTO DOOR LOCK feature is turned ON. First is selecting the doors:

* One is by selecting OFF in the AUTO DOOR UNLOCK's screen...see what I mean? This keeps all doors locked when shifted into PARK.

* Another is selecting DRIVER, which unlocks only the driver's door when shifting into PARK.

* The last is selecting ALL. This unlocks all doors when shifted into PARK.

Next you can select when the doors will unlock, either when the key is removed or when shifted into PARK.

Next select DELAYED LOCKING on or off. And on it goes. It looks like you can program the locks the way you want: "All of the doors will lock automatically when the shift lever is moved out of PARK". This is the way mine is now programmed - I don't remember how it was programmed from the factory. confused
#152487 - 07/10/03 10:28 AM Re: Early impressions
davemac Offline
Fluid, I don't have a problem with the way the doors unlock. I want them to lock when I shift OUT of PARK, not when I shift IN to DRIVE. There is no programming option to do that. The manual says there is, on page 2-9, as I quoted, but later in the programming section it only specifies locking when the transmission is shifted to D.
#152488 - 07/10/03 10:34 AM Re: Early impressions
Cliff Cherry Offline
Davemac,

I know you're not going to be happy having to do this all the time :rolleyes: , but I guess if you want to lock the doors as you reverse you can drop it into drive and then back up to reverse.

#152489 - 07/11/03 10:13 AM Re: Early impressions
davemac Offline
Maybe I can rig a mechanical connection with some levers and pulleys between the shift knob and the door lock button.

Back to observations:

I don't really like the dimples in the trunk. Yes, they follow the contour of the brake lights. So then don't contour the brake lights. The first 2 times I headed for the car after work, I thought it had been hit by a truck. (Again, not really a gripe. Lots of people have commented to me positively on the Eurasian styling.)

Why does the interior light "fade" on? (It comes on slowly, I mean.) I leave the car unlocked in the garage. If I go to get something out of the back seat, I have to wait a couple of seconds after I open the door before the light comes on enough to see anything. Fading is cool but in this case detracts from the user experience.
#152490 - 07/11/03 10:39 AM Re: Early impressions
Fluid Offline
Quote:
Fluid, I don't have a problem with the way the doors unlock. I want them to lock when I shift OUT of PARK, not when I shift IN to DRIVE.
Now I don't understand - that is how mine work: the doors lock when shifting into DRIVE and unlock when shifting into PARK. That's how it should be, and that's how mine is. I wonder why yours doesn't do that? Try changing the programming - I set mine the day I got the car and do not remember exactly what I did....sorry.
confused
#152491 - 07/11/03 12:08 PM Re: Early impressions
Cliff Cherry Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by davemac:
Maybe I can rig a mechanical connection with some levers and pulleys between the shift knob and the door lock button.
lol lol lol

Also, Fluid, if I may speak on Davemac's behalf, your setup is the same as his but he wants the doors to lock upon going into reverse, not waiting until you get to drive, hence my solution of going down to drive first then back up to reverse, but the lever and pulley solution is also viable lol

#152492 - 07/13/03 01:21 AM Re: Early impressions
Fluid Offline
Sorry, I guess I just can't read! cheers
#152493 - 07/14/03 11:06 AM Re: Early impressions
midlifecrisis Offline
Loc: new jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by Fluid:
BTW, I saw my first OO GT2 yesterday at the dealer - looks pretty cool, better in person than in pics. cheers
If only mine would actually get delivered from the factory! banghead
#152494 - 08/12/03 08:17 PM Re: Early impressions
jvojr Offline
Loc: Catskills, NY
I would like to comment on the cell phone in the rear view mirror. I like that it is completely integrated with the stereo, very cool. My only problem is this: I need to use a key pad when I use the phone most of the time. You know when you call a store or company and the recording says press 0 to speak to customer service or if you know your party's extension you may enter it now. I can't retrieve me voicemail either. Basically the phone is useless for me. I called on-star from the car and asked if there was anything I could do. They said no. I asked if I could hook up my current service to the system in the car as I already pay for unlimited minutes and don't want to pay for another phone. They said no. So what we have here is a novelty cell phone with no practical uses.

Traded in. 2003 GTP. Every option but HUD. New Mods: Wizaired CAI, SLP Headers, Cat, U-bend and Downpipe, 3.2 Modular Pulley, Phase 3 rollers w/OR Pushrods, Larger Belt Tensioner Pulley, Gatorback, AL103's, 180 Degree Stat, DHP
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >