Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#154611 - 05/15/06 03:46 AM Idleing problem
NMPatronis Offline
Loc: Charlotte NC.
Hey guys I had a quick question for any of you guys that have dealt with a Chevy 350. I have a 1990 Caprice (police edition) that stalls when it is hot (like when you parallel park, put it in Rsv it dies, turn the wheel at standstill it dies etc.) When it is cold it is fine which makes me think it is possable a VAC or electrical problem. Let me know if you have any thoughts on where to start.

Thanks
Nick
#154612 - 05/15/06 05:37 AM Re: Idleing problem
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
I'd start with the vacuum lines.
#154613 - 05/15/06 11:05 PM Re: Idleing problem
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
i've built a high performance 350 for a 91 comprice got ALOT of ponies out of her! (350 alum block, COMP CAM High performance cam, edelbrock heads/intake, i built a custom K&N intake, speed pro pistons, COMP CAMS roller rockers, alum Griffin RAD with Dual electric fans, i built from the ground up, made a nice project car :-D)That problem, check the air temp sensor that located in the air intake, check vacum lines, and check the MAF sensor (built into the TBI) also if the check engin light is on, you can read the code my jumping two wires in the ODBI harness....

The codes are not as specific as ODBII, but they will head you in the right direction...
==============================
This procedure only works on OBDI vehicles up to '95. Do NOT try this procedure on a 96 or newer vehicle!!

You want to jumper pins A and B. That should be the two upper right pins as you look at the plug.

1. With power off, jumper pin A to pin B

2. Turn the ignition to ON but DO NOT start the vehicle.

3. The Service Engine Soon (SES) light should flash code 12 (1 flash, pause, 2 quick flashes)

4. After a longer pause, code 12 should repeat two more times.

5. If there are any codes stored in the ECM they will follow Code 12.

6. If no other codes have been stored then Code 12 will continue to repeat until the jumper is disconnected.
#154614 - 05/18/06 06:06 PM Re: Idleing problem
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Or head down to the local AutoZone and see if they have any free keys for reading the codes. We keep a box of them at work and give them away. It's just a key with two prongs that you can keep on your key chain and use it to short out the connectors to read codes. Also, some vehicles store codes and do not set off the check engine light. AutoZone can usually look up the codes in the system as well, and print out a checklist related to that code to help you systematically troubleshoot it.
#154615 - 05/19/06 12:48 PM Re: Idleing problem
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I wasnt sure if autozone still had those keys, lol, i have one of those from my old car that i got from autozone