Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#15929 - 08/23/06 12:26 PM GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
I'm going to look at an 02 GTP this afternoon. It's got 59k on the clock, dealer is asking upper 12k's for it. No warranty, sold as-is.

What do I need to be looking at? I know I'll need to make sure the tranny isn't possessed and all that, but this is my first time seriously looking at a car and getting someone that knows what they're doing to go with me is proving to be difficult.
#15930 - 08/23/06 01:50 PM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
ShawnGP Offline
Loc: Winnipeg, Canada
if ur paying 12k for it, say i want to warrenty for free, n if they say no then say okay ill go check (whatever) dealership instead.
#15931 - 08/23/06 02:47 PM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
Canadian GTP Offline
Loc: Edmonton Alberta
I'll let the "Big Dog's" give the good advice, however.. I do have an open account at carfax if you want me to run one for you.

I found it extremely helpful buying mine, as it showed the previous owner took it into the dealership diligently every 5000km's for a tune up etc..

If you want one, fire me the vin!

Cheers!

Intense PCM, 3.5" Pulley, SLP C.A.I, 3" D/P, Flipped FSB, U-Bend Delete, Flowmaster 50 Series, Autolite 605's, Drilled 180 Thermo, Falken FK-451's (245/45ZR18), Motegi FF7 Hyper Black 18x7.5, SS Grills, Tint & Overlays here and there.
#15932 - 08/23/06 03:41 PM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Only thing extra I'd check with The GTP over any other car is the condition of the S/C belt and listen to the snout on the blower. If it has a rattling sound while under idle and disapears under accelleration that is a sign of a worn coupler. It's an easy fix but it could be grounds for knocking the price down the cost of having them replacing it. Which would probably be about 500.

four years old with 59k for 12k. You should be able to pick one up closer to 10k. Mine was stickered for 14k and I walked away with mine for 10.6k
#15933 - 08/23/06 05:00 PM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
jjcom Offline
Loc: USA
Going through what I have on my Grand Prix, the previous owners bought it used with 70k miles (I think) for around that price. But def try talking them down on price if at all possible. Try some hard breaking on a empty flat road and see if it pulls any way, listen to see if they squeak. Good check for the ABS system as well. Look at the rotars and see if they appear thin/worn. Check coolant level, and other fluids. Remember to check the basics out, we forgot for my car, but were lucky and it worked fine. That is, windows, wipers, washer, lights, door locks, turn signals (right front side light didn't work, had to get new bulb and harness) and anything else you can think off.
#15934 - 08/23/06 05:28 PM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
Arcxnus Offline
Thanks guys, this is very, very helpful, especially since I'm pretty much a n00b at superchargers.

I figured they were asking too much, but I didn't know exactly what to hit on to make them go "oh, sh-t, she's figured us out!"

And Canadian, you are my hero .. I am going on a car lot rampage this weekend, and I'll probably come back with a handful of VINs so I'll take you up on that offer. laugh
#15935 - 08/23/06 06:07 PM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
1BAD97 Offline
Check the color of the brake fluid (clear=good, black=bad), and take off the radiator cap and see what it looks like underneath. Also, check to make sure the lower intake gaskets aren't the plastic ones, they should be the new metal ones. IIRC, there was a recall for it, but i'm not 100% sure. I'd have them change it over to the metal ones regardless because of all the failures of the plastic ones. Around 100k miles is when the plastic ones go, and take a bearing with them when they leak coolant into your oil.

Check the trans fluid, note the color and smell. If it's funky in ANY way (low, burnt smell, dark, etc), walk away. Especially since they're not offering any kind of warranty. Price is def. too high, unless it has EVERY option available for a GTP.

EDIT: Oh yeah, make sure you get some WOT shifts in on the test drive, both upshifts and downshifts. Any slipping = walk away.
#15936 - 08/23/06 06:30 PM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Post up pics when you get it.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#15937 - 08/23/06 07:11 PM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
also, check every place that may have a potential rock chip. (bottom of doors, behind tires, etc) if it has any kind of off color paint other than what looks to be primer, then it's probably been wrecked and repaired at one time or another and check for the spacing between doors, fenders, hood, trunk, etc to see if they all have even spacing, and flow extremely smoothly, that's another sign of accident. look under the car to see if the cradle is all scraped up. if it is, it might mean that the car was driven by someone who doesn't care, and it may end up with oil pan leaks, etc in the near future. not saying it will, but definately something to look at!!
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
#15938 - 08/23/06 07:15 PM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
also, if dealer is selling it "as-is/no warranty" doesn't that kinda make you wonder why? most dealers will offer a warranty regardless cause it's more money in their pockets
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
#15939 - 08/23/06 07:21 PM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Hi 1BAD97, you mentioned metal lower intake gaskets; where can I buy these? Thanks in advance! smile
#15940 - 08/23/06 10:16 PM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
pedal down Offline
Loc: Niagara Falls, NY
look at the bolts around the tranny and oil pans to see if they are wet/leaking. but with 59k it should be pretty healthy. latter down the road when its too late you will find out how it was taken care of. but thats the risk of used cars.

Homemade K&N FWI, Ported Mani's, 3" RT DP soon: PCM, HV TB, HV3
#15941 - 08/23/06 10:27 PM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
1BAD97 Offline
"Hi 1BAD97, you mentioned metal lower intake gaskets; where can I buy these? Thanks in advance!"

The dealerships should be carrying them now, as they replaced the plastic ones. ZZP also stocks the metal ones.
#15942 - 08/23/06 10:54 PM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
it seems kind of odd the dealership does not offer a warranty on it. So be careful on that.
#15943 - 08/24/06 08:56 AM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
Kansas GXP Offline
Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Arcxnus, that actually seems like a good price, Atleast when you look here in Kansas, everything that is supercharged, for arround that mileage the dealerships here are wanting anywhere from $15,000-$13,000 for cars w/ a warranty. I know that I am going to sell mine in a few months, and I was going to put $12,500 on mine, and I won't be offering any warranty.... Maybe the prices are higer here though, b/c I was even offered $11,000 to trade it in b/c of the demand for the '02 GTP's w/ 2 doors. Just my $.02 worth.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >