Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152535 - 05/18/03 11:58 PM Question re:Modifications
Wayne Wilson Offline
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Hi all. I have some questions and I'm new to this whole 'mod' thing, so bear with me on my lack of knowledge on this...

Based on what I've read of the previous year GP models, my understanding is that if you wanted to change the SC pulley...you also had to upgrade your exhaust and add a transmission cooler at a minimum to support it.

So first question, is this true with previous models (and did it depend on the size of the replacement pulley?) and second...if so, does this still apply to the '04 model?

I don't want to mod my new '04 right away, want to wait a bit and make sure all is cool with the car before I think of doing any mods. But the first mod I would want to do is change the SC pulley, so just tryin' to get my head around what would be required.
#152536 - 05/19/03 04:17 AM Re: Question re:Modifications
Lorenzo Lopez Offline
Loc: Indiana
Well first of all, you don't have to do ANYTHING if you change the pulley, but adding a new exhaust, thermostat, Cold Air Intake (CAI), and what not would be extremely helpful!!! I had a '97, and a '01 GTP and they were both just fine with just the pulley swap and a K&N filter that fit the stock airbox. Eventually, I did add quite a bit of aftermarket items under the hood, but initially, the pulley swap was fine.

Any other ??'s
#152537 - 05/19/03 07:53 AM Re: Question re:Modifications
Marc Harbison Offline
Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
Hi Wayne,
If you install either a 3.5 or 3.4" pulley, you really don't need supporting modifications. If you plan it go lower than that... your car will end up needing a little help.

Generally, the first performance modifications people will make to any car is to make it breath better. In most cases, that means a more efficent intake and exhaust. In our case, that also could include a smaller pulley on the SC.

If you plan on driving your car hard (1/4 mile racing, road racing, Auto-X'ing, or even a lot of driving in mountainous areas) an aux. tranny oil cooler is a good idea for our cars.

Mod'ing our cars can be a lot of fun. Just be sure what you want to do is practical for your application (i.e, is the car a daily driver or a weekend fun machine). This site and http://www.clubgp.com are great sources of information. If there's a mod you think you may be interested in, but would like to learn more about... do a search first, read as much as you can and then if you have more questions... ask. Most of the mods have been discussed at great length and just about every question has been asked at some point. Searching will pay dividends when it comes to determining what it is you want to do next.

Best of luck,
Marc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RIP '97 GTP w/ 192K miles - Totaled when broadsided
#152538 - 05/19/03 06:29 PM Re: Question re:Modifications
Wayne Wilson Offline
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Thanks guys for the responses. I mostly use the car for daily driving to work (45 min drive each way) and like to push it whenever I can. Street racing may be something I may want to get into later...but for now, I'm just interested in eeking a *little* more out of my car...just 'cause I can... laugh

That's good info, thanks again guys!
#152539 - 06/04/03 03:32 PM Re: Question re:Modifications
Chew Offline
Loc: Washington, DC
Be careful - once the mod bug bites ... you will never recover savewave thumbsup

Chew

2007 Sly Silver Pontiac Solstice GXP
#152540 - 06/05/03 05:15 PM Re: Question re:Modifications
midlifecrisis Offline
Loc: new jersey
I'm on life support due to my modding habit!