Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#155905 - 05/05/05 03:56 PM what to do...
wishitwasaGTP Offline
Loc: Long Beach,MS
I have a chance to get a 99 GTP w/ 85k on it for $8950. I have a 03 SE(still paying on) w/ 52k. My problem is should I trade down for a GTP or just keep the 03 SE? Im not sure if I like the idea of trading an 03 for a 99. I know Id like having a GTP instead of a SE, but would it be a good move. Ive just looked at the car havent drove it or anything cause I know if I do Ill drive it home. What would you guys do???
#155906 - 05/05/05 04:16 PM Re: what to do...
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Look at how much you have to still pay. Is it worth to you? Your wallet?

I how you feel about wanting a GTP.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#155907 - 05/05/05 04:17 PM Re: what to do...
Alex Offline
Loc: Mexico City
take a good mechanic to check everything on the GTP, if it is fine, then trade it, and change your nick to wishthisGTPisok.

----------------------------------
My GP went away after more than 5 years of nice driving, good trips all along mexican territory, some mods, stories and headaches, I'm gonna miss it!
----------------------------------
#155908 - 05/05/05 04:19 PM Re: what to do...
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
I love my GTP. I think a well cared for 99 GTP is still a good, solid car.

as far as miles/year, the 99 GTP has even fewer miles than your 03 SE....
#155909 - 05/05/05 04:29 PM Re: what to do...
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by UMfan:
I love my GTP. I think a well cared for 99 GTP is still a good, solid car.

as far as miles/year, the 99 GTP has even fewer miles than your 03 SE....
I agree. The 99 model year allowed Pontiac the time to correct the things they did wrong in 97-98, though I personally think 01 was their best year. laugh

I'm no expert car buyer, though. And you should test drive it! Just resist the force.

And maybe you won't have to worry about trading down so much .. If you're worried about having 85k miles on all those parts, there is proof that sometimes GM does crank out a reputable system. We all know the 97 year model had the most problems, but it's all luck of the draw with GPs, and I've never had a single problem other than the alternator going bad. It has a lifetime warranty now. :p

Same tranny, too! lol Odds are, if you drive like a normal person, you'll be fine!
#155910 - 05/05/05 04:44 PM Re: what to do...
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
And, look at it this way... if it's got 85k miles on it, that's about the time some parts need to be replaced. This gives you a great opportunity to start modding. ;o)

Guess what I'm saying is go for it if you can handle the $$ and it test drives good.

PS- Arcxnus, the '02 GTP was is/was the best by far. laugh
#155911 - 05/05/05 04:48 PM Re: what to do...
wishitwasaGTP Offline
Im not so worried about the mileage. Its pretty much right where it should be. I dont drive like a maniac I take care of my cars really well.
#155912 - 05/05/05 04:51 PM Re: what to do...
Arcxnus Offline
Go out and drive it, man! What're you doing here! Go, go!

Quote:
Naaah, those 97 GTs could whallop you GTPs. *runs* lol
#155913 - 05/05/05 05:36 PM Re: what to do...
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Nah, '00 is the best. That's when all the nice changes came in and the GP reached its zenith.

wishitwasaGTP, if you want the hp and modding potential, go for it. Just have it checked out before hand to make sure it wasn't abused. The 3800s are practically bulletproof and are good for over 200k miles. The only thing I'd be worried about is the tranny.
#155914 - 05/05/05 06:02 PM Re: what to do...
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Too much money.
#155915 - 05/05/05 06:06 PM Re: what to do...
Canadian GTP Offline
Loc: Edmonton Alberta
Quote:
thumbsup

Intense PCM, 3.5" Pulley, SLP C.A.I, 3" D/P, Flipped FSB, U-Bend Delete, Flowmaster 50 Series, Autolite 605's, Drilled 180 Thermo, Falken FK-451's (245/45ZR18), Motegi FF7 Hyper Black 18x7.5, SS Grills, Tint & Overlays here and there.
#155916 - 05/05/05 06:36 PM Re: what to do...
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
99's are the best!
...and you won't be trading down if you trade an SE for a GTP, that's a trade up!
GTP's are soo much nicer than SE's. I'd get on Edmonuds.com, or KBB.com and see what it's worth. If it's within reason, get a buyers check done on it and if the mech clears it, I'd say do it. A GTP is better modded than an SE.

Did I also mention that 99's ARE THE BEST!!!

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#155917 - 05/05/05 07:24 PM Re: what to do...
DoberManJT Offline
Loc: North Carolina - Raleigh/Cary
Just to throw this out there... would it be sensible to consider the cost of the GTP will exceed the cost of an L67 swap? A swapped motor vs a whole different car leaves less "unknowns" about where the car has been and what has or hasn't been done to it. Not to mention no increase in insurance.

However, I'll be honest that there are problems with engine swaps that can arise if something goes wrong with the swap-out, or if you get a lemon engine. Just trying to say that if the cost of the GTP is greater than the cost of an engine/tranny swap it is something to consider. But, then again, the swap does require all the cost at once vs. making payments.

