Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#153140 - 01/06/08 12:45 PM check gas cap?
Rebecca Offline
Loc: southwest Michigan
Yes, it's there. And it's screwed in.

Why does this message keep popping up on my info center when I'm driving? It happened yesterday, so I pulled over in a parking lot and checked to make sure the cap was screwed in place. It was, so I restarted the car and pushed the reset button to turn the message off. Then this morning on the way to church it came on again, and I jabbed the reset button and continued driving.

I have maybe 1/4 of a tank remaining, or an estimated 130 miles 'til empty.

What is the deal!?
#153141 - 01/07/08 01:02 PM Re: check gas cap?
Gumby1800 Offline
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Rebecca,

When you remove the gas cap to fill up, do you hear a whoosh of air entering the tank? On most vehicles the cap should seal realtively tight. If it is cracked or damaged it may not seal well which could trigger the sensor.

When you tighten the cap do you hear the ratchet click several times? This is necessary to make sure that it is sealing properly.

Has the car had any accident damage? Could there be a leak in the filler tube or the top of the tank? Any of these issues could cause air to enter the tank and trigger the sensor.
#153142 - 01/07/08 04:51 PM Re: check gas cap?
Rebecca Offline
Loc: southwest Michigan
The service guy said it was some sort of vent valve that had to do with the gas tank, which they replaced as long as I had the car there anyway. It wasn't that much on top of what they were doing to fix the secondary air injection system (so I can use the factory remote start). Makes more sense to pay to have it fixed while it's there anyway. I actually take my car to the Pontiac dealer one town away, because the Pontiac dealer here in town will rip you off anytime they can. So it's kind of a pain in the neck to get it serviced, because their hours don't work nicely with when I have to be at work, so I have to drop it off the night before and then have somebody take me there the next day when it's done. Pffft.
#153143 - 01/13/08 05:56 PM Re: check gas cap?
Bill_05_GTP Comp G Offline
Loc: Mississauga, Ontario
Hi Rebecca....Not sure if you got this fixed or not. I had the same problem. The DIC indicator comes on with this msg when a number of things that could be the problem. Gas Cap, EVAP Cannister Purge Valve, EVAP Cannister Vent Solinoid, vacuum lines, Gas tank sensor, etc., etc. It's all linked in to ensuring that the gas tank vapours don't escape into the enviroment. They're stored in the EVAP Cannister (charcoal filter).

I frigged around with the gas cap as well. Thought is was the EVAP purge valve (easier to get to than the vent solinoid). I psuhed the vacuum tube snuggly into the purge valve and tightened the screw cap that's on the tube connecting to it. So far so good smile smile

I was going to change the EVAP Purge valve 1st if I didn't resolve it this way (easiest to get to and replace)

Oh yeah, I was getting DTC P0455. Did you have your car scanned?