Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#15974 - 08/28/06 09:34 PM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
jjcom Offline
Loc: USA
That is good smile Then even if the car leaves you stuck somewhere, you're still covered. Nice warenty smile
#15975 - 08/28/06 11:02 PM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
Alright, just got a chance to take it out on an empty straight road. First off, the good part. GTPs.are.awesome. As soon as I find better words to say it, I will.

Now for the other thing. I did what someone suggested, got it up to highway speed and let off, RPMs dropped to 1k. Noticed something else while messing around. From 35 to 40, the RPMs rise over 2k then around 40mph, it drops back down to 2k or a little less, then when it hits 50mph, it jumps back up. I assume this is OD/4th gear freaking out? None of the other gears are giving a problem.

*clueless* Thank you all for your wisdom. thumbsup
#15976 - 08/29/06 02:09 AM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
1BAD97 Offline
"I did what someone suggested, got it up to highway speed and let off, RPMs dropped to 1k."

That would've been me. You don't have a 4th gear. Well you do, but the clutch shaft that engages it is stripped out. If you don't do much hwy driving, you can leave it the way it is indefinately. If you do drive above 50 mph often, you'll either need a new trans, or a rebuild. If you've got a warranty, get the trans replaced now.

EDIT: Makes sense since you said the car was mostly driven in the city, the previous owner would never have known about this issue unless going 70 MPH or more.
#15977 - 08/29/06 08:39 AM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
Kansas GXP Offline
Loc: Topeka, Kansas
I would get that tranny replaced now. Do not but it without getting that fixed, as it could come back to bite you in the @$$ later... IMO.
#15978 - 08/29/06 03:42 PM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
Arcxnus Offline
Good news - Dealership says they'll fix it without tacking more money onto what I'll pay for it. laugh
#15979 - 08/29/06 04:13 PM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
jjcom Offline
Loc: USA
That's good laugh Sounds like everything else is fine though, so you've found a pretty nice car there. Kind of strange what the transmission is doing there, but at least the car is driveable.
#15980 - 08/29/06 04:25 PM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
Arcxnus Offline
Yeah, I agree wholeheartedly. It's very strange .. Of course, I live out in the boondocks, where the GT was constantly driven in highway speeds, and not much in the way of city so I've never seen something like this. Live and learn. laugh

I'll keep you guys updated on the goings-on.

I can't express enough gratitude .. You guys are quick, and you know your stuff. Thank you all so much!
#15981 - 08/29/06 04:50 PM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
1BAD97 Offline
"Good news - Dealership says they'll fix it without tacking more money onto what I'll pay for it"

That's good, but be very leary of the work a "dealership" does. Double and triple check everything when you pick the car up, don't even drive it away without checking the trans fluid to make sure it's full, and full of the correct fluid (you'd be surprised). Also, find out if the plan to replace the trans with a rebuild, rebuild the current trans, or (least likely) install a NEW trans.
#15982 - 08/29/06 06:51 PM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Hi Arcxnus, I'm glad everything seems to be working out well for you, and that you did in fact find the "as is" demon(I knew there had to be at least one in there somewhere! wink ). Having said that, X2 what 1BAD97 said, and please keep us updated; I love happy endings! thumbsup
#15983 - 08/30/06 05:09 AM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Arc. is this work being done under warrenty? Ask for an inhouse service report on the work done so if the same problem comes around in the future you have something to fall back on. By the way nice purchase and good luck .Chico.
#15984 - 08/30/06 11:41 AM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
mygtp99 Offline
Loc: Ohio
Did she buy it yet?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2407940
#15985 - 08/30/06 06:13 PM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
Arcxnus Offline
The dealership took a look at it today to confirm that it really wasn't shifting into fourth, and what they found was what JJ was saying.

They took it over to a Pontiac dealership to let them do the work, and the possibility of getting an entirely new transmission was mentioned before I even had a chance to ask about it, so that's good. Plus, they're getting the Pontiac place to check the car for anything and everything else that could be a problem. AND! If anything needs replacing, including the trans, there's a good chance whatever it is that gets worked on will get another warranty to go along with what I'll already be getting.

I was really worried about them rushing through fixing it just to get it out and sold. I haven't let my bank draft the loan yet, and I won't until it's completely fixed. Trans work is pretty labor-intensive, and this dealership doesn't seem to be worried about taking the extra time to make sure the things that are wrong now are fixed appropriately, and that anything else that could be wrong is checked.

I keep hearing you guys talk about dealership horror stories, but these guys are being awesome about this. They call me when they say they will, they get things done when they say they will, and they let me know everything that's going on. And I haven't even bought it yet!

On top of all this, I'm borrowing their cars, lol. I'm driving an 06 G6 they had on the lot while the GTP is getting checked. When the work they do checks out and I make sure everything is up to snuff, this GTP is as good as MINE. MWAHAHAHA~
#15986 - 08/30/06 06:29 PM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
What's the first thing on the list?

devilsmile

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#15987 - 08/30/06 07:12 PM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
Arcxnus Offline
Darn you .. Don't tempt me!

..... Okay, that u-bend has to go. lol I'll have to plan out saving for muffs and tips, so give me a bit and it will be done in one fell swoop. laugh I'm workin' on the typical 20-year-old's budget here, so give me a bit. :p

Also just got another call with even better news -- The Pontiac dealership is just going to go ahead and drop a new tranny in the GTP! This will all be very strange for me; I got the GT when it had 91k on it, so a relatively new GP is something foreign to me .. and doing the same mods over again on something more powerful, well.

I'm feelin' the bug.
#15988 - 08/30/06 07:47 PM Re: GTP Guys: Advice? --The saga continues.--
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
Heck YES!!

'97 SE with alot of mods
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >