Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#153530 - 05/20/05 08:51 AM Re: '05 and '06 GTO
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by why2kmax:
Where it stands now from everything Ive read, the GTO is dead after 06 or "on hiatus" unless they revive Zeta for North America OR import more holdens.

Zeta is NOT cancelled in australia or Europe and will underpin the next gen Holdens there but for NA its on hold. That includes plans for just about everything they were coming out with too, G8, RWD Monte and Impala, GTO, Camaro etc etc.

Camaro MAY see the light of day regardless considering the sucess of the 05 Mustang.

Tastybake, you have GOT to be kidding when you say the 05 Mustang felt less cheap than the 05 GTO.

Ive driven both the 05 GT and 04 GTO and the mustang interior cant hold a candle to the GTO for quality and fit/finish. Least not to teh 2 stang GTs I drove.
I haven't test drove the Mustang. Just sat in it.

The GTO had a lot of thick rubber. Simplistic, which was intentional. Seats were fantastic. I just sat in it and said “Would I pay $30k+ for this interior? Naw…”

The Mustang's interior's rubber was thinner but the overall design was more complex. Even though it looked exactly like an upgraded Focus interior, I'd prefer it over the GTO. I only like the satin aluminum finish version. I wouldn’t go for the plain.

I’m not into luxury features and both had what I needed. I felt I was getting more for my money with the Mustang with the brushed aluminum interior.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#153531 - 05/20/05 09:00 AM Re: '05 and '06 GTO
TastyBake Offline
Overall, I would get a Mustang over an 04 GTO.
But I like the 05 GTO's hood so I would get an 05 that over the Mustang. Even if it is a cobra.

I could always put a S/C on the 05 GTO and rule the world.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#153532 - 05/24/05 09:56 PM Re: '05 and '06 GTO
Jizz Offline
Loc: Central Maryland
I have heads/Headers and a cam on my 04 (with th eplain jane hood) and 99% of the cars I encounter cannot even keep up to the next red light - let alon any further. And this is all before my stall converter. After that I will 0-60 with the elite of the group.

As for the brushed aluminum feel -- and your quote "I felt I was getting more for my money with the Mustang with the brushed aluminum interior."

Notice the key workds in that sentence "feel,felt" Ford does it again...you feel like you are getting more - although you are getting less. It is a shame.
#153533 - 05/27/05 03:15 PM Re: '05 and '06 GTO
Ls1smlblck Offline
Loc: Jax, FL
Around here it's hard to get a GTO at MSRP. Most if not all dealers here hike up the price to high 30's low 40's.

I'd like to see the 07 GTO, IMO the current GTO has no style, the styling doesn't says "hey this is a GTO!"

Ford has designed the 05 Stang very well. You look at , and you know it's a stang. Plus the price is right!
#153534 - 05/27/05 03:27 PM Re: '05 and '06 GTO
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
I like the way the new GTO looks, especially with the scoops on the front hood. Honestly, I can look at a GTO and know it's a GTO. I'd rather not have them go wild with it; who knows what they'd do. *shudder*
#153535 - 05/29/05 11:49 PM Re: '05 and '06 GTO
JPGTP Offline
Loc: Colorado Springs
did u guys look under the hood of the 05 gto. The ram air hood isnt functional........bumbed me out until i drove it.......
#153536 - 06/01/05 08:50 AM Re: '05 and '06 GTO
TastyBake Offline
I saw it this weekend. Yea, the hood intakes are closed off. When you looked underneath, could you see the hood becoming functional with a sawzall?

Haven’t seen manufactures use functional hoods. The only one that comes to mind is the Subaru WRX.

[GONE]
#153537 - 06/01/05 12:28 PM Re: '05 and '06 GTO
Jizz Offline
It is not and was never displayed as a "ram-air" hood.

The scoops on the 2005 GTO are baffled intakes to let in cold air to the engine compartment only.

No it is not "ram-air" but cold air in the engine bay good.
#153538 - 06/01/05 12:43 PM Re: '05 and '06 GTO
TastyBake Offline
Those are actually baffle intakes? So they are "functional" and not closed off? This is good to hear.

The Ram Air effect wouldn't help much anyway. I'm sure someone could convert these to Ram Air if they really wanted to.

[GONE]
#153539 - 06/01/05 12:50 PM Re: '05 and '06 GTO
TastyBake Offline
On the subject of future GTO models:
Just found out something:

http://www.cars.com/go/news/Story.jsp?se...r=&aff=national

Note the text:
Weakening sales for GM's aging truck lineup, including its most profitable models, were a major reason why GM posted a $1.1 billion loss in the first quarter, its worst result since 1992.

News groups reported this is why they stopped with the new GTO platform and focused research towards a new truck.

Good move as I'd rather see the company grow. This will prove to be beneficial as this can turn into a "get'em while you can!" and GTO owners can laugh and point at the people who procrastinated. It will eventually come back.

[GONE]
#153540 - 06/02/05 03:04 PM Re: '05 and '06 GTO
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
awww crap.
now i'll never be able to afford one
#153541 - 06/02/05 03:37 PM Re: '05 and '06 GTO
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
You can, if you have 30K with the GM employee rate.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#153542 - 06/16/05 02:23 AM Re: '05 and '06 GTO
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
sounds like $2 a gallon gas is finally sounding the death of the full-size SUV...maybe all these people who were buying them as a fashion statement will have to use some of their big bucks to eat the loss in value...I'd almost laugh if it werent so sad...this countrys' dependency on foreign oil is not yesterdays news...they way manufacturers have catered to this greedy market for these vehicles has been ridiculous from the start...when companies like Porsche and BMW start building SUVs just for this market (nobody else in the world wants them, for both size and economy)...I even saw a pic of a proposed SUv from Bentley for cryin out loud...it is very regrettable that the factory workers have to take it on the chin for GM being so short sighted...its gonna be like the late 79s all over again...gas prices shot up and every full size luxo barge of a car hit the used car lots and werent worth a plug nickel...nobody wanted the "gas hogs"...which is how the foreign carmakers got a foothold here by offering cars that were more cost and economy oriented...they proved you could have performance and not break the bank...the domestic makers have proven they can do it as well...but everything always gets put on the back burner here for the sake of the trucks.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#153543 - 06/21/05 08:00 PM Re: '05 and '06 GTO
Jizz Offline
A Bentley SUV? - I thought the cars where as big as SUVs already smile
#153544 - 06/27/05 08:47 PM Re: '05 and '06 GTO
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I went poking around the local pontiac dealer yesterday (Sundays are cool for that) and I smoked over a new GTO...I have to admit the car is much more impressive up close than it was at the show (it was crawling with people there)...the hood scoops and the dual exit exhausts add some machismo for sure as do the covered fog lamps (nice touch)...but the azz end still says "cavalier" to me and I'm really not sure what small touch might change that...and one other item I miss on musclecars...whatever happened to deep dish wheels?...the Goat had some hefty meats on it no doubt...but a little wheel flare and about an inch of offset would make it look nasty...I also saw a magazine article which showed the GT race prepped version of the Goat...it seems Mr Lutz is going after BMW on the track as well as the showroom. (and the lowriding, wide tired race Goat looked all business)

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2