Really, it's your call wishitwas - just make sure you don't dig into a money pit just for the extra horses. I've been where you are, and passed on a few chances to trade out for a GTP because I've changed my agenda to keep the SE running good for as long as possible and devote the money that currently goes to a monthly payment to save up for... something, probably a GTO in about two years.

edit: and I've read a few places that 2000 was considered the technical highpoint of this generation of GPs

04 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, LPE intake system, headers, dyno tune from "RPM"

http://photobucket.com/albums/v221/Dobermanjt/GrandPrix/
#155918 - 05/06/05 01:46 AM Re: what to do...
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
if I could pull it off and I wanted the nicer car I think I would go for it...I wrestled with this decision before I bought my car but I feel like the only thing I missed is the L67 engine. My GT is already a pretty nicely equipped car and the L36 has decent punch and huge potential...I personally ruled out buying an SE based simply on the fact of all the equipment it didnt have (no offense)...as I always try to say, to each his own...youre the one who has to pay the tab and live with the decision...but if it were me and I wanted the nicer optioned car I wouldnt worry to much about trading down...if I'm getting a better car I wanted, used model years dont mean much to me.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#155919 - 05/06/05 09:10 AM Re: what to do...
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
I wouldn't consider this trading down unless the GTP was in bad shape.
#155920 - 05/06/05 09:12 AM Re: what to do...
wishitwasaGTP Offline
Well as far as my SE goes the only thing its missing to me is an L67. The car is also been sold. mad So I guess it wasnt ment to be.
#155921 - 05/06/05 09:30 AM Re: what to do...
Arcxnus Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBat:
My GT is already a pretty nicely equipped car and the L36 has decent punch and huge potential...I personally ruled out buying an SE based simply on the fact of all the equipment it didnt have (no offense)...but if it were me and I wanted the nicer optioned car I wouldnt worry to much about trading down...if I'm getting a better car I wanted, used model years dont mean much to me.
I totally agree, T-bat. I know I didn't have any choice in buying the GT all those years ago, and I definitely didn't have any choice in getting it once my mom got a new car, but I feel very lucky to have what I do. People my age either get a crappy car that they hate, or a Mustang. :p

And yeah, I'm sure I have GTP envy sometimes, but on the other hand, the GT requires a bit less maintenance since it doesn't have a supercharger, and the L36 can still kick it to 'em, even stock. It's nice to have, and also nice to being able to maintain easily, especially since I drive it everyday and I need it to be dependable. The GT has an amazing potential to be both an awesome daily driver and a kickass car-eating machine. lol It has many options available to it, and even after eight years and almost 109k miles, it's still a great car.

I can't say anything about trading down, though. The only thing further "down" would be a 97 SE. lol
#155922 - 05/06/05 09:35 AM Re: what to do...
wishitwasaGTP Offline
[/QUOTE]
I can't say anything about trading down, though. The only thing further "down" would be a 97 SE. lol [/QB][/QUOTE]

I guess that is true...
#155923 - 05/06/05 09:39 AM Re: what to do...
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Arcxnus:
the GT requires a bit less maintenance since it doesn't have a supercharger
Well, yes a GT requires a BIT less mainenance than a GTP. The only thing required on a GTP that is not required on a GT, is changing the S/C oil. That's it.
wink

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#155924 - 05/06/05 09:54 AM Re: what to do...
Arcxnus Offline
Exactly! lol

And it's one less thing to mod. :x
#155925 - 05/06/05 10:40 AM Re: what to do...
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by wishitwasaGTP:
Well as far as my SE goes the only thing its missing to me is an L67. The car is also been sold. mad So I guess it wasnt ment to be.
Maybe another GTP will come across and may be a better deal for you. Forgetaboutit!
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#155926 - 05/06/05 11:57 AM Re: what to do...
wishitwasaGTP Offline
I guess Ill just see what may come along. Im not definitly going to do anything yet. The car kinda just fell in my lap. Wanted to see what you all thought about it.
#155927 - 05/06/05 12:10 PM Re: what to do...
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
As for which years to avoid etc. Yes the first couple years had their problems when new. But remember this most of those problems have more then likely been dealt with by previous owners and now the only problems to deal with are age/mileage issues common to all years. Remember those ratings were for "New" or a year to two years old. I guess what I'm saying is don't shy away from one just because it is a 97 or 98. The only problem I've had with my 98 (knock on wood) is a front hub replacement but that's common across the line.
#155928 - 05/06/05 12:40 PM Re: what to do...
wishitwasaGTP Offline
The reason Im really thinking about trading for a GTP is the SE a great car and all there isnt too much I can do w/ it. I may just suck it up and keep it till its all paid off and save my $$$ along the way and get something then for a toy and keep the GP as a daily driver.
#155929 - 05/06/05 01:13 PM Re: what to do...
DoberManJT Offline
Loc: North Carolina - Raleigh/Cary
Quote:
Originally posted by wishitwasaGTP:
The reason Im really thinking about trading for a GTP is the SE a great car and all there isnt too much I can do w/ it. I may just suck it up and keep it till its all paid off and save my $$$ along the way and get something then for a toy and keep the GP as a daily driver.
That, my friend, is a wise decision IMO. thumbsup
The SE is no racer, but it's a good, reliable daily driver with more power and style than alot of similar cars. Pay off the SE (which can't be that much :p ) and for a year take the amount you'd been paying for the car and set it aside. Figure if you're paying $200-$250/month well over a year that's $2400-$3000 you can save up as a downpayment for a weekend racer and keep the GP as a daily.

In the meantime, you can at least make your car uniquely yours. Paint some stuff in the engine compartment. Throw on a front and rear STB and get the GMPP suspesion kit for a great price and right there you will notice enough handling improvement to have some twistie-road fun thumbsup

04 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, LPE intake system, headers, dyno tune from "RPM"

http://photobucket.com/albums/v221/Dobermanjt/GrandPrix/
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >