Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159001 - 12/31/05 06:28 PM A US version of Top Gear
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Sweet the one show I love watching when I'm in Europe Top show and Discovery is gonna make one for us I can't wait

The Top Gear tv show has quietly become a global phenomenon. Recent figures suggested an extraordinary viewership, something in the region of one billon people across the globe. This explains why Jeremy Clarkson gets mobbed on the streets of Dubai, why Richard Hammond is swooned over by housewives in Auckland and why James May will shortly appear on a series of commemorative stamps in Luxembourg. Probably. Only one country has been strangely resistant to the Top Gear phenomenon - the United States of America.

Until now. Earlier this year, Discovery decided they wanted in on the Top Gear action, starting with 18 repackaged shows using existing items from TG UK. Accordingly, the hosts spent five days at the Top Gear base recording new studio segments in a more American-friendly way. Basically, getting Jeremy Clarkson not to call them fat and stupid. This, however, was a mere entree for Discovery's main plan: to make thier own version of Top Gear on US soil. Thier own studio, thier own test track, even - since the UK hosts were too busy and James May doesn't like places that don't serve a decent cup of tea - thier own hosts.

That's why earlier this year a brand new TG USA production team assembled deep in the Mojave desert to create a pilot show for thier version of Britain's favourite almost-BAFTA-winning car show. And, like thier idea of what constitues a decent cup of coffee, the American take on Top Gear wasn't entirely the same as UK's. Instead of a shabby hangar and a track built around air field runways, they got a pit garage and a proper circuit. Instead of filling the studio with 200 grunting Subaru drivers, they did without an audience. And instead of The Tall One, The Short One and The Other One, they hired three rather different American presenters. Bruno, a professional drag racer with casual tales of crashing at 230mph. John, the super keen jock, blessed with quaint 'sir and m'am' good manners that only Americans can do. And, Johnny, a former reality show winner with a weird sense of humor.
#159002 - 12/31/05 06:34 PM Re: A US version of Top Gear
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Can't wait!
I love car shows. smile

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#159003 - 12/31/05 06:50 PM Re: A US version of Top Gear
jeremy Offline
Loc: Mableton, GA
i would much rather see the original top gear from england those guys are great and i think the reason the so is doing so well is because of them. i dont think that americans can even come close to the humor that comes of of britan.

#159004 - 12/31/05 06:50 PM Re: A US version of Top Gear
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
for those who don't know about Top Gear here is one of their episodes

top gears review of the ford GT click play video