Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#154463 - 07/13/07 05:11 PM Race by accident
D Bold Offline
Loc: Warwick, RI
So on the day that i bought my grand prix which was july 5th, 07...I was headed to the local Advanced Auto Parts to pick up the parts for my leaking/slipping transmission. I'm sitting at a red light about a mile away from the store when a kid in a ford f-150 pulls up next to me. Now at every launch i can either grandma the car and barely get to 10 mph or floor and let the tires peel out a lil before the traction control kicks in. So of course I floor it so I can get up to speed. The kid in the truck sees it as a race. With my tranny slipping I was able to barely edge him out until I had to apply my brakes and pull into the parking lot. Tho I peeled out everytime the car abruptly shifted and it was dangerous for the tranny, this put a smile on my face because it told me that ok if this car was in better running shape (tranny fixed and oil change) I would've owned him. But anyway just thought I'd tell you guys that because I forgot to. Have A Good one thumbsup
#154464 - 07/13/07 06:20 PM Re: Race by accident
The Fridge Offline
Loc: Green Bay Wisconsin
lol, beat er till she breaks eh? way to go. Thats how you drive your car. Trannies just about gone and still kickin some ford butt.

CAI, 180deg thermostat

If Your Drinking A Coke Please PM Me The Code Eh?
#154465 - 07/13/07 11:33 PM Re: Race by accident
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
So your tranny was slipping but now it's fixed? Did you get it rebuilt?

'97 SE with alot of mods
#154466 - 07/14/07 09:28 AM Re: Race by accident
D Bold Offline
yea my mechanic happens to be my friend so things are a little cheaper lol big GM guy has alot of pro street cars...he has like 3 or 4 old camaros a really nice vette chevelles you name it. He bought an old mustang off this guy so he and his son could rebuild it, son said why did you buy a mustang i hate them I want a camaro. lol So needless to say he built it up a lil by himself and sold that too...but yea tranny is all fixed up running fine. Quick car but I still take it easy, I just like to open up when I merge onto the highway.
#154467 - 07/14/07 11:48 PM Re: Race by accident
20gtp02 Offline
When the traction control kicks in, that is hurting your tranny. I usually turn mine off, big habit each time I get in the car. With it off it won't pose a big threat on the tranny the way you drive compared to having it on.

#154468 - 07/16/07 06:12 PM Re: Race by accident
Baby Grand Offline
Loc: Edmonton, AB
The traction control hurts the tranny? I didn't know that. I know I have to turn it off in the snow, or I'm stuck. What is the purpose of it?
#154469 - 07/16/07 06:42 PM Re: Race by accident
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
Traction control won't hurt the tranny unless you're burning/peeling out from a dead stop, and even then it's not really the traction control. It's the fact that you're beating on the tranny, giving it all that power all at once. Even with TCS off, you'll only get one wheel to spin, and it'll all have the same negative effect.

TCS will also hurt a GTP more than GT because of the intrusive torque management, iirc, which will result in a little increase in KR, but only down lower when you give it all the gas.
#154470 - 07/16/07 06:56 PM Re: Race by accident
20gtp02 Offline
THat's what I was trying to justify.

#154471 - 07/16/07 09:37 PM Re: Race by accident
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Sorry to burst this bubble, but if you're driving hard enough to worry about whether TCS is on or off, you're killing your tranny.... wink
Either way, you're putting excessive strain on the tranny.
I do have this to say. With TCS on, if the tires break loose the ignition drops and you lose power. With this being said it's quite possible that having TCS on is easier on the tranny. Yes, the ABS is incorporated into the TCS, but the fact that power is cut at the crank makes for less stress on the input shaft to the tranny.
Disclaimer:
This is purely my own speculation drawn from my own conclusions having some knowledge of how the TCS works. I have read nothing that proves anything, so if you have an argument, please educate me.

http://pdxcgp.com
#154472 - 07/16/07 10:17 PM Re: Race by accident
D Bold Offline
no argument here...i had my tcs on, no wheel spin, wasn't trying to beat on but in this case i had to...a slight uphill climb. gotta do what you gotta do. but like i said she runs beautifully now