Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#158236 - 05/19/07 01:33 AM playin in paintshop again
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I keep toying with this "Grand Prix Phoenix" theme. The other night at work I ran across pics of the old "Motion Performance" Chevys and the paint scheme got the gears turning in my head. I realize the colors may look off a little but thats the nature of altering photos. The scheme is intended to be Fusion Orange metallic/ Black/ Torch Red accent striping.

the first shot covers the roof and circles the base of the backlight...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/thunderbat/GP_Phnx.jpg

After looking at that one for a few minutes i decided to see how it looked with the roof still black and stretching the accent stripe closer to the rear spoiler...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/thunderbat/GP_Phnx2.jpg

Then i took this image of another GP I had saved (I like the headlight covers) plus this one has the 4 vent hood...black grilles, scoop grilles and chin splitter. The perspective on the accent hood stripe is slightly off but you get the idea.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/thunderbat/GP_Phnx_ft.jpg

Sometime in the next couple days I'll do up a back shot but feel free to fire away with your opinions laugh

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#158237 - 05/19/07 07:49 AM Re: playin in paintshop again
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Cool.
#158238 - 05/19/07 08:48 AM Re: playin in paintshop again
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Very, very nice...why Mr. Foose, I didn't know you lived in Virginia... wink
#158239 - 05/19/07 11:27 AM Re: playin in paintshop again
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
They look very nice.

'97 SE with alot of mods
#158240 - 05/19/07 12:16 PM Re: playin in paintshop again
Richard Candelario Offline
I prefer chop 2, but would hafta see how you did the trunk. the hood is nice except for the T/A symbol. I really like the large Pontiac arrowhead taking up the whole hood like that, but I wouldnt put the firehawk/phoenix emblem on a GP, seems almost sacrilegious. I really liked the TBat symbol you had on your sig before going to "Thunder Across America". I think that one would be unique enough to not draw REALLY negative criticism from the purists.

The orange portion, are there phantom designs in the paint? It looks like there are, but I cant get my screen to tell me for sure.

One things for DARN sure: that would look sweet, and I think I would actually do something like that to my car. I dont say that often because I prefer the smooth, seamless look that only comes with a single color. But that scheme...masterpiece. I would like to see you actually do it, then meet somewhere so I can see it in person. Good job.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#158241 - 05/19/07 03:27 PM Re: playin in paintshop again
Kev-GTP Offline
Loc: Dallas, Tx
I agree with Richard all the way, T-Bat...
#158242 - 05/19/07 05:45 PM Re: playin in paintshop again
Just showed my wife your experimentation. She says she prefers the first one, but she said she's partial to that shade of orange. She also said either scheme would be cool to do. let me let you in on my wife a little bit here: she is incredibly non-committal on most subjects, especially cars. If she says she likes something in/on/around a car, you can most likely win awards.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#158243 - 05/19/07 06:44 PM Re: playin in paintshop again
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
hey tbat.... if you get bord sometime you can think of some sweet theme for me?? any ideas??
#158244 - 05/19/07 07:23 PM Re: playin in paintshop again
The Fridge Offline
Loc: Green Bay Wisconsin
Have fun paying for that paint job! Wow, that looks awesome. Definetly one of a kind.

CAI, 180deg thermostat

If Your Drinking A Coke Please PM Me The Code Eh?
#158245 - 05/19/07 08:40 PM Re: playin in paintshop again
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
i like the orange roof more than the black.

thats a pretty sweet scheme though
#158246 - 05/20/07 01:43 AM Re: playin in paintshop again
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I realize a lot of Poncho purists would gaffaw at a Phoenix theme on anything but a Firebird...but the Phoenix bird is present in many cultures around the world...in reality the term "Thunderbird" also refers to the ancient Native American legend of the giant bird that rose with the sun...but so much for culture, this is the automotive culture but I still like "bird of prey" themes and names for cars and since Pontiac has turned its back on the Firebird I dont feel so bad about using it. I also feel the GP is a worthy musclecar with a somewhat "gray area" namesake. The term "grand prix" does bring racing images to mind but nothing very tangible to transfer to a graphic design. GM/Pontiac also slapped the "Phoenix" name on a decidedly unworthy shoebox a few years back but thank goodness that car died. I've often told friends of mine that I felt the Bonneville SSEi and the GTP were cars that were Firebirds when they finally grew up.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#158247 - 05/20/07 11:33 AM Re: playin in paintshop again
LOL @ finally growing up. This rationale certainly does not help out the coupes vs. sedans debate on our other board.

Since I had some time to think about it, I think the KnightHawk symbol that you had conjured up would be a suitable replacement, and would bring a lot less leering stares from the F-Body crowd, and it's close enough to the 'Bird emblem that you're not losing anything. Not to mention also that you would have a FULL custom paint job by not using factory emblems at all. Would you mind posting your various symbols so we could all try and help you decide? ya know: Rising Phoenix, Firehawk, KnightHawk, ThunderBat, Firebird, and any others you've played with. Too bad taking up a collection to get the TBat repainted wouldnt happen...

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#158248 - 05/20/07 03:29 PM Re: playin in paintshop again
20gtp02 Offline
That first one is sick! I don't care for the hood that much. Did you ever hook up HERCMAN with his chop photo in the desert.

#158249 - 05/20/07 03:37 PM Re: playin in paintshop again
snowrider900 Offline
Loc: Owatonna mn
That first one is awesome thumbsup
#158250 - 05/21/07 04:56 PM Re: playin in paintshop again
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
yea, I love the first one as well.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >