Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#154039 - 01/06/10 01:50 PM Close Call Last Night
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
I was in this:
http://www.wilx.com/home/headlines/80763562.html

We were leaving for the airport in our rental car (Toyota Avalon). About 200 yards on the highway the car in front of me in the right lane started braking so I slowed down too. We came to the bridge and saw a car stopped in the left lane with hazard lights on. We came to a dead stop (anti lock brakes kicked in) and I realized it was across both lanes.

Just then a pickup truck came FLYING down the left lane about 45-55mph with wheels locked up and just NAILED the car with the hazzards on. That's when I realized just how slick it was.

By then, the car in front of me had gone around the two car wreck (on the shoulder of the bridge). I looked in my rear view mirror and noticed the pickup in my mirror was slowing down, but not fast enough.

I told my pregnant wife and 2 year old to "hang on" and I gunned it. Probably the scariest wreck of my life because of how slow it was all happening, but as we went through the wreck on the shoulder, we could just hear wrecks all around us. When I moved, the pickup behind me crashed into the car in the right lane from the original accident....

Long story short...highway was closed for 2 hours, the unofficial tally was 26 cars wrecked or in the ditch. Only me and the car in front of us made it through untouched.

There was a car in the ditch further up the road. I pulled down my window to see if they were ok, but as I tried to stop, we slid right past them! Luckily they were on the phone and we had already dialed 911 ourselves.

We went another half mile to 127 and turned around and went back to my moms. Had to reschedule our flights, hotels, and rental cars but at least my pregnant wife, daughter and I were safe.
#154040 - 01/06/10 02:33 PM Re: Close Call Last Night
BoostenGTP Offline
Loc: Michigan
That was in Lansing? Wow im suprised i didnt hear about that. I was just in lansing.
#154041 - 01/06/10 04:19 PM Re: Close Call Last Night
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Thats good that you was safe and your family.
#154042 - 01/06/10 06:40 PM Re: Close Call Last Night
Richard Candelario Offline
big relief! glad to hear that you and your girls wound up unscathed. I dont think you should go gamble for about 10 years. you just used up all of your good luck!

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#154043 - 01/07/10 01:55 AM Re: Close Call Last Night
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
Glad to hear y'all are ok. Awesome thinking, glad you managed to get you and yours out of harm's way.
#154044 - 01/07/10 06:58 PM Re: Close Call Last Night
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
WOW, glad to hear you all are okay! I wouldn't know what to do, never driving in icey or snowy conditions...
#154045 - 01/08/10 12:21 AM Re: Close Call Last Night
UMfan Offline
Yeah it was in lansing. There was an article in the State Journal newspaper this morning about it. official tally was 40 cars in accidents that night.

Made it home safe and sound (to Oregon) a few hours ago after 14 hours of travel. Good to be home.
#154046 - 01/08/10 12:11 PM Re: Close Call Last Night
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Glad you guys are all safe and sound, man. That's some crazy stuff.
#154047 - 01/09/10 12:00 PM Re: Close Call Last Night
20gtp02 Offline
U have the burgundy gp? I c no pics.
But if I recall correctly your car paid its dues to a wreck.
Glad you got away safely.

#154048 - 01/09/10 01:09 PM Re: Close Call Last Night
UMfan Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by 20gtp02:
U have the burgundy gp? I c no pics.
But if I recall correctly your car paid its dues to a wreck.
Glad you got away safely.
Yeah I have a redfire metallic GTP. But I was driving a rental through this wreck.

My GTP did get tagged pretty well 2 years back. I've only been in 3 wrecks...all 3 times people rear ended me. I consider myself a pretty good driver. yeah, I go 5-10 over usually but I do it in a smart way. I've never been ticketed, never even been pulled over. And like I said, every accident I've been in has been some idiot behind me not paying attention.

So that's why after I stopped my rental in this wreck, the first thing I did was look at my rear view mirror and watch to see what was going on behind me. I have full confidence in my abilities to drive, it's the idiots around me that scare me. crazy
#154049 - 01/09/10 02:52 PM Re: Close Call Last Night
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
I totally agree with that post, UMfan. Other than never getting pulled over...and I put my car in the ditch once...but that was a month after I got it. I was stupid back then. The only wreck I've been in was someone rear ending me, and that was back when I just had my permit, in my mom's explorer. I always keep an eye on my mirrors because I like to know what the people around me are doing. Your story is a prime reason as to why. wink thumbsup
#154050 - 01/10/10 02:58 AM Re: Close Call Last Night
GTPCompG Offline
Loc: Ames, Iowa
I'm glad your all ok. Was it the bridge that was iced over the worst? Gotta hate bridges and ice...

Inferno Package/CAI/180tstat/3" DP/AL 104 XP's/3.8 MPS/Tuned
#154051 - 01/10/10 12:27 PM Re: Close Call Last Night
UMfan Offline
The bridge was iced over and it's where the accident was, but after we went down the bridge I went to help that car and they were on a perfectly flat area of the highway and I still skidded right by.

When we finally got off the highway to the surface street, I slide down the exit ramp too. It was just the ENTIRE highway that was a sheet of ice, and they didn't get the salt trucks out in time. There was a quote in the paper from the head of the state police that said his troopers couldn't even stand on the road outside their cars without slipping.
#154052 - 01/24/10 07:09 AM Re: Close Call Last Night
codyAK Offline
Loc: Eagle River, AK
Wow man good thing you are alright!

It can get pretty nasty here sometimes, see some crazy things happen.. The other day I saw a coke semi jackknife and run off the road