Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152541 - 04/15/03 10:32 PM XM radio disappointment
jtemail Offline
Loc: Warminster, PA
I own 2 aftermarket XM radios in other vehicles. They work fine, they are the FM modulated variety. My new GTP Comp G does not have the factory XM (RPO U2K) installed. I do have the uplevel U1Q Delco/Monsoon 6cd in dash changer though.

Apparently, XM is added by adding a digital receiver, wiring harness and antenna which connects to the digital receiver. The digital receiver connects to the factory head unit.

I can not buy this digital receiver from GM or anywhere else for that matter so it can play nice with the factory OEM config. Anyone I encounter sends me to the aftermarket which I am fully aware of my options.

It truly amazes me that Delco/Delphi and/or GM will not sell their own products to consumers that want them. I took the car from dealer inventory in haste. I assumed that adding OEM XM would be relatively simple. That was a dangerous assumption.

I have been unable to obtain the GM part #'s to order. One dealer said he could get the stuff, but he needed a VIN of a car that already had the XM to order it. I provided him with one (not mine) and then he refused, knowing that I didn't have the XM installed by the factory.

This is a bit crazy to me. If anyone knows someone at a GM parts counter that would order the appropriate stuff for me, I would gladly pay for it. 3 parts: digital receiver, antenna and wiring harness. Its quite possible that any XM antenna would do the trick and that I only actually really need 2 parts.

Otherwise, I may be pursuing the aftermarket FM modulated solutions soon. I can't use the PIE or blitzsafe adapters on the Delco/Monsoon radio due to the in-dash 6 disc changer, so FM is the onyl way to go at this point. The same holds true for the 2000-2003 Bonneville's.

Another interesting dilemma is that I don't know how to remove the dash panels on this car. There are no service manuals available yet and people don't know where to "pull on" yet.

Its an interesting adventure buying a car so early in its life.
#152542 - 04/22/03 12:57 AM Re: XM radio disappointment
Redshift Offline
Loc: Raleigh, NC
frown

E-mail me the part numbers and I will try to help. brian@pfyc.com
#152543 - 04/22/03 09:27 AM Re: XM radio disappointment
jtemail Offline
Emailing now, part of my issue is that I can not obtain the parts numbers though. frown
#152544 - 04/27/03 01:44 PM Re: XM radio disappointment
Lorenzo Lopez Offline
Loc: Indiana
Yeah, that sucks, I test drove a nice little red 2004 that had XM built into the factory deck... no exterior parts in the interior of the car... it was friggin nice!!!

It sucks you can't find anything on it, though! That SUCKS! XM is definately a nice addition if you aren't wanting to take apart your dash for aftermarket stereos...
#152545 - 06/04/03 03:10 PM Re: XM radio disappointment
Chew Offline
Loc: Washington, DC
Did you ever resolve this?

If not, post here and I'll see what I can come up with also savewave

Chew

2007 Sly Silver Pontiac Solstice GXP
#152546 - 06/04/03 03:44 PM Re: XM radio disappointment
jtemail Offline
Thanks very much. My resolution was to go aftermarket. I installed a Delphi SkiFi XM unit. No one would go near ordering the factory XM parts for me even though I was perfectly willing to pay. There were various answers such as the parts being on constraint, the parts are not available, the parts are not permitted to be installed in a retrofit environment. I was told if I could produce a VIN of a car with it installed in the factory, I could order it. I did so, and then the dealer chickened out and wouldn't order. I gave up.