Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152827 - 04/10/06 04:23 PM Throttle Body / ATS/IAS
rijp Offline
Loc: Atlanta
I am having some problems with upgrading my vehicle. It appears this vehicle is too new to find any information, no chilton manuals, no online pics, no OEM parts.. its been rough.

I bought the car used, and it has 100,000+ miles on it, but I love the car. Its in excellent condition. But I want to "pimp my ride".

I was reading on the Grand Prix Store, and it mentions a few things, about intake, and I found a thing about "upgrade the throttle body".

Can someone give me a clue as to where I can find a replaceable Throttle body? What size do I need, that sort of thing.

I was driving my car the other day, I got an error code (Can't remember exactly) DTC P1518 or something, but its "Electronic Throttle Control". I have onstar, and that's what they told my vehicle diagnostics said the problem was. My engine light came on, and I lost power. I cycled the vehicle, and engine light remained on, but I can drive normally. Overnight, the light didn't come back on the next morning, so I thought the problem was fixed, but as soon as I push the pedal hard ( like flooring) within a few minutes, I lost power, engine light, I have to cycle the vehicle, light stays on until I let the car sit for a few hours, and then its ok again. I can drive it fine, as long as I don't "get on it".

So I have 2 questions. How can I get this part replaced (I don't want to do dealer thing, they are expensive) but if I have to buy a dealer part, I will.

I also want to know where EXACTLY the ATS Air Temperature Sensor is. Is this the same as Air Mass Sensor? I am moding my car, I got the cone style air filter, too my stock one out, I tinted my windows, my brakes are gone, so I bought new rotors, hawk pads, steel braided hoses, and I bought a Compustar Remote Start/Alarm, and I upgrade my stereo.. I am keeping this car for a while.

Anyway, I want some help in finding these recommended "upgrades" for my car. I figured since the link to the grand prix store was on here, someone on here could help me figure these things out.

Please, someone, give me some pics of the ATS and Throttle body, and where I can get some upgrade parts for my car. Thank you very much.
#152828 - 04/23/06 10:47 PM Re: Throttle Body / ATS/IAS
Tappeter Offline
Loc: Central New York
Ok, here goes. The ATS is in the large rubber hose connecting your air filter assembly to the throttle body, the large black accordian hose. A small wire harness goes to the sensor. Its probably coated with light dust due your cone type filter. They admit more dust then paper filters. Disconnect the large rubber hose from the air filter assembly. You need to clean the sensor and you need to be very carful. DO NOT directly touch it. The best way to clean it is spray it with electrical contact cleaner or a good spray brake cleaner. Sray carefully a few times and let it dry. Then reconnect the hose.