Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#153130 - 10/15/04 12:57 PM Hot smell?
BadDog Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
When my 16 year old son totaled my wife's Supercharged Bonne, we replaced it with a GTP Comp-G. It's been satisfactory (once she got over loosing the Bonne and it's luxury) until recently. After driving a few mile it smells like I've had it on a road course and gotten the brakes hotter than regions far south where I'm told bad people go. At first I thought she was hot-dogging it more than expected, then I drove it around running some errands, stop-n-go, not pushing it at all, and noticed the same thing. I also noticed (and she confirmed) a periodic sort of "grinding" as though the rotors had gotten a little rusty though they have not. This often happens while turning without brakes applied.

It also seems to eliminate the problem when the "traction control" is turned off. I'm guessing this system works with the antilock brakes to control wheel spin so that sounds suspicious.

It's at the dealership now getting a look over but I wanted to find out if anyone has any knowledge on this. I don't trust most service techs and I don't know anyone at this dealer. IMO, dealers treat them like garbage and tend to generate bad attitudes and "rushing", so I like to have a good idea what's going on when something like this happens.

Any other "service bulletins" I should "remind" them of while they are at it?
#153131 - 10/25/04 09:33 PM Re: Hot smell?
midlifecrisis Offline
Loc: new jersey
That doesn't sound good. Only thing I can think of is maybe a frozen caliper?
#153132 - 10/25/04 09:37 PM Re: Hot smell?
4 T 8 states Offline
Loc: winter park,fl
pinched brakeline,boiling brake fluid....??
bearcat bct-7 law enforment/weatherband scanner
#153133 - 10/29/04 10:33 PM Re: Hot smell?
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
Quote:
Originally posted by 4 T 8 states:
pinched brakeline,boiling brake fluid....??
Quote:
Originally posted by midlifecrisis:
That doesn't sound good. Only thing I can think of is maybe a frozen caliper?
Highly doubtful either. He said it does not occur when he turns traction control off. So my guess is if he is stopping the problem via an electronic TCS. He has a sensor or something bad that is detecting wheel spin and it is applying breaks. Probably have to get new hubs up front. Let me know how close I am on this.