Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#153870 - 11/22/04 08:04 PM autoweek article on the 05 gto
why2kmax Offline
Loc: Bel Air Maryland
Funny how they say dealers complained the 04 was overpriced yet every one of them tacked on $3,000-$5,000 on top of MSRP. DEALERS killed sales of this car, not the car.

Autoweek 11/22: "Struggling Goat: Pontiac cuts output for limping GTO.
PHOENIX -- After a year of disappointing sales, Pontiac is scaling back production of the 2005 Pontiac GTO, which was touted as a halo car for the brand.

Pontiac will cut GTO production by about 30 percent next year, from its 2004 target of 1,300 to 1,500 units a month to 1,000 a month in 2005.

Larry Pryg, marketing manager for Pontiac's premium mid-sized cars, admitted Pontiac did not conduct enough initial market research on the GTO, misallocated inventory and missed its initial estimate.

"We will adjust production levels, and 12,000 units a year seems right for this vehicle," Pryg said at a press event here.

Through October, Pontiac sold 9,487 GTOs in the United States. Pontiac is offering a $3,500 national cash rebate on 2004 models.

Earlier, dealers had complained that the GTO suffered from bland styling and a high sticker price, and lacked incentives.

Adjusting allocation

Pontiac said imprudent allocation to dealerships was a bigger factor in the slow start. Pontiac overloaded its inventory in the U.S. north-central region, allocating 40 percent of the rear-wheel-drive GTO's initial production to those states in the middle of winter, when the handling problems of rear-drive vehicles in snow are most apparent.

"We wanted to reward those dealers," Pryg said, "but we couldn't neglect the other parts of the country, such as the West Coast, where we didn't have enough in our 30-day supply."

Pryg said 30 percent of 2005 GTO inventory will be allocated to the north-central region. The rest will be dispersed across the country.

This month some dealers still were receiving 2004 GTOs. GM has promised its dealers that production on the 2005 GTO would finish three months earlier than last year.

As for issues of styling and price, Pontiac hopes a stable price and a larger engine will attract more buyers.

The 2005 GTO gets a new engine, the LS2 6.0-liter V-8 with 400 hp. The previous engine pumped out 350 hp. To the relief of traditionalists, an optional hood scoop has been added, along with dual exhaust.

Duane Earl, sales manager at Sawyers Pontiac in East Lansing, Mich., says early criticisms of the GTOs were unfounded.

"There was a lot of bad press about it not looking like the old GTOs of the 1960s and '70s, but that's not what it was supposed to be about," says Earl, who sold 22 GTOs last year and has one order for the new model. "I think now that it is out there and people know what it's about, it will be welcomed."

Next-generation GTO

GM has hinted that the next-generation GTO, scheduled to appear on the Zeta rear-drive architecture for the 2007 or 2008 model year, will be a large departure from the current model.

Pontiac hopes to position the GTO as its version of the Chevrolet Corvette - an aspirational vehicle that is the "soul of the brand," says Pontiac spokesman Jim Hopson.

Pryg said: "There is a real desire to make it striking. "We will start from scratch with something for U.S. tastes. We are going to stretch, but there will only be a few retro cues."

Pryg said that there may be an opportunity for more volume in the next model, "but that's not the first word out of our mouths right now."
#153871 - 11/23/04 02:20 PM Re: autoweek article on the 05 gto
Jizz Offline
Loc: Central Maryland
Pryg said: "There is a real desire to make it striking. "We will start from scratch with something for U.S. tastes. We are going to stretch, but there will only be a few retro cues."

I hope this is true..I am not much for retro.
#153872 - 11/24/04 06:51 PM Re: autoweek article on the 05 gto
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
Retro sucks. The mustang is almost there but not quite.
#153873 - 12/19/04 05:35 PM Re: autoweek article on the 05 gto
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
Sales weren't good because of the styling. The Muscle car trend is high but not that high.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#153874 - 12/20/04 06:51 PM Re: autoweek article on the 05 gto
Bryan R Offline
Loc: Portland
Pontiac lost my interest when I was car shopping last year because of a lack of content. No sunroof, no dual-zone climate, no 5 speed automatic (4AT has gas guzzler tax), no HUD, no option for Navi, etc. I most likely would've bought that car in a hear-beat if it at least had a sunroof and dual-zone climate control.
#153875 - 12/20/04 11:26 PM Re: autoweek article on the 05 gto
zachd Offline
You only need a sunroof and dual zone climate when you have an un entertaining car. Gotta have something to keep you entertained right? The gto has 350 horse and now 400 horse.
#153876 - 12/21/04 12:30 AM Re: autoweek article on the 05 gto
Bryan R Offline
Loc: Portland
Yes, but local dealers here wanted almost 40 grand for the car at the time. For that much money, it better have at least a sunroof and dual-zone climate. Even my GTP has those things. Heck, at the time, I probably would've settled for an aero-package of somekind, if it at least included a better looking tire/wheel combo.

I fell in love with the car, in my magazines, but I was so underwhelmed when I saw it at an auto-show. Sure it's all-inspiring when you drive it, but I like to be inspired when I look at it too cool
#153877 - 12/21/04 10:11 PM Re: autoweek article on the 05 gto
zachd Offline
Everyone has there opinions right? Hell driving a GTP I think is pretty damn inspiring. But not to everyone and to some people they dont like the looks of it. TO each his own.
#153878 - 12/22/04 08:45 AM Re: autoweek article on the 05 gto
Jizz Offline
Loc: Central Maryland
I am inspired every morning when I walk into my garage and hit the open button on the garage door. I walk around the Torrid Goat, smiling ear to ear....then I get in turn the key and VROOOOMMM!! off to work.

I do not need a stinking sunroof, nav or dual zone climate...

I got 10 speakers, 364HP, whole lot of torque and 2 windows! That is all the inspiration I need.
#153879 - 12/22/04 04:36 PM Re: autoweek article on the 05 gto
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by TastyBake:
Sales weren't good because of the styling. The Muscle car trend is high but not that high.
You say styling killed it? How bland is this styling

1964 GTO

Can you see the difference in styling compared to the 64 Tempest?

Sales are bad because it is a niche car slapped with an awful price tag. A loaded out Mustang GT MSRPs for 28k and a GTO MSRPs for 33k That's the problem right there.
#153880 - 12/28/04 08:03 PM Re: autoweek article on the 05 gto
jvojr Offline
Loc: Catskills, NY
I would trade this little guy for an 05.

Traded in. 2003 GTP. Every option but HUD. New Mods: Wizaired CAI, SLP Headers, Cat, U-bend and Downpipe, 3.2 Modular Pulley, Phase 3 rollers w/OR Pushrods, Larger Belt Tensioner Pulley, Gatorback, AL103's, 180 Degree Stat, DHP
#153881 - 01/05/05 02:22 AM Re: autoweek article on the 05 gto
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
04 GTO has more power than the 05 Mustang.
33k is very cheap for 350 HP when compared to less powerful/more expensive cars such as the GXP.

In the 60's, the GTO's bland simple styling with a huge engine under the hood is what added to the appeal.
Now, noone wants a 350 HP phone company car with no options.

BTW: No Dual AC or Sunroof???
Waaaa, Waaaa, Waaaa!!!!
Get a sunroof from the aftermarket. Sure the value would drop, but hey.

Oh and the GTO does have traction control (thank goodness).

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.