Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152844 - 12/15/05 09:15 PM Took Delivery of 2006 GP GT Today
iteachflyin Offline
Loc: New York
Well, I got her. Black on black GT, EVERY avaiable GT option except GPS and reversible trunk mat. One option that I had the dealer install turns out to be fantastic, dual round stainless-steel exhaust tips on both sides. Once you see them, you will want them. The stock tips just don't cut it in the looks department. Trust me, these are stunning looking tips. The detailer did a super job waxing her up with Zymol, the finish looks phenominal. One little blemish though, there's a tiny pebble-sized chip on the top of the rear bumper, near the center of the bumper. The dealer's paint shop said they would wait until warm weather in the spring and touch it up and try to buff it down. It's not really very noticeable unless you're looking for it and I've seen worse on other new cars, so I wasn't gonna let it throw me. I have a '99 GP GT Coupe that I love (one of my daughter's has it now) and this car is every bit and more magnificent. I think I'm gonna enjoy every minute of it. The interior layout is super, the XM radio sounds great, the front seats are very cushioned and comfortable and the workmanship seems really decent. Something I noticed though on a new one I test drove and this one also is that the side mirror adjustment toggle switch "sticks". Both cars were exactly the same, so it may be a systemic defect. I'm gonna bring it to the dealer's attention as a possible tech bulletin item. If you push it hard and fool with it the mirrors do move but not the way they should. Well, I know this was long, but I'm really excited about this car. It's a nice product overall. I'll keep you posted as I gain more experience with it.
#152845 - 12/15/05 09:23 PM Re: Took Delivery of 2006 GP GT Today
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Got any pics?
Post them as soon as you can!

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#152846 - 12/16/05 09:27 AM Re: Took Delivery of 2006 GP GT Today
Cliff Cherry Offline
Loc: Caldwell, NJ
Sounds good. Hmmm...I've had 2 04+ GP's and never had that problem with the mirror switch. Strange that you had it in 2 different cars confused .

And x2 about the seats - they're far more comfortable than my 97's were. I've driven 4 hours straight and gotten out like I'd just come back from the grocery store laugh .

Also you could confirm this - your car doesn't have the Heads Up Display, right? My understanding is that that's on the GXP only now, and not even available on the GT. If you never had it before, you don't mind not having it. But for me and a lot of others, once you have a car with the HUD, you don't want a car without it smile .

Just checkin' in periodically :-D
#152847 - 12/16/05 03:42 PM Re: Took Delivery of 2006 GP GT Today
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Good to hear.

Now, go and enjoy your GP.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#152848 - 12/22/05 10:13 AM Re: Took Delivery of 2006 GP GT Today
iteachflyin Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Cherry:
Sounds good. Hmmm...I've had 2 04+ GP's and never had that problem with the mirror switch. Strange that you had it in 2 different cars confused .

And x2 about the seats - they're far more comfortable than my 97's were. I've driven 4 hours straight and gotten out like I'd just come back from the grocery store laugh .

Also you could confirm this - your car doesn't have the Heads Up Display, right? My understanding is that that's on the GXP only now, and not even available on the GT. If you never had it before, you don't mind not having it. But for me and a lot of others, once you have a car with the HUD, you don't want a car without it smile .
Related to my sticky mirror switch ... the last thing I want is for the dealer to start pulling my switch panel out to fool around with it. They always break clips or chip up the trim. I'll mention it to them and then wait until the car is a lot closer to the end of warranty to have it fixed.
As for the HUD, you are right .. it's only available on the GXP or it WOULD be in my car. I have a Corvette C5 with a HUD and I hate driving all of my other cars without it. I just couldn't swing the extra bucks for the GXP just for the HUD.
Nice car. My only complaint so far is the INCREDIBLY wide turning radius. I can't even turn around my culdesac without a K-turn. I'm no mechanic so I don't know the tech reason they made the radius so wide but I sure hope it was because of a technical challenge and not because someone stopped thinking.
#152849 - 12/22/05 09:24 PM Re: Took Delivery of 2006 GP GT Today
GT2owner Offline
Loc: Indiana
My 04 GT2 has a HUD and its not a GXP. I agree, at first when I test drove it I thought it would be distracting, but in actuality it is anything but. You hardly know its there unless you want the info and look at it. I don't know what I'd do without it now.
#152850 - 12/23/05 03:26 AM Re: Took Delivery of 2006 GP GT Today
Cliff Cherry Offline
Loc: Caldwell, NJ
The HUD was available on the GT & GTP in 04 & 05, but for 06 it's only on the GXP. I read somewhere a while back that Bob Lutz (Pontiac's head cheese, who took over in 2002 or so) thinks of the HUD as a gimmick only. The 06 availability seems to confirm that. I think he's making a serious mistake.

Just checkin' in periodically :-D
#152851 - 12/28/05 05:34 PM Re: Took Delivery of 2006 GP GT Today
iteachflyin Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Cherry:
The HUD was available on the GT & GTP in 04 & 05, but for 06 it's only on the GXP. I read somewhere a while back that Bob Lutz (Pontiac's head cheese, who took over in 2002 or so) thinks of the HUD as a gimmick only. The 06 availability seems to confirm that. I think he's making a serious mistake.
I'm really sorry they took it away because it's NOT a gimmick at all. I think it's such a great safety device that I can't believe it's not mandated in EVERY car. Once enough people start using one, they will insist on one and eventually it will become a standard in all cars. LOVE the thing and miss it in my GT. But otherwise, these are really nice machines. Of course, I'm still looking forward to April to get my Vette out!
#152852 - 02/06/06 12:13 PM Re: Took Delivery of 2006 GP GT Today
agreedy1 Offline
Loc: Nassau County Long Island
they kept onstar and xm though...guess they like getting montly fees(i'm sure they ahve some deal with xm)

my 00' now rides like crap...the dealer wont change the struts under my ext. warr b/c thye say they still work...

I want an 06 GP GT...but my wife doesn't weant another pontiac b/c dealer service stinks.
#152853 - 02/06/06 09:27 PM Re: Took Delivery of 2006 GP GT Today
ILikeMyGP Offline
Loc: Michigan
must be just your dealer. for me we have great work very high quality work done. they also know us very well there smile i think its 6 or 7 vehicles from them total now smile

as a side note does anyone know if the HUD can be added after market easily, added by dealer, or not at all on a 04 gt?