Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#156985 - 06/06/09 12:16 AM Dealership greater then shop? O.o
GTPCompG Offline
Loc: Ames, Iowa
Well today I went to CarX, they took a look @ my brakes for free and told me that I needed new rotors for sure, and that I needed new pads as well along with brake hardware, etc. They wanted around $450-500 for that. I said no thanks and left (and im very glad I did), so I decided I'd take it to Pontiac dealership. From there they said that the rotors could be resurfaced and the brake pads could be replaced but brake hardware was not necessary. They also took a look at a noise I was having up front which they could not locate because the shop was about to close (keep in mind the dealership also got me in last second on a friday afternoon), and the total for all that ended up only costing me $200. They also performed a case relearn for me and gave me some great customer service. I guess the dealership isn't that bad sometimes?

I would have had a great afternoon but they didn't have any GTO's or G8's around for test driving:(

Inferno Package/CAI/180tstat/3" DP/AL 104 XP's/3.8 MPS/Tuned
#156986 - 06/06/09 12:33 AM Re: Dealership greater then shop? O.o
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
If your brakes are pulsing, turning them is only a temporary solution. I would replace the front rotors.
If your brakes aren't pulsing I don't know why you would turn them unless you've got some grooves on the braking surface.

http://pdxcgp.com
#156987 - 06/06/09 12:37 AM Re: Dealership greater then shop? O.o
jorgs_7 Offline
Loc: Eagan,MN
Quote:
Originally posted by crimpton:
If your brakes are pulsing, turning them is only a temporary solution. I would replace the front rotors.
If your brakes aren't pulsing I don't know why you would turn them unless you've got some grooves on the braking surface.
I think a brake job was needed either way, The brakes were smoking...
#156988 - 06/06/09 12:54 AM Re: Dealership greater then shop? O.o
GTPCompG Offline
Quote:
The brakes were not pulsing. As far as resurfacing goes what all does that mean?

#156989 - 06/06/09 12:58 AM Re: Dealership greater then shop? O.o
crimpton Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by jorgs_7:
Quote:
[b] If your brakes are pulsing, turning them is only a temporary solution. I would replace the front rotors.
I think a brake job was needed either way, The brakes were smoking... [/b]
Not denying that the brakes don't need attention, just giving my thoughts on the rotors.

#156990 - 06/06/09 01:04 AM Re: Dealership greater then shop? O.o
GTPCompG Offline
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by jorgs_7:
[b]
Quote:
[b] If your brakes are pulsing, turning them is only a temporary solution. I would replace the front rotors.
I think a brake job was needed either way, The brakes were smoking... [/b]
Not denying that the brakes don't need attention, just giving my thoughts on the rotors. [/b]
Is resurfacing the rotors just turning them around?

#156991 - 06/06/09 01:10 AM Re: Dealership greater then shop? O.o
crimpton Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by GrandPrixGTAlpine:
Quote:
The brakes were not pulsing. As far as resurfacing goes what all does that mean? [/b]
Resurfacing means putting your rotors on a machine to grind the rotor surface smooth..... If the surface is smooth to begin with why bother?(IMO).
Some people say it removes the glazing... I think that one hard brake from 60MPH glazes the rotors... Are we supposed to resurface everytime we have a panic stop?
I'm not a big fan of "resurfacing" or "turning". If a rotor is bad I replace it, but it has to bad.

#156992 - 06/06/09 01:15 AM Re: Dealership greater then shop? O.o
GTPCompG Offline
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by GrandPrixGTAlpine:
[b]
Quote:
The brakes were not pulsing. As far as resurfacing goes what all does that mean? [/b]
Resurfacing means putting your rotors on a machine to grind the rotor surface smooth..... If the surface is smooth to begin with why bother?(IMO).
Some people say it removes the glazing... I think that one hard brake from 60MPH glazes the rotors... Are we supposed to resurface everytime we have a panic stop?
I'm not a big fan of "resurfacing" or "turning". If a rotor is bad I replace it, but it has to bad. [/b]
Unfortunately for this situation I couldn't afford new rotors. The rotors were in not the greatest of shape and they said that I did not have to have new rotors. This is coming from a dealership too which you would think would want me to buy new rotors, but they did not, they didn't even bother asking me if I wanted new ones. The new brake pads and resurfaced rotors feel firm again when stopping and no vibration in the brake pedal. All is well.

Do you think the "brake hardware" was just balony from the auto shop? The dealer told me that the hardware rarely goes bad and that they were just trying to nickel and dime me.

#156993 - 06/06/09 01:23 AM Re: Dealership greater then shop? O.o
crimpton Offline
If you got a guaranteed brake job on all 4 corners for $200 you did OK. Without seeing the details of the "hardware" I couldn't tell you what the other shop was offering.

#156994 - 06/06/09 01:26 AM Re: Dealership greater then shop? O.o
GTPCompG Offline
Quote:
If you got a guaranteed brake job on all 4 corners for $200 you did OK. Without seeing the details of the "hardware" I couldn't tell you what the other shop was offering.
I got the 200 dollars for the fronts only. Also got ceramic pads as well.

#156995 - 06/06/09 01:30 AM Re: Dealership greater then shop? O.o
crimpton Offline
The other shop wanted $500 just for the front brakes?

Yah.... they were asking a bit too much, I think.

#156996 - 06/06/09 01:37 AM Re: Dealership greater then shop? O.o
jorgs_7 Offline
Loc: Eagan,MN
Car X is a bunch of D bags over there, the owner "Herb" is just a jerk IMO. I dont how he gets service with his customer service, seriously Ill go to tires plus 15 feet away.
#156997 - 06/06/09 01:43 AM Re: Dealership greater then shop? O.o
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
Unfortunately, most people don't work on their cars anymore, so shops can act how they want and charge what they want.

Seriously, if someone would open a garage with slightly cheaper labor and friendly, knowledgeable service *cough*Blackarrow*cough* they would make a KILLING. They would almost be one of a kind.
#156998 - 06/06/09 08:25 AM Re: Dealership greater then shop? O.o
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Pulsing is having your brake pedal "pulse" while you actuate the brakes.

Turning rotors isn't always successful. If the warp/grooves are too extreme your rotor could end up thinner then recommended and you'll need a new rotor after all.

A panic stop from 60 won't glaze the pads and rotor what does is a long heavy braking period and then holding the brake on not allowing the gasses to vent off.
#156999 - 06/06/09 08:43 AM Re: Dealership greater then shop? O.o
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
I understand you don't have the money to begin with. I also had the same problem(minus the smoking part) and I had my rear rotors turned but only lasted a couple of months before they started grinding while I was driving. When you get the money to replace the front brakes, do it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